E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530 XI, 19 VMR VB3, matte grills, RPI scoop, MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by yeewiz
I can't answer for the sedan. other posters have mentioned that only the wagon has the SureClog valves. in any case, it's probably a good guess any drainage tube has to come down the C-pillar and drain behind the rear wheel. I would say reach up and see if you can find a tube end. also, other posters have noted that if the drainage tube entrance in the sun roof mechanism is blocked, then the overflow will go places where you don't want water to go. good luck!
Thanks for response, water leakage in places I dont want is happening to me!!! It looks like the water is getting into the right rear floor board. I squeezed water into the sunroof "holes" and water is coming out though the lower front by wheel and a little bit is coming out the lower rear by wheel. I cannot figure it out and determine the main location the water is coming in!!!!! my warranty will not cover this and its driving me crazy.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by casualvic
Thanks for response, water leakage in places I dont want is happening to me!!! It looks like the water is getting into the right rear floor board. I squeezed water into the sunroof "holes" and water is coming out though the lower front by wheel and a little bit is coming out the lower rear by wheel. I cannot figure it out and determine the main location the water is coming in!!!!! my warranty will not cover this and its driving me crazy.
casualvic, your problem is most probably a failed water insulation in your rear door - do a search on the forums, here is plenty of information.
A plastic insulation sheet between the door card and the side window retraction area has to be re-glued, otherwise water flowing down the side glass gets into the car interior before flowing out through the door drainage holes.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 XI, 19 VMR VB3, matte grills, RPI scoop, MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by mmitev
casualvic, your problem is most probably a failed water insulation in your rear door - do a search on the forums, here is plenty of information.
A plastic insulation sheet between the door card and the side window retraction area has to be re-glued, otherwise water flowing down the side glass gets into the car interior before flowing out through the door drainage holes.
very good advice... I will add that to the list of "possible problems" but that makes sense because if the drain holes were completely clogged the water would not come out the front or back.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

Even if the roof drain valves are only partially clogged (i.e. water is flowing through them on tests), water can still "overflow" at heavy rains and get into the interior. This was exactly the case with my touring.

However, in your case I think its the door card because I have read about multiple instances of this problem on front and rear doors on the German forum (e60-forum.de) - they all had the same symptoms as you. And its not difficult to open the door and see whether the insulation is still completely intact. Let us know when you find out what it is in the end.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
Even if the roof drain valves are only partially clogged (i.e. water is flowing through them on tests), water can still "overflow" at heavy rains and get into the interior. This was exactly the case with my touring.

However, in your case I think its the door card because I have read about multiple instances of this problem on front and rear doors on the German forum (e60-forum.de) - they all had the same symptoms as you. And its not difficult to open the door and see whether the insulation is still completely intact. Let us know when you find out what it is in the end.
mmitev- isn't your car almost brand new? Seems like you picked yours up about the same time as I picked up mine (December 2009). Did you get a clog and overflow? If you have already posted about it, I must have missed it.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ygbsm
mmitev- isn't your car almost brand new? Seems like you picked yours up about the same time as I picked up mine (December 2009). Did you get a clog and overflow? If you have already posted about it, I must have missed it.
no, mine is 2004. i got the "wet trunk" surprise last summer, thankfully just one component went belly-up.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Last saturday it rained really heavily. Yesterday, while driving all the lights of the cluster instrument went crazy and suddently turned on all the lights, and off for a while. After that, it threw a error mensage about electronic problem and to go immediately to a dealer. But today morning, aparently was all okay despite a bad smell of dirty water. It crossed my mind the thread that i read a long time ago in this forum about water in the trunk and went immediately to check it. The automatic tailgate didn't work and at that moment i started to be desperated with the idea of having a major failure in the electric system. In the side compartments in the trunk had some water and in the spare tire it had 1/2 inch of water. Luckily the electronic modules had just some humidity and after clean it all seems to be working fine now, even the tailgate automatic function.

I will check the draining tubes to prevent a next flood in the trunk. Thanks for the ilustrated pics and detailed steps.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Members

Wish I had seen this thread when I bought my car back in November...a month later I got an iDrive message that referenced something to the effect of a communication system failure. Sat radio and bluetooth stopped working. Took it to the dealer thinking my CPO warranty would cover it - no such luck. Drains were clogged and water had fried the Satellite module to the tune of almost $1100...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wow, bummer, I'm surprised CPO doesn't cover it?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Members

BMW considers the drains clogging to be a maintenance issue. Water leaks are specifically excluded as are most of the electronics. Bummer indeed!

Quick Reply: Where is the rain gutter located in the panorama roof?