E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by Bingle
BMW considers the drains clogging to be a maintenance issue. Water leaks are specifically excluded as are most of the electronics. Bummer indeed!
So if it's a maintenance issue, then why isn't it in a manual to be done at xx miles? I've never heard of it being done...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Members

Good point - I asked my service adviser how to make sure this never happened again. He said if I was parking in a garage vs. outside it wouldn't be an issue. Not a very satisfying answer... I think the best thing we can do is keep an eye out for water in the car as pointed out in this thread. Now that I know where to look, I will be checking for it regularly.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Members

Does anyone know how to unclog or clear the rear drains or valves in a E60 2006 model?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Have you tested first to see if they're clogged? If the tips at the beginning of this thread don't work, just pour tequila down the sunroof drains!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Members

I would prefer to drink the tequila instead of pour it into the drains!!!
Yes I tested the drains and both in the rear are blocked.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM
CMJ
Members

Hi all

I recently changed my sunroof seal to correct wind noise. This worked a treat so I thought I would keep an eye open for water in the boot in case I had done something wrong. Guess what ? Small amount of water under the battery after a heavy down pour. So having looked at the instructions to unclogg the sunroof drains I decided to follow the remove bumper process.

Dead easy - even for a DIY ***k witt like me, drivers side was solid and half way up the pipe. Passengers side less clogged but still blocked. All in all took me less than 1.5 hours. On the basis my car is a 2006 and done 112,000 I have assumed I wont need to do this again under my ownership as based on all the stones etc in the rear bumper the rear bumper has clearly not been off before.

Again many thanks to all those that contribute to this and other car forums allowing people like me to do things I would never had attempted 5 or so years ago. We must be costing the dealers ££££'s in lost revenues !!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM
CMJ
Members

Hi all

I recently changed my sunroof seal to correct wind noise. This worked a treat so I thought I would keep an eye open for water in the boot in case I had done somethgin wrong. Guess what ? Small amount of water under the battery after a heavy down pour. So having looked at the instructions to unclogg the sunroof drains I decided to follow the remove bumber process.

Dead easy - even for a DIY ***k witt like me, drivers side was solid and half way up the pipe. Passengers side less clogged but still blocked. All in all took me less than 1.5 hours. On the basis my car is a 2006 and done 112,000 I have assumed i wont need to do this again under my ownership as based on all the stones etc in the rear bumper the rear bumper has clearly not been off before.

Again many thanks to all those that contribute to this and other car forums allowing people like me to do things I would never had attempted 5 or so years ago. We must be costing the dealers ££££'s in lost revenues !!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CMJ
Hi all

I recently changed my sunroof seal to correct wind noise. This worked a treat so I thought I would keep an eye open for water in the boot in case I had done somethgin wrong. Guess what ? Small amount of water under the battery after a heavy down pour. So having looked at the instructions to unclogg the sunroof drains I decided to follow the remove bumber process.

Dead easy - even for a DIY ***k witt like me, drivers side was solid and half way up the pipe. Passengers side less clogged but still blocked. All in all took me less than 1.5 hours. On the basis my car is a 2006 and done 112,000 I have assumed i wont need to do this again under my ownership as based on all the stones etc in the rear bumper the rear bumper has clearly not been off before.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CMJ
Hi all

I recently changed my sunroof seal to correct wind noise. This worked a treat so I thought I would keep an eye open for water in the boot in case I had done something wrong. Guess what ? Small amount of water under the battery after a heavy down pour. So having looked at the instructions to unclogg the sunroof drains I decided to follow the remove bumper process.

Dead easy - even for a DIY ***k witt like me, drivers side was solid and half way up the pipe. Passengers side less clogged but still blocked. All in all took me less than 1.5 hours. On the basis my car is a 2006 and done 112,000 I have assumed I wont need to do this again under my ownership as based on all the stones etc in the rear bumper the rear bumper has clearly not been off before.

Well done! To unclog the drains, did you blow compressed air thru the tubes from up top, after removing the headliner? Seemed like a lot of work to me, and I was hoping to be able to get away by possibly blowing air thru them from the sunroof drain itself, while it's open (the same way you pour water in the outer channels to test if the water is coming out or not).
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 AM
CMJ
Members

I read up 3 methods. 1. Blow air from up top 2. Fish around and remove the fuse box to grab the ends of the drain pipes from inside the boot 3. Remove the bumper. To me option 3 seemed the most straight forwards and I dont understand why people do 1 +2. (especially 2)

Based on how blocked up mine were no end of compressed air from the top would of cleared them. Once I had pulled the ends off I then blew compressed air UP the pipe and also ran water down the pipe from the roof to clean out the pipes and to make sure they were running freely before I put the ends back on.

Removing the bumper was really easy. 10 screws and 2 nylon rivots. (you may need to replace the nylon rivots as they are only designed to go in the hole and not come out)

I would suggest you need to do this before you start looking else where for your leak. BTW the vents are actually speakers I think !

Quick Reply: Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?