E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Water Leak Battery Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmitev
MPM module is around $150, and you will need re-programming after replacement of any of the modules, worth another $100-150 depending on the dealer.
Hopefully the HKL won't cost too much on top.

On the left side there is some empty space, but no electronics, and if there is some water, it will evaporate through the side vent. You can check it if you want, but its not vital.
Thanks! The car is at the dealer's now. I dried out the MPM module and it actually seems to work. However, it clearly had water in it and some resultant corrosion so I'm replacing it to be safe. The HKL is totally fried though.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

wow - it's such an design fault by BMW

I just checked my car (LCI) during the weekend. No moisture at all.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Neil, so then would you say by cutting off the things at the ends of the rear tubes, you'd rather take the risk of a little critter climbing into the tube and plugging it (and possibly ending up with water in the boot) than having dirt plug it and ending up with water? The latter seems like more likely to happen so probably a risk worth taking by cutting off the plugs at the end...
Would I take the risk of an insect climbing up the tube? Youre damn right! Dirt will clog those things up, I doubt incy wincy spider would last long up there after a decent downpour!

I believe that the problem was improved on the LCI cars.

Within the boot are pretty much all the modules for all aspects of the I drive.

As someone said it is an awful design fault.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim
wow - it's such an design fault by BMW

I just checked my car (LCI) during the weekend. No moisture at all.
Sim, AFAIK your LCI car is supposed to have a water drain valve at the bottom of the spare wheel well. Did you see it there, and if yes, can you make a pic of it?

I want to retrofit one on my pre-LCI car, but don't know if its possible, and naturally the dealer does not know either (why should they ).

Cheers
Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

mmitev:

I didn't check, while I installed the spare wheel in the weekend.

Let me check it some day
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 AM
Members

Hi all,

Just spoke with the dealer. Net result of this little episode is about $US2k. Dealer was a bit surprised I knew which modules needed replacement (but it's pretty obvious if you open them up). Anyway, needed new: HKL, MPM modules, 4 new relays, new battery (current one only holds 25% charge- not sure if this is an age issue or related to water) and an replacing sunroof seal with newer, upgraded version.

Carl
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

and you should know that just because you remove the SureClog valves from the drain lines does NOT mean your problems are solved. see my post here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/588...k/page__st__15

mmitev, I haven't found that drain valve in realoem.com but I'm with you on that one, I'll install it if I can find it
Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Is there some form of a drain in the bottom of the tire well? Mine had the same issues and both drains with more water in the drivers side. It all ended up in the same place to short out my suspension and other relays. Maybe the drains for the SR should be supersized and a drain placed at the bottom of the tire well.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Neil, so then would you say by cutting off the things at the ends of the rear tubes, you'd rather take the risk of a little critter climbing into the tube and plugging it (and possibly ending up with water in the boot) than having dirt plug it and ending up with water? The latter seems like more likely to happen so probably a risk worth taking by cutting off the plugs at the end...
Originally Posted by neil.d
Would I take the risk of an insect climbing up the tube? Youre damn right! Dirt will clog those things up, I doubt incy wincy spider would last long up there after a decent downpour!

I believe that the problem was improved on the LCI cars.
Can anyone confirm this? So I'm wondering if I should still attempt to pull off the caps at the end of the tubes by yanking on the tubes... I hate doing something I can't see for fear of breaking something! I've got a 2010.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Members

Take a look yourself. Take everything out of the spare wheel well and see if there is a drainhole - that's the rumour. Can't see any harm in taking the awful things off the end of the tubes anyway.

Quick Reply: Water Leak Battery Compartment