E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Water Leak Battery Compartment

Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 530 XTI is kept outside. After this past week of rain in Rhode Island, I went to start it and the instruments reacted like a pinball game. Every possible warning went off and then the car automatically cycled through all its warnings and functions. In searching for the cause, I found about 2" of water in the batter compartment. That may be due to a leaky seal or possibly the trunk mat got slightly jammed under the latch causing a bad seal. The real issue is that the electronics seem frazzled (hopefully not fried). If there some vital component under the battery or in that general area that would be susceptible to water intrusion?

Here's a pic of water in the tray above the battery. Camera didn't clearly show the water in the battery compartment which is under this tray.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak Battery Compartment-bimmer.jpg  
Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Members

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Take a look here,

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php/to..._1#entry513348

Take a look at the electronics at the bottom of the spare wheel well. It will be obvious of they are screwed.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Members

Thanks! I'm headed out but will take a look tomorrow. Its probably what happened as I am parked a bit up hill, have the sunroof and there is a tree near by that sheds.

Carl
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Neil, so then would you say by cutting off the things at the ends of the rear tubes, you'd rather take the risk of a little critter climbing into the tube and plugging it (and possibly ending up with water in the boot) than having dirt plug it and ending up with water? The latter seems like more likely to happen so probably a risk worth taking by cutting off the plugs at the end...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Members

So...I opened her up and voila...swimming pool. It appears that the MPM and HKL E61 modules are fried. Anyone know what those cost so I have some idea what to expect form my friendly BMW dealer tomorrow?

Thanks.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak Battery Compartment-hkl.jpg   Water Leak Battery Compartment-mpm.jpg   Water Leak Battery Compartment-tire-well.jpg   Water Leak Battery Compartment-tire-well2.jpg  
Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neil.d
Hi

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Take a look here,

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php/to..._1#entry513348

Take a look at the electronics at the bottom of the spare wheel well. It will be obvious of they are screwed.
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the heads up on this! As you can see, this was exactly my problem. Not sure what the repair bill will be but, at least, I know what's going on before the dealer attacks it.

Carl
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Members

One further question. Is there a void under the left side that needs to be checked for water? It seems much more complicated to get in there so I didn't do so. I did dry out the battery and wheel well areas.

Carl
Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by upnatum
One further question. Is there a void under the left side that needs to be checked for water? It seems much more complicated to get in there so I didn't do so. I did dry out the battery and wheel well areas.

Carl
MPM module is around $150, and you will need re-programming after replacement of any of the modules, worth another $100-150 depending on the dealer.
Hopefully the HKL won't cost too much on top.

On the left side there is some empty space, but no electronics, and if there is some water, it will evaporate through the side vent. You can check it if you want, but its not vital.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

Hi, what are the electronics in the spare wheel well? I don't have this tray, my wheel well is empty. Car is a 2005 E61.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fletchedpair
Hi, what are the electronics in the spare wheel well? I don't have this tray, my wheel well is empty. Car is a 2005 E61.
look under the carpet and you will find them.

unless the previous owner has relocated the whole tray in one of the side compartments of the trunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Leak Battery Compartment