E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

STEALERSHIP at it AGAIN!??? e60 N54 turbo warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i xdrive, white, premium
Default STEALERSHIP at it AGAIN!??? e60 N54 turbo warranty

Two months ago I had one of my turbo/ wastegate assembly replaced by the local BMW dealership as they were making a ratcheting/ rattling noise during cold start and rpm drops. Last week my car was making the same exact noise so I suspected it was the other turbo/ wastegate assembly. My car is almost at 81,000 miles so I knew I just barley made the cutoff. The BMW dealer had it for a few days and no call. I called them up and the guy tells me it's not the turbo/ wastegate, it's the blow off valve making the noise and it's going to be $1,500 as my factory warranty ended in May of this year. I feel like this guy is trying to rip me off. I feel that since I am so close to the turbo warranty cutoff he is just saying it's something else and then when i come back next time I'll be over the 82,000 mile cutoff. I mean its the same exact noise, I'm not an idiot.

Maybe it could be something else, but does the blowoff valve make a ratcheting/ rattling noise if it is not working properly. I've never read anything about that. He said nothing is mechanically wrong with it, its just making noise and it would be $1,500 to make the noise go away. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to talk to him and address this. What do you guys think is going on here? I appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

we dont have a blow off valve on our e60 N54 535i

we have a diverter valve, that vents back into the intake. I do not think they should make any noise when they fail. When they fail they just leak boost.

and $1500 for a diverter valve?!?! now thats crazy!!! u can buy new turbos for that much from VTT.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

You can also ask them for a good-will covered repair. Seems like they should go for that given the recent repair on the other turbo.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:16 PM
New Members

Thank you, that's what I was thinking regarding the failed blow off/ diverter valve noise. BTW We do have a blowoff valve on the N54. Read this article. 2007 Engine Tech: How the N54 turbo engine works (must read!!!) and scroll like half way down.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM
New Members

Good-will covered repair? I think I will bring up the fact that I know that the warranty on the turbos are good until 82,000. He has never once mentioned that to me and I think, he thinks, I don't know about the warranty.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:15 AM
New Members

Ok went today and got the car. Sales guy says that turbos/ wastegate assembly checked out fine. The problem is the valve cover is leaking oil which is causing a low vacuum at the wastegates, which is causing the rattling. There is nothing wrong with the wastegate itself he said. Also the blowoff valve is leaking air and that is making a rattling noise too?? I told him I've never heard this, and he said, "yea it happens."

I think I'll DIY the valve cover gasket if need be, not paying $1,500 for that. The car has been running low on oil here and there so I can see some truth to this inspection, but I'm still a little weary that the turbo and wastegates are fine. I need to find another BMW shop or someone who knows these motors to check the turbos and confirm. Anyone know someone in the Baltimore Maryland area? How hard is to examine this your own to see if there is an issue with the turbo/ wastegate assembly?

Comments are appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM
New Members

Wow just found this forum post form a couple years ago. It basically says that the problem that this sales guy is telling me is complete B.S. Please read this and tell me if this is accurate.
leaky valve cover gasket symptoms?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Well, if the valve cover gasket is leaking, fix it asap. Then, if the problem is still there, take it back.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:53 PM
New Members

Been a couple weeks and have not shared my experience. Ended up talking to a friend who knows BMW's well and said the original diagnostics was bs. The bmw dealership forman was actually this kids uncle so my buddy mentioned it to him. The forman looked at it as well as a bmw rep engineer who was in the area and said the rattling at start up is normal because it goes away after a few minutes. Nothing wrong with the tubo/ wastegates. Fair, I believe that. My big concern here is what the forman told me regarding covering Turbos under warranty. He said, "The problem is if we send a turbo we think is defective to BMW, they inspect it and there is nothing wrong with it, then we have to cover the costs of the new turbo." Is this an accurate statement. I wish they could just replace the other damn turbo!!! I know with my luck it will go up in 1000 miles when I'm just over the cut line.

Last edited by srogers535x; 07-29-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 08 550i sport. n62tu

You're going to listen to a,sales guy over a mechanic? Lol
If your valve cover was leaking onto the waste gate actuator or the vac lines, all this would do is create low vac to the waste gate causing low boost and check engine lights. If the waste gate flap in the turbo is rattling, it's toast. Even with low vac it shouldn't rattle.

Quick Reply: STEALERSHIP at it AGAIN!??? e60 N54 turbo warranty