Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What is the top speed allowed in US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

What is the top speed allowed in US these days? It used to be 55 back in the '80's.
I know that it isn't the same in all states, but of what I have read it is not that high.
I have heard that in Utah on some roads there's no limits?

In Finland it is 120 km/h (75 mph) on the freeways in summer conditions.

The reason for my enquiry is that many US members seem to need to have a 550i or a M5.
And some ex-E60 550i owners feel that the new F10 is too heavy for them.

Yes, one can drive their cars on a racing track, but I guess not many is doing it,
and there are better suited BMW's and other cars for that use.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Contributors

The limit is defined locally, within the States. Wide open States may have higher guidelines due to the limited traffic...

In NY State, the speed limit is just 65MPH, but in the greater NYC metro area, including all boroughs and LI, its merely 55MPH!!!!!! And this mind you is for highway driving, local street driving is between 30-40MPHs!!!

Of course, things are getting more controlled, but in the past, there hasnt been any tech employed outside of radar/laser to semi-enforce, atleast in NY, we dont have speed cameras or anything, so , you can- if you have the will, desire, stupidity, or mojo, depending on how you define it, drive as fast as you want. Not recommending it, just talking what is possible. Often on roads here, the average speeds by moving traffic is in the 70-75MPH range and if everyone is driving at this pace, you have no worries that any LE will stop you even if they are monitoring. Though when you hit above 80 you WILL likely be singled out in traffic situations where LE is around.

But, this is the US and how its always been, even as we probably purchase a majority of the exotics produced worldwide (like in the case of the M); its the knowing that you CAN drive the M6 200+ MPH with a Dinan S1 remap that makes it the object of desire...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Depends where you go, some places (like cities) it's usually 55 mph. Some freeways it's 65 mph, then in more rural areas like Colorado, Kansas, Texas I've seen 80 mph speed limits. Then there's Montana, where (if the weather is good) there is no speed limit at all.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630
But, this is the US and how its always been, even as we probably purchase a majority of the exotics produced worldwide (like in the case of the M); its the knowing that you CAN drive the M6 200+ MPH with a Dinan S1 remap that makes it the object of desire...
When did we start considering an M3, M5, M6 exotic?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

In KY it's 70mph on all interstates/parkways.. Which means you can pretty much cruise near 80 and not get pulled over. I believe most states it's either 70mph, 65mph or even 55mph though. I don't know about any state's having speed limits above 70 (I've never driven in Montana or out west)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
When did we start considering an M3, M5, M6 exotic?
The exotic comment was in general terms not necessarily bmw, but I was also pointing out that more than half of the Ms sold worldwide are delivered here in the US. And while the M3 is not to be considered as such, the S85 by definition makes the CURRENT M6 and M5 an exotic, they represent the ultimate expression of purpose built engine technology, and anyone fortunate enough to have driven them should agree...205+MPH F1 based V10 from the factory, not many other offerings in the world even today can offer that level of performance......jmho!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by pradden
In KY it's 70mph on all interstates/parkways.. Which means you can pretty much cruise near 80 and not get pulled over.
That's about the same here.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Thanks, I just wanted that in writing.
Then a discussion like this is born.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Thanks, I just wanted that in writing.
Then a discussion like this is born.
As we know, these are the realities of life. In an "honest" world, if the laws of the road say you cant exceed say 70mph across the country, well then auto manufacturers should not be allowed to sell us such vehicles, right? Its like putting candy in front of a child, but putting a sign up that says DONT TOUCH THAT CANDY, and then leaving the room. This is the case all the world over except for certain very very lucky citizens of the world known as Germans with access to the autobahn. Even for the italian and swedish exotics, they build and offer road cars that are not legally allowable to exploit most of their performance, we all know this, but its the game that is played. I dislike (to put it mildly) hollywood stars, and all such celebrity life styliers so to speak, and they are ultimately the stupidest people in the world. They can afford to have someone drive them around, they dont need to be getting behind the wheel after a nite booozing.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Contributors

As we know, these are the realities of life. In an "honest" world, if the laws of the road say you cant exceed say 70mph across the country, well then auto manufacturers should not be allowed to sell us such vehicles, right? Its like putting candy in front of a child, but putting a sign up that says DONT TOUCH THAT CANDY, and then leaving the room. This is the case all the world over except for certain very very lucky citizens of the world known as Germans with access to the autobahn. Even for the italian and swedish exotics, they build and offer road cars that are not legally allowable to exploit most of their performance, we all know this, but its the game that is played.
Yes, this double moral is spread around the world...

Quick Reply: What is the top speed allowed in US?