E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Water Leak Battery Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

kerrys914, no, I haven't done anything since that post above. I really wasn't sure what "The drilled holes should only penetrate the seam sealer and not the steel floor pan" meant, and didn't want to put 2 holes where I wasn't suppose to. Thinking about it though, the openings have to be where I marked it in the photo. And, the SI was warning not to nick the metal or suffer rusting in the exposed metal. Thanks for resurrecting this.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by yeewiz
kerrys914, no, I haven't done anything since that post above. I really wasn't sure what "The drilled holes should only penetrate the seam sealer and not the steel floor pan" meant, and didn't want to put 2 holes where I wasn't suppose to. Thinking about it though, the openings have to be where I marked it in the photo. And, the SI was warning not to nick the metal or suffer rusting in the exposed metal. Thanks for resurrecting this.
Just got my car back from the local dealer - they "fixed" the flood and moved the electronics - funny how they didn't need to order the kit to place them in the left fender - but, they are balking at covering this under warranty.

I've got an '07 E60 - 530i - bought almost exactly 2 years ago under the CPO program.

I am, to put it mildly, steamed! If this isn't a defective design, I've never seen one... And, I'm a registered mechanical engineer, and sometime expert witness...

Since it's my car, I can testify to the defect for small claims court, which is all that my damages will amount to, but not if this gets bigger.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Members

I would like to see an e61 fix for relocating those bits. I have replace the pano seal, added a basement water sensor, removed the drain valve things on the rear tubes, put a trash bag over the uppermost foam piece (incase of a interior spill), and a rubber cargo mat on the cargo area floor.

I get so worried when it rains outside...Crazy I am!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

Originally Posted by kerrys914
I have ... added a basement water sensor ...
are you saying you've put in a water sensor in the bottom of your spare wheel well? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what you did. I've been thinking about that.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Members

Here is what I used..

http://www.harborfreight.com/water-o...arm-92334.html

I check the battery each month just to be sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Members

thanks, that's not bad. I was thinking DIY with electrical parts and wiring into car power. but that's a good starting point
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Members

I have had this issue too... I did all the reading up as I experienced the problem and have taken virtually the whole boot apart in the process of fault finding...

It is indeed down to those wonderful puckered tube ends that the ingress happened. I spend an inordinate amount of time at the beach, in mainly windy weather (kitesurfing) and the amount of sand which gets deposited on the car is mainly why these drains blocked for me (They were full of sand when I removed them and completely blocked). I had all the relays and CCC and PDC tested, only relays were faulty. The battery however was dead, hence why I had it recovered to the garage. They did not replace the 6 yr old battery, but charged and tested it as fine.

Now in taking the boot apart, the battery compartment was totally full of water, I simply pushed through one of the rubber gromets on the floor of that compartment and the water drained completely from behind the rear tyre. I at first thought that this is where the water from the wheel well came from, (travelling around roundabouts and the water draining into the well from this compartment) but when I removed all the trim from the left hand side of the vehicle, it was clear that it was this side that deposited the lions share of water to the wheel well, as there is no void, the boot base simply finishes at the same level all the way to the wing, meaning that there is nowhere for water to travel but horizontally and then down into the void where all the expensive electronic components are.

So I was lucky, 400 pounds to fix it, relays and labour oh and a battery charge. I think the sensor you have installed is a stroke of genius, as you never know when/if lightning will strike twice. I'm off to the chandlers tomorrow on my way to the beach

Having a few other niggling issues which I suspect are down to the battery, so reckon an AGM replacement is the next major purchase..
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Members

Yesterday while trying to sort my suspension problem I found the battery box full of water, there was none at all in the wheel well though. My car does not have a panoramic roof, any thoughts on this?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Hello Neil.D

Would you happen to know where front drains located? How to clean them? I have water in footrest drivers side, Europe car, so on left side. recently cleaned rear ones...

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xit

All these problems with the pano sunroof makes me think about going through the expense of having the whole thing removed. It is simply not worth having it IMHO when you consider all the problems it causes. Yes its nice and airy and really brings in the outside but the potential disaster is just crazy. Unfortunately all E61 cars sold in the US have them. It would probably run over 2K in parts alone to replace the roof but in the long run it might make sense, especially if you repair the damage caused by the flooding once and it happens again sometime down the road... Heck it might even bring back some lost rigidity. just my thoughts...