F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The "set-up"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://tinyurl.com/3jtqm2u

I can see this powerplant in a roadster .. or even an entry-level coupe/sedan (1/3 Series) ... but not in a 5'er.

At least not in the USA - Europe has had decades to become accustomed to excellent smaller power-plants - even Diesel. But the typical USA buyer is stuck in another rut. Even the 335d has been scrapped for the USA because BMWNA couldn't figure out why US buyers wouldn't part with $50K+ for a economy car (albeit a very quick and outstanding 'economy car')!

PS> Asked the Mods to move to the F10 (not M5) section of the forum
Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

one day you'll get it.

really can't understand why the number of cylinders under the bonnet matters. Shame you can't drive a 4 pot.

I love my 185bhp I've topped it out at 140mph and get 55 mpg on a run. Makes the extra 4 cylinders seem rather redundant??
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
one day you'll get it.
+1!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
http://tinyurl.com/3jtqm2u

I can see this powerplant in a roadster .. or even an entry-level coupe/sedan (1/3 Series) ... but not in a 5'er.

At least not in the USA - Europe has had decades to become accustomed to excellent smaller power-plants - even Diesel. But the typical USA buyer is stuck in another rut. Even the 335d has been scrapped for the USA because BMWNA couldn't figure out why US buyers wouldn't part with $50K+ for a economy car (albeit a very quick and outstanding 'economy car')!

PS> Asked the Mods to move to the F10 (not M5) section of the forum
Fuel at £1.37 a litre has abig part to play!!!

One day people will look back and wish we had used the oil a bit more carefully!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I like it personally. Why not have a 5 series with a 4 cyl engine, especially one that gets more HP and Torque than the I6 it's replacing?
Here in America we have this silly saying "there's no replacement for displacement", which is fine when gas is 25 cents/gal, but when it's hovering around $4 (and that's cheap compared to Europe) it seems just stupid. I'd buy a twin turbo 4 cyl 5 series, why not? Imagine the tuning potential? One tune and you're probably around 300-325 HP, upgrade intercooler and you're at 350 and STILL getting around 30 mpg and telling those big Detroit V-8's to kiss your ass.

Where is it written that if you drive a 5er you don't care about saving some coin on gas and/or the environment? Especially since it seems fairly obvious now (based on the freakishly weird weather we've had) that climate change is real.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

That's a smart opinion. Especially after after my small questionaire about the speed limits in US.
See This!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Contributors

one day you'll get it.
Actually I got it a long time ago ... notice my username (Luigi524td)! My first BMW, more than two decades ago, was a 1986 524td. Today I wish I hadn't recycled it after a mere 300,000+ miles!

My post referenced (first) the US market and how it will react to a 4 cyl 5 Series and (second) utter frustration that the diesel versions will now be relegated to the SAV's ... and the 3 series diesel version goes away :thumbsdown: and will not be available for us in the US or in the 5'er
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i automatic, Space Grey, Black Dakota leather, Sport Package and Premium Package, Navigation, IPOD

I guess that we will find out. The thing is most guys here would really like a 550.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by running2
I guess that we will find out. The thing is most guys here would really like a 550.

I guess 'mericans ain't too bright!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

I guess 'mericans ain't too bright!
it really depends on what you are purchasing and why..if one only buys their car for only pleasure, well perhaps efficiency is not the most important attribute, where the performance and feel of a naturally aspired engine can never be replicated with a smaller displaced turbo based engine. There are pros and cons to everything, but the fact that bmws keep getting bigger and heavier seems to smack one right in the face with the farce known as efficiency dynamics. Id have more respect for BMW if they FIRST made the cars smaller and more agile, using modern technologies and materials to reduce weight and mass, and THEN introduced smaller displacement / nominally more efficient turbo based engines to bring about a complete package that is based on efficiency and driving dynamics first and foremost. But, they are not, they are making larger and heavier cars in each new generation which is forcing them to use purely turbo based smaller displacement engines to gain their needed efficiency standards.

Its bs if you know what I mean to do it as they are, bass ackwards