E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sunroof wind noise - fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Thanks Mate!
You right people enjoy this DIY and result speaks for itself.

Originally Posted by stulios
Hi, in terms of resetting the sunroof, you simply hold the button in the tilt position and the sunroof will run through the cycle. keep the button pressed until it stops.

Glad so many have done this fix since I listed the original post!!

Stu
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Did you check the source... realoem.com ?
Yes I did, I explained that in my original post.
This middle piece is not identifiable in RealOEM, neither for the E61 nor for the E70 (where I also checked).
The material is the same as the surround seal, but the middle piece on the roof is much longer (ca 2.5x) than the remainder of the surrounding seal.
Hence I am looking for someone to come up with a part number for it..
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

sorry mate, local dealer can't help either!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM
New Members

Hello to All,

This is my 1st post in this great forum... thanks for all great info and keep it going.
So, i read a lot of topics in diferent forum's for this problem.. wind noise and water leak in panoramic roof..
I have a E61 2005, i'm from Portugal and now winter season is starting and i'm concerned because water is leaking through the seals of sunroof. a few amount of water (like a botle) is enough to leak to the interior roof mechanism.

Are you still having this problem even with the new seals? or a new seals is just for the wind noise fix?

In the attached images you will see the amount of water that leaks. is it supose do be like that?
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof wind noise - fixed-img_0074.jpg   Sunroof wind noise - fixed-img_0075.jpg   Sunroof wind noise - fixed-img_0076.jpg   Sunroof wind noise - fixed-img_0077.jpg  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

It sounds more like clogged drains. have you checked the electrical compartment in the boot space with all the units in?

Another issue with earlier e61's like ours is the end of the drain tube has a grommet in which can easily clog. The tube then fills with water and overflows. This can cause 1000s in damage so definitely worth checking.

Removing the grommet is easy. There's loads of how2s on the web. Do a quick search to find the location and then simply pull the tube up with a bit of force. You'll here/see the grommet drop off and the water should come out. I've removed both rear grommets about 6/8 months ago and have had no negative effects.

Stu
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by stulios
It sounds more like clogged drains. have you checked the electrical compartment in the boot space with all the units in?

Another issue with earlier e61's like ours is the end of the drain tube has a grommet in which can easily clog. The tube then fills with water and overflows. This can cause 1000s in damage so definitely worth checking.

Removing the grommet is easy. There's loads of how2s on the web. Do a quick search to find the location and then simply pull the tube up with a bit of force. You'll here/see the grommet drop off and the water should come out. I've removed both rear