E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi,

I got water on the floor at the rear passenger seat, no water in the trunk, thank god for that!
Where are the rain gutter located, was going to see if I can use compressed air to clear the drains.

When it started to rain I saw some drops of water coming down inside the rail of the panorama roof, is that normal, is that where it is supposed to transport the water to the rain gutters?
(It didn't look like it was flooded)

Looks like it is going to rain all week so I am keen on getting this problem out of the way.

Thank you.

(Wow, my very first post on this forum!)
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Welcome to the forums!

Where are you located? And what year model is your E61?

To test if drains are clogged on any power sunroof... Open sunroof pour water on each side in the track area. The water should drain out immediately from the front and the rear. If not the drains are clogged. You can use compressed air first to try to clean them, but if they are still clogged, you must find the end of tubes and clean them - this requires removing the rear bumper.

There is also a TSB from BMWNA about this issue:

SI B 54 06 06
Special Roofs November 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B54 06 06 dated August 2006.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Water Leak from Panoramic Sunroof
MODEL
E53 (X5 SAV), E61 (5 Series Sport Wagon) and E83 (X3 SAV) equipped with Panoramic Sunroof (S402A)
SITUATION
Customer may complain of a water leak from the overhead console area during heavy rain or when driving/parking on a steep slope facing downhill.
CAUSE
Possible Causes:
A. Obstructed or damaged drains or drain tubes.
B. Void in the windshield urethane bead.
C. Excessive gaps between the glass panels and the perimeter seal.
D. Inadequate water management system in the sunroof cassette.
CORRECTION
In case of a customer complaint, inspect various components of the sunroof system. Perform a leak test and then perform the recommended repair based on the outcome of these inspections.
An improved sunroof cassette with an optimized water management system has been implemented in production since 10/05.
The current improved part is available as a complete color keyed cassette as opposed to the bare frame previously available.
PROCEDURE
Inspect for the following causes and perform the applicable repair.
Cause A: (Obstructed drains)
? Inspect the cassette drains and drain tubes for any obstructions or kinks in the tubes.
? If any concerns are found with these items, they should be cleaned/repaired/replaced as necessary.
Cause B: (Windshield sealant)
? Inspect the top edge of the windshield glass for any possible voids in the urethane bead.
? Using water or compressed air may help in locating a leak.
? If any voids are found, the windshield must be replaced.
Cause C: (Excessive panel gaps)
? Inspect the condition of the perimeter seal and the gap clearance between:
1. The sunroof glass and the roof panel.
2. The two glass panels.
3. Note: 5.8 plusmn; 0.3mm gap all around (without seal) is required and can be measured with the special gap tool, P/N 00 9 341, or similar.
? If any excessive gaps are found, adjust the glass panels as per RA 54 13 003.
? If any damage to the perimeter seal is found, replace this seal as per RA 54 13 055 and adjust the glass panels as per RA 54 13 003.
Cause D: (Inadequate water management)
? If no fault could be found with causes 1-3, perform the following actions:
1. If the vehicle was produced before 10/2005, replace the sunroof cassette per RA 54 13 080
If the vehicle was produced after 10/2005, do not replace the cassette but still perform the following countermeasures.
Note: The cassette available is the color-keyed updated cassette, complete with headliner and glass panels.
2. Apply light electrical contact grease on to all the electrical connectors and emergency call (SOS) switch in the front interior light console. The surface area must be cleaned as necessary.
3. Replace the perimeter seal as per RA 54 13 055.
4. Install the absorbent pad kit as per the instructions provided in the appropriate Absorbent pad kit attachment.
Note: This kit must be installed exactly as shown in the attachment for maximum effectiveness.
5. Perform additional sealing operation as described in the Cassette Sealing attachment.
6. Initialize sunroof per Repair Instruction 54 0 ...
7. Water test to ensure proper water management.
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Quantity
54 13 7 184 903 E53 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Light Grey 1
54 13 7 184 904 E53 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Light Beige 1
54 13 7 185 572 E53 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Anthracite 1
54 10 7 185 573 E53 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Pastel Green
54 10 3 436 363 E83 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Anthracite 1
54 10 3 435 213 E83 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Basalt Grey 1
54 10 3 435 217 E83 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Light Beige 1
54 10 3 436 311 E83 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Grey 1
54 13 7 184 899 E61 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Grey 1
54 13 7 184 900 E61 Panoramic Sunroof Cassette ? Beige 1
83 23 0 149 149 Electrical contact grease (NyoGel 760G) 1
52 20 3 421 311 E53 Felt Pad 5
51 48 8 211 922 E53 Roof Insulation Material 1
52 20 3 421 311 E61/E83 Felt Pad 2
54 13 7 180 747 E61/E83 Foam Pad 1
54 13 7 072 786 Perimeter Seal ? E53/E61/E83 1
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code Refer to KSD
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Here is a reply (from another forum) about the same issue - home made fix. E61 was a 2005 530d from Ireland.

"Don't panic! I have an E61 as well and suffered the same issue with water leak. Fortunately I was quick enough to recognise the issue and it didn't do any damage. Also, fortunately, it is a simple enough thing to resolve if you are DIY enabled. My leak came in the rear passenger side through various holes in the roof liner, mainly over the boot area.

