E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Taken the plunge!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must confess I found the auto tailgate to be too slow on the demo car my dealer lent me to test drive I was happy enough just to go along with the standard close it yourself option withsoft close.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i

In my forthcoming Touring, I have ordered the auto tailgate despite numerous reports of it being too slow. We'll see how it works in practice, but I tried to imagine when it being slow is a REAL problem...

I guess that, in between moving to the front of the car, opening the door, sitting down, starting the car (add potentially one or more of: putting glasses on, selecting CD, pluging phone in cradle, fitting seat belt), there's no problem having to wait to drive away after hitting the close button.

This leaves scenarios where you come to/leave the car and need to put stuff in/out of the boot. Coming in I suppose activating it before you actually reach the car helps. Leaving then who cares, it will close itself and you don't need to be around to close the car afterwards.

Issues with the cover not going down by itself can be fixed by opening only the upper part of the tailgate. That's what the BMW lady was doing to the 5 Touring during the Geneva show :-)

Is the rain concern for the car interior (in which case I can assure you a BMW CONVERTIBLE left open during a rainy night comes out just fine, leather seats and all) or for you waiting for the tailgate to open (in which case anticipation is key I figure)?

Fred
Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Members

Congrats on your 530d!

I've ordered a 530xi and i'm picking it up on June 2th. I can't wait to try out the new R6 engine in combination with the 6-speed... :-)

Silvergray/black leather
Old 04-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, mbforme ! please post some pics when you pick her up . btw, why "mbforme"? isn't it suppose to be "bmwforme" ?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Members

well, we are a multi-cultural family :-)
Old 04-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

of course we are .
Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Members

Could anyone with an auto tailgate possibly give me an idea of the time it takes to open/close? i.e. is it 10 seconds, or more like 60!
I must confess had hadn't thought about the rain issue before ...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Contributors

I was in my dealership yesterday and they had a E61 with the auto-tailgate on display, so of course I just had to have a play

I certainly didn't think it was slow opening or closing. I confess to not actually timing the thing! but it was only a matter of a few (no more than 5) seconds for the tailgate to open. Closing was just as quick, if not quicker. When you press the button to close, the tailgate closes down to just past half way when it then shuts completely as if an invisible hand had just given it a push!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mathmos' date='Apr 28 2005, 11:32 AM
I was in my dealership yesterday and they had a E61 with the auto-tailgate on display, so of course I just had to have a play?

I certainly didn't think it was slow opening or closing. I confess to not actually timing the thing! but it was only a matter of a few (no more than 5) seconds for the tailgate to open. Closing was just as quick, if not quicker. When you press the button to close, the tailgate closes down to just past half way when it then shuts completely as if an invisible hand had just given it a push!?
[snapback]121242[/snapback]
Cheers, mathmos. Sounds fast enough to me (quicker than the roof on my Boxster, anyway)
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Members

The Xenons make a huge differance. I would certainly add them.
I played with the auto tailgate at the New York car show. It was far from slow. My wife has an auto tailgate on her Chrysler van, and it closes slower than the E61. I love the button on the tailgate. On this board I saw photos of "Ablagenpaket" Option 493. This is a fastening system for the cargo area. I love this option. It seems so usefull. I hope they will let me order it in the US. From the my online German to English translator, "Lichtpaket # 563" seems interesting. I would really like to see exactly what you get, but it not an expensive option.