E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skirrto
Thanks for all the superb advice on this problem. I have fixed the heated rear screen today and the experience of other was invaluable. Here's what I found when I opened things up.

The brown cable was burned through and had also burned the rear wash tube. There was water in the cavity above the headliner. The wire was easy, cut and solder in a new section. I say easy, but I had to cut about 30mm of cable out - copper oxide doesn't solder too well. I left the coax cable alone as I didn't want to cut into an unknown and find I couldn't repair it. If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in what you found.

The water tube took a little more thought. I finished up using connectors and pipe from a garden irregation kit - Hozelok I think - to replace the burned section, finishing them off with self-amalgamating tape.

The reassembly was fiddly, but OK. Make sure that you have pulled enough cable through before bolting everything back down.

Someone had questioned the strength of the spring in the glass hinge - it can be held with one finger.

Question is now how long will it be before I have to do more.

There are some photos posted here

Thanks again for all the info.
Hello, I was wondering if the wire repairs you did to fix the rear defroster were on the right or left hand side of the car? I have a 2005 525 and the defroster has quit working. Pretty sure it is the wiring loom that needs repair. I have take the right hand side apart and not found any breaks, and just want to make sure that it is the left that I need to take apart now. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 Touring

Hi!

I have a 2007 E61 LCI with 110 000 k's on it. I'm having trouble with my tailgate glass heater, it does not work! Heating of side mirrors do. And I've checked the fuses. Of cource, I suspect this is the first issue popping up regarding these faulty wiring.

I've read through this entire thread, I've found plenty of helpful tips, images and guides. However, I don't know exactly how to re-connect the wires after cutting them off. Is it recommendet to extend them or is there enough wire to just re-connect them? Is it just to twist the ends of the copper wiring and put some electrical tape around?

Any tips, images or links regarding this would be appreciated.

Regards, Fredrik
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
New Members

Default Drivers Side Reversing light

Hello all, would I be right in thinking that the wiring for the drivers side reversing light comes through the same side boot hinge wiring loom? I have checked with an electrical tester, and there is no current to drivers side light, but fine to passenger side.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 523 Touring 2006, 328 Coupé 1999

Originally Posted by Clthomp
Hello all, would I be right in thinking that the wiring for the drivers side reversing light comes through the same side boot hinge wiring loom? <snip>
Yes.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530Xi touring Silver Grey Met / Black Dakota Leather

Hey All, if it makes you feel better about this tailgate wiring problem, MERCEDES W124 300TE wagons do exactly the same thing,, been here and done this before on my 1993 Mercedes but it was 20 years old with 250000 miles before I had to. But the BMW E61 is worth it!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

Originally Posted by FredrikSweden
Hi!

I have a 2007 E61 LCI with 110 000 k's on it. I'm having trouble with my tailgate glass heater, it does not work! Heating of side mirrors do. And I've checked the fuses. Of cource, I suspect this is the first issue popping up regarding these faulty wiring.

I've read through this entire thread, I've found plenty of helpful tips, images and guides. However, I don't know exactly how to re-connect the wires after cutting them off. Is it recommendet to extend them or is there enough wire to just re-connect them? Is it just to twist the ends of the copper wiring and put some electrical tape around?

Any tips, images or links regarding this would be appreciated.

Regards, Fredrik
You should really solder the joint
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

I have the problem of number plate lights and O/S(right) rear side light going off only when the tailgate is open.
Just to save me a bit of time are all the wires for these lights in the left hinge?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
New Members

Reverse lights and number plate light are in right side ( drivers side). Rear defroster wire is in left side along with left hand side wires for left hand side lights. Just replaced rhs in our 525. All cables in loom were broken.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM
New Members

Default driver on right or left

The previous post raises an interesting angle that I don't think had been discussed in this thread. Does anyone know if the wiring to the various tailgate components is the same for cars with right-hand versus left-drive?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
New Members

does anyone know what is controlled/connected to the left hand ribbon plug (pink/purple one)on the diversity module? Mine appears to be broken but got plenty of probs one being water damage to the diversity unit
If i replace the diversity unit what won't work because of the broken wires. The black one is for the remote ariel as far as i understand what does the pink do?
thanks James

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??