F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The "set-up"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by m630
it really depends on what you are purchasing and why..if one only buys their car for only pleasure, well perhaps efficiency is not the most important attribute, where the performance and feel of a naturally aspired engine can never be replicated with a smaller displaced turbo based engine. There are pros and cons to everything, but the fact that bmws keep getting bigger and heavier seems to smack one right in the face with the farce known as efficiency dynamics. Id have more respect for BMW if they FIRST made the cars smaller and more agile, using modern technologies and materials to reduce weight and mass, and THEN introduced smaller displacement / nominally more efficient turbo based engines to bring about a complete package that is based on efficiency and driving dynamics first and foremost. But, they are not, they are making larger and heavier cars in each new generation which is forcing them to use purely turbo based smaller displacement engines to gain their needed efficiency standards.
Interesting writing. But the world is changing as the market demands - faster than ever.

Modern cars need to be safer, faster and comfortly quiet and more environmentally aware than ever.
Every car must have all power features and much much more, as you know.
So even if a modern BMW uses a lot of aluminum and other low weigh steel constructions the weight increases.

I my opinion BMW still offers some nice products for the fun.
M1, M3 and also some Z4 models are what you are looking for as a second car.

But a modern super luxury grand touring car like the coming F10/63 M5/6 will not be good as your only car.
In this genre a Porsche or Ferrari is better.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by m630
it really depends on what you are purchasing and why..if one only buys their car for only pleasure, well perhaps efficiency is not the most important attribute, where the performance and feel of a naturally aspired engine can never be replicated with a smaller displaced turbo based engine. There are pros and cons to everything, but the fact that bmws keep getting bigger and heavier seems to smack one right in the face with the farce known as efficiency dynamics. Id have more respect for BMW if they FIRST made the cars smaller and more agile, using modern technologies and materials to reduce weight and mass, and THEN introduced smaller displacement / nominally more efficient turbo based engines to bring about a complete package that is based on efficiency and driving dynamics first and foremost. But, they are not, they are making larger and heavier cars in each new generation which is forcing them to use purely turbo based smaller displacement engines to gain their needed efficiency standards.

Its bs if you know what I mean to do it as they are, bass ackwards
Granted, you do make some good points. However, I think that is exactly why BMW offers the variety of engines they offer, so that the buyer can select the right car for their lifestyle. Therefore I don't lament the loss of normally aspirated engines, since forced induction has come a long way since the days when a turbo engine meant horrendous turbo lag. Today's turbos spool up MUCH quicker than they used to and the variable geometry turbos that BMW is now using make them that much better.
In an era when even Detroit is looking east, towards Europe for salvation and possibly survival. I think the days of NA push-rod V-8's are numbered at best because after nearly 70 years of development, in today's global market place they seem out of place, a relic of a bygone time.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Members

This is indeed a difficult question and one that I'm wrestling with currently. I've decided on either a 2012 528i or 535i and if comparably equipped, the net difference is around $3,500(US). I haven't had the opportunity to drive the new 4 banger yet but the 2011 inline 6 seemed adequate. Clearly not M3 type of performance, but as others have pointed out that's not the mission here. I just don't want to purchase an under powered car and regret my decision before the odo has clicked 1k miles. Frankly I want to like the smaller engine for several reasons not least being with age comes a "calmer" driving style, environmental concern and fuel costs. But merging onto the freeway and those moments of driving fun, I want to have an involving experience. Again, it doesn't need to pull G forces but it does need to offer "performance." Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

addysdaddy
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

I think you'll be fine with the "4 banger", this isn't a 70HP Civic engine - it is a turbo engine that delivers 245HP, which in most instances is more than enough to motivate the car to decent acceleration. Let's be honest, my car has 225HP and it get's up and moves just fine. I already know what the 4 cyl nay sayers will say, I know the F10 is heavier, but only by less than 200 lbs - which an extra 20HP more than makes up for.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Members

Would you have reservations purchasing a car with a brand new engine? The in-line 6 has been around forever and frankly it's a known quantity. Hate to be a beta tester.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Would you have reservations purchasing a car with a brand new engine? The in-line 6 has been around forever and frankly it's a known quantity. Hate to be a beta tester.
Not quite true, the current I6 engine has only been around since 2008 and has had HPFP issues since day 1. Yes, BMW has made an I6 engine for many, many years, but the newer engines are a BIG departure from the older versions.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Members

Driving the new 2012 528 4 cylinder this afternoon. Has M pkg & sport suspension (shifter paddles) and will report back with my impressions.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Driving the new 2012 528 4 cylinder this afternoon. Has M pkg & sport suspension (shifter paddles) and will report back with my impressions.
You are!! WOW ... Please do report on your impressions
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Members

Well friends, I sorry to report that for me, the 4 banger doesn't work. I've read the articles claiming better numbers and faster speeds and I was very hopeful. But driving in traffic this thing takes FOREVER to spool up and get going. I counted out loud to the salesman and it took over 2 seconds for the power to kick in. And frankly you can through the numbers out once your behind the wheel driving - it's all seat of pants. It was so disappointing the I terminated the test drive inside of 10 minutes. There is no way I would purchase a 5er with that engine, let alone that it's a brand new with no history whatsoever. IMO, the 2011 IL6 did a much better job of powering the 528. Shame I cannot find one with the equipment I desire, as they apparently are not dealing on the 535s. The pricing is insane and vastly different then I was expecting based on the reports from the Edmunds pricing forums - I'm talking $4-$5k more then reported there. I live in south Florida but still, even accounting for difference in regional pricing, I don't get it. Sorry everyone, I really really want to like this new engine.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Well friends, I sorry to report that for me, the 4 banger doesn't work. I've read the articles claiming better numbers and faster speeds and I was very hopeful. But driving in traffic this thing takes FOREVER to spool up and get going. I counted out loud to the salesman and it took over 2 seconds for the power to kick in. And frankly you can through the numbers out once your behind the wheel driving - it's all seat of pants. It was so disappointing the I terminated the test drive inside of 10 minutes. There is no way I would purchase a 5er with that engine, let alone that it's a brand new with no history whatsoever. IMO, the 2011 IL6 did a much better job of powering the 528. Shame I cannot find one with the equipment I desire, as they apparently are not dealing on the 535s. The pricing is insane and vastly different then I was expecting based on the reports from the Edmunds pricing forums - I'm talking $4-$5k more then reported there. I live in south Florida but still, even accounting for difference in regional pricing, I don't get it. Sorry everyone, I really really want to like this new engine.
I'm also disappointed to hear your personal experience was disappointing ... but not surprised. Even though the numbers might lead you to think the little engine that could - would ... well, sometimes the "experience" is felt outside of the statistics.

My personal feeling is that for USA drivers this powerplant is more "ideal" for a roadster, a smaller sport sedan like the "1" series, and an entry-level 3 series - NOT a 5'er! . And, I'm thinking BMWNA is going to kick themselves over this decision and add it to decisions like trying to get the GT to attract Touring buyers.