F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Car and Driver Tests of F10 535i and E60 535i Compared

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Buying a house based solely on its square footage is like judging a car on its inner volume and head and leg room, which doesn't relate to the arguments here.

On the other hand, buying a house on basis of its elevation above sea level and its height in meters compared to the average height of nearby houses while judging the neighborhood where the house is located upon the density of area built to the landscape area and the heading of the house in degrees with respect to north indicating frontal wind across the year is like buying a car relying on its specifications and tests, not necessarily tests conducted by magazines or websites, but tests which the individual buying the car should conduct by himself and see whether the results are satisfying to him or not.

The numbers translate the engineering design and the handling feel to the reality ground, and if specifications were not that important, then we would not see BMW bragging about their weight distribution being closer than ever to 50/50 or MB bragging about the W212 Cd of 0.25. These engineering numbers are translated to the reality ground through tests.

And of course no one will buy a car depending solely on its numbers, If that was the case, I would be a proud owner of Westfield Megabusa by tomorrow morning. The car has to appeal to the buyer from most aspects, which include the measurable capabilities of the car as well.

Circular arguments are healthy as they motivate us to read more thus adding to our existing knowledge.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
The two dissapointments for me on the F10 design were the the handling feel at the limit and the wind noise at top speeds.
For wind noise, the C& D tests have 69 dBA (lowest of the 3 tested) for the F10 at 70 mph (I understand this is not top speed), and 68 dBA for the E60. The Insideline tests have 67 dBA and 61.2 dBA respectively, and there's no mention of wind noise by Insideline. These tests show that the noise level can vary. Maybe the wind condition wan't favourable for the F10 when you tested the car?
ps From the tests made, imo they don't show any substantial difference in handling at the limits (as the specs are different, and we'll be going into our circuitous argument here I can't say personally as I've not driven the E60
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by bm323
For wind noise, the C& D tests have 69 dBA (lowest of the 3 tested) for the F10 at 70 mph (I understand this is not top speed), and 68 dBA for the E60. The Insideline tests have 67 dBA and 61.2 dBA respectively, and there's no mention of wind noise by Insideline. These tests show that the noise level can vary. Maybe the wind condition wan't favourable for the F10 when you tested the car?
ps From the tests made, imo they don't show any substantial difference in handling at the limits (as the specs are different, and we'll be going into our circuitous argument here I can't say personally as I've not driven the E60
The F10 is a much better isolated car than the E60, that's why it achieves better dB figures. In post #20, and in all my previous posts, I stated "wind noise at top speeds", i.e. at 230 to 240 km/h. C&D tests are done at 70 mph, which is equivalent to 112 km/h, which is half the speed I am referring to, i.e. where the car is subject to one quarter (1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4) of the air resistance. I tried both cars back to back on Ain Sokhna road which has one straight of the length of about 6 kms (check it on google earth) and found the F10 to have higher noise at top speeds due to air resistance (the air blowing sound). So I agree that the F10 is much better in sound level isolation on most speeds except for top ones as I mentioned in all my post .

If you ever have the chance, please drive an E60 just to have an idea about the old car .

Are you not going to give feed back about your F10 engine?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

The problem here is that there isn't any track to push the F10 535i, and if one accumulates too many demerit points, a driving suspension is automatically imposed. I can't risk this The highest I've driven so far is accelerating fast to only about 120 kmph for a very short distance (the max speed on expressways here is 90 kmph). Well, I find it great for overtaking and the lag is minimal, if at all. I would prefer a deeper engine sound. I've not seen any F10 550i here and the sole agent here doesn't even have it on display; it would be a real beast. But a rather caged up one here I still look forward to driving the F10 everyday. Initially, I thought it's rather too luxurious, but I've grown to like this. It is sufficiently sporty though at times I prefer to drive my wife's E90 523i, it's more connected. Adaptive drive's active anti-roll works great, but I prefer the chassis tighter in sport mode.

Yes, I would like to drive a E60 if I've the opportunity to
Old 10-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i Titanium Silver (F10)

if you buy a house with facts and figures ull probs end up somewhere rubbish just that you get the most for your money... choose a car on your own principles not a motoring journalist's
Old 10-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

I always test drive the car or check the house completely before buying it, and aided with numbers and figures I don't usually settle on the wrong decision.

I test drove both cars back to back, the E60 proved to have better handling than the F10. The F10 proved to be more luxurious and comfortable and excelling in all other aspects.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Members

hey guys have you seen the dyno test of the same 535i tht inside line tested? it was 30 hp down at 277!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Scudeyyy
hey guys have you seen the dyno test of the same 535i tht inside line tested? it was 30 hp down at 277!
U sure u read that right? That's probably 277hp at the wheels - add 10% for drivetrain loss and its right about 300hp as BMW stated.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Shahid
if you buy a house with facts and figures ull probs end up somewhere rubbish just that you get the most for your money... choose a car on your own principles not a motoring journalist's
What if your principle is like those of the motoring journalists? Shallow or deep, these discussions further elaborate on the car's number and other individual's empirical experiences and opinions. Keep in mind that these opinions are no "fan-boy" opinions, so for what they are worth, they are good reads and not a waste of time. Thanks, Shebs, for sharing.