E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I get to replace my compressor!

Not good. :thumbsdown:

Lets see how long I can make the original one last...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Members

Im unsure of the exact inner diameter.

If you are thinking of replacing it with a "normal" piece of straight tube, I would reconsider. There is a reason why the original is mould shaped, with specific bend radius and lenghts. This has an obvious impact the flow through the tube but also on the stress at the connection points during vibrations. Wheater this will have any impact on the wear load on the compressor or other components is ??? But one thing is for sure. Bending a straight tube to fit will add wall stress on the tube. You wont be having this issue on a mould shaped one.

Just my input....
Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
I get to replace my compressor!

Not good. :thumbsdown:

Lets see how long I can make the original one last...
Please explain. You get to replace it, is it done/worn down? But you didnt replace it yet?

What was the condition of the hose?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Please explain. You get to replace it, is it done/worn down? But you didnt replace it yet?

What was the condition of the hose?
They don't have the compressors sitting around in the parts department. Once they get one from Germany, I will make an appointment to get it replaced.

Yes, the hose was faulty, and so the compressor sucked in all sorts of junk.

This will be a costly fix! :thumbsdown:
Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
They don't have the compressors sitting around in the parts department. Once they get one from Germany, I will make an appointment to get it replaced.

Yes, the hose was faulty, and so the compressor sucked in all sorts of junk.

This will be a costly fix! :thumbsdown:
I feel your pain. Nothing is more annoying then paying for others mistakes (a clear design error)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rasmus
I feel your pain. Nothing is more annoying then paying for others mistakes (a clear design error)

Rasmus, Is your problem solved, no more error messages on your I-drive about the suspension?

Hope to hear from you soon because I have similar problems.

Greetings

Jan
Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Janzet
Rasmus, Is your problem solved, no more error messages on your I-drive about the suspension?

Hope to hear from you soon because I have similar problems.

Greetings

Jan
Hi Jan,

I never really a had a problem (regarding error messages). I did the check up based on info from this forum. I ever got a i-drive error message. So i have likely saved myself for a compressor replacement (knock on wood), because the hoses were not in good condition.

Get the hose changed ASAP and hope for the best. Im unsure if you can actually clear up the compressor for debris just waiting to do more damage.

Regards,
Rasmus
Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 520d LCI. HUD, active lights + high beam assistant, panoramic sunroof, manual gbox, grey leather and navi professional. It's a nice car with an impressive engine.

Originally Posted by trevorken
I just spoke to the maintenance guy in my garage (not an official BMW dealer, but it's the only brand they deal).
I asked him about this issue, and he told me that it was already solved when my car was produced.

If they had to fix it on other cars, they just used a piece of fuel line, so not the 105 euro pipe.
Hi.
What year is your car - LCI or not?
As far as can understand this is not a problem on LCI cars?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

Hi,

So hit the dreaded compressor failure, car on it's bump stops (or lower) failure message in the iDrive on a few occasions now but no real problems until a long trip with a full (heavy) load a couple of weeks ago.

Opened up the rear panel and as others have found a ton of dirt and a cracked input hose.

I wanted to ask a question on what the expected pressure from the output side should feel like? The compressor runs but on removing the output hose the pressure seems almost non existent, is this normal? I suspect not...

I've found a seller in Germany that has the compressors at around 350 GBP as opposed to the 723 GBP I was quoted today by the local stealer.. If I push the button will let yu know how it goes.

rgds

C
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CarloTT
I've found a seller in Germany that has the compressors at around 350 GBP as opposed to the 723 GBP I was quoted today by the local stealer.. If I push the button will let yu know how it goes.

rgds

C
Please post a link or some more information about the seller in Germany!

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension failures