F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The "set-up"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

My objection to the turbo 4 cylinder engine in the 5 series is that its a turbo and has 4 cylinders. Turbo engines will never be as reliable in the long run as normally aspirated engines. Especially with BMWs extended service intervals. If you change cars within the warranty period that may not be a big deal but it is for me. Also, a 4 cylinder engine is never as smooth as an in-line 6. I have been driving BMW sixes for years and years and they are fantastic, smooth engines. I just don't see that happening with a four. I was all ready to get a 528i until the new engine came along. Now I'll keep the E60 going a little longer and hope that BMW reverses course.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like most everyone in this forum, I was not very convinced when the F10 came out, especially after reading all the car mags and their not very glowing reviews of a new larger and heavier 5. So when my lease for my ?08 550 was up I could not pull the trigger and get into a F10 550, so I went a bought a E90 328 that was a lot of fun for about a month, then I got tired of the noise, the lack of power and creature comforts and the fact that I drove an F10 550 with manual transmission? and I was sold. Got my new 550 went around the US on an extended vacation and came to the startling conclusion that it is the best BMW that I have ever owned.

I drove a 2012 528 last week and I found it to be a very nice package. The thing that you have to be aware of is that for 2012 there is a transmission setting for economy that absolutely refuses to downshift and makes the car feel very slow. Just toggle the switch to normal or sport and you get an outstanding feeling sports sedan.

If you drive the 2012 and the 2011 back to back, I?m sure that most people would prefer the 2012, it is peppier and you do not feel any vibration at all. I also found the suspension to be very tight and not floaty at all as well as a very quick steering. The car drove much smaller than my 550, and by this I mean that it responded right away to throttle, brake and steering inputs, and this demo actually was very basic, it only had the premium and technology packages.