E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Wind noise in new E61?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My first post... (after reading this forum for quite some time / and using the search function extensively)

About 2 months ago I have swapped my 530D E39 Touring for a brand new 535D E61. The E39 has been with me for over 200.000 kms, without major problems. The E61 is a nice upgrade ;-) Love the car, esp the engine. Wow...!

However, one thing I would appreciate your reactions on: my new E61 seems so much noisier than my worn out E39! I experience lots of wind noise (around front window?) in the E61 and there are some noises (certain frequency?) from cars driving in front of me that seems to come straight through, just like there is an opening somewhere?
I have read the many forum posts about high pitch due to bad glue, but in my case I'm concerned about the wind noise compared to the old E39. It starts to be annoying at 50 km/hr already.

I suspect the front window is not fitted correctly? Visual inspection looks OK. Of course, I'm going back to the dealer to have this checked, but would appreciate any experiences in this area. Just to be prepared... Many thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Hello and welcome, Jan!

Have you also considered RFT? It can well be the source of the noise..
Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may sound to simple to be the problem but i recently purchased a pre owned e60 and i was surprised with the wind noise at high speeds. a few days later my fiance was in the car and i complained to her that this car creates a alot of interior noise on the highway. she told me to shut the moonroof shade and see if it helped. i politely laughed and told her "sure baby ill shut the shade and see if that helps." would you believe that the noise was completely silenced? try it out, it may be the issue. of course if you dont have a moonroof this message is a waste of time, gl.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='723618' date='Nov 17 2008, 08:08 PM
this may sound to simple to be the problem but i recently purchased a pre owned e60 and i was surprised with the wind noise at high speeds. a few days later my fiance was in the car and i complained to her that this car creates a alot of interior noise on the highway. she told me to shut the moonroof shade and see if it helped. i politely laughed and told her "sure baby ill shut the shade and see if that helps." would you believe that the noise was completely silenced? try it out, it may be the issue. of course if you dont have a moonroof this message is a waste of time, gl.
I have notice a lot more aero noise from the roof on my E61, the roof on my 05 X5 had no noise.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='723618' date='Nov 17 2008, 09:08 PM
I've had the same experience, but there still wind noise coming from the dashboard at high speed I think.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Members

Thank you all for the quick replies! I forgot to mention in my original message that the car does not have a moonroof, so that can not be the cause unfortunately. It must be something else around the front windshield / ventilation intakes / ...?
On the RFT: I have tested this at all various road conditions, and eliminated the RFT noise from my observations (and to be honest: I can't wait till my non-RFT winter tyres will be mounted!)
Any more suggestions?

J
Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jan001' post='723932' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you all for the quick replies! I forgot to mention in my original message that the car does not have a moonroof, so that can not be the cause unfortunately. It must be something else around the front windshield / ventilation intakes / ...?
On the RFT: I have tested this at all various road conditions, and eliminated the RFT noise from my observations (and to be honest: I can't wait till my non-RFT winter tyres will be mounted!)
Any more suggestions?

J
Check the rubber window seals are seated properly in the drivers window. I have a 3 year old E61 and had the same sort of wind noise. Took it back to the dealer, they changed the window seals and the noise went.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My two last E60's had 18" RF's and 16" non-RF-non-spike winter tires.
Before that my E39 had non-RF tires.

My new car has 19" non-RF summer tires and 17" RF no-spike winter tires.

I never driven such a quiet car (E60) that I now do with my Nokian 225/50 17" non-spike RF tires.
Second best is the 19" non-RF's...