Simply unscrew the rear pillar interior trim panels in the boot area, bearing in mind they will have an electrical connectyion for the light and the luggage cover release mechanism. These unclip simply enough. This will expose the edge of the roof liner at the pillar. Also pull off slightly, just enough, to expose the roof liner edge, the rubber tailgate seal. Gently prise the roof liner from its clips, taking care not to crease or dirty it. There are 3 main clips about 200m in from the edge of the liner fixed to the car roof structure. These will unclip easliy enough if you're careful. You only need about 200mm access space so it's not that hard to achieve. This will eventually expose the interior of the roof area and you will see the rear of the cassette assembly. The drain hose can be see running from the left and right rear corners toward the rear pillars. It's simple enough to disconnecnt them from the cassette and clear the blockage. My blockage was in the actual connection point of the cassette and I cleared it by rodding it with a small pen. I did the right side too even though it wasn't obviously leaking. reconnect the drain tubes and water test by pouring water into the sunroof eage whilst open. You will soon see if the drain is working.

Reassemble the car when complete taking care not to dirty the roof liner and making sure all the trim pieces are clicked into place properly on the rear pillars, connect the electrics again and screw it all together. I spent about an hour in total, bearing in mind I was operating 'blind'. If I had to do it again it would take about 30mins."
Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a .pdf version of the SB that Patrick E61 posted. For clarity's sake, the .pdf file includes the images contained in the last two links...

SI_B_54_06_06_panoramic_sunroof_water_leak.pdf
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='938307' date='Jul 10 2009, 01:56 PM
Here's a .pdf version of the SB that Patrick E61 posted. For clarity's sake, the .pdf file includes the images contained in the last two links...

Attachment 84000
Very good! And that is from 11/2008, so it is even more up-to-date.

I will bookmark that link... Just in case I also need it in the future.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Members

Thank you for such a great responce!
My car is from 2005 and is imported by me from Germany to Sweden.
Nice PDF-document, that is great!

I will try the suggested steps to see if it helps putting an end to the problem, feels like it should be easy to get it right.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Members

I opened the sunroof and poured some water on each side of the sunroof opening in the rear side.
And it came out behind each back wheel, below the car, does that mean the water is going the right way and will not be able to get in to the car, at least the back side of the sunroof?

I left the car outside later today to see if water is getting inside the car while it started to rain, but it looks like it is all dry as it should be now, at least for now, will see after a couple of hours again as soon as the rain stops.

So I am a bit lost right now...

I will continue to search a reason for how the water came in to the car.
Next will be to park the car downhill and uphill to see if that makes a difference.
(The car was facing slightly uphill before the water was discovered the first time)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hammar' post='939028' date='Jul 10 2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you for such a great responce!
My car is from 2005 and is imported by me from Germany to Sweden.
Nice PDF-document, that is great!

I will try the suggested steps to see if it helps putting an end to the problem, feels like it should be easy to get it right.
Isn't this forum great

Nice response from Patrick
Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

This site is great, because of this kind of treads.

But also to know that sunroofs suck
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='938247' date='Jul 10 2009, 04:42 AM
Here is a reply (from another forum) about the same issue - home made fix. E61 was a 2005 530d from Ireland.

"Don't panic! I have an E61 as well and suffered the same issue with water leak. Fortunately I was quick enough to recognise the issue and it didn't do any damage. Also, fortunately, it is a simple enough thing to resolve if you are DIY enabled. My leak came in the rear passenger side through various holes in the roof liner, mainly over the boot area.

Simply unscrew the rear pillar interior trim panels in the boot area, bearing in mind they will have an electrical connectyion for the light and the luggage cover release mechanism. These unclip simply enough. This will expose the edge of the roof liner at the pillar. Also pull off slightly, just enough, to expose the roof liner edge, the rubber tailgate seal. Gently prise the roof liner from its clips, taking care not to crease or dirty it. There are 3 main clips about 200m in from the edge of the liner fixed to the car roof structure. These will unclip easliy enough if you're careful. You only need about 200mm access space so it's not that hard to achieve. This will eventually expose the interior of the roof area and you will see the rear of the cassette assembly. The drain hose can be see running from the left and right rear corners toward the rear pillars. It's simple enough to disconnecnt them from the cassette and clear the blockage. My blockage was in the actual connection point of the cassette and I cleared it by rodding it with a small pen. I did the right side too even though it wasn't obviously leaking. reconnect the drain tubes and water test by pouring water into the sunroof eage whilst open. You will soon see if the drain is working.

Reassemble the car when complete taking care not to dirty the roof liner and making sure all the trim pieces are clicked into place properly on the rear pillars, connect the electrics again and screw it all together. I spent about an hour in total, bearing in mind I was operating 'blind'. If I had to do it again it would take about 30mins."

Many thanks to the poster of this information. I noticed water in the boot after heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and completed this bit of DIY to resolve. It's actually dead straight forward and took me 20 minutes per side. I am not a DIY type either so really it is easy.

When I got the drainage pipe disconnected from the rear of the sunroof cassette I ran some water through it and it was clearly blocked. Cleaned it up and blew down it to dislodge the blockage and now the water rushes straight through.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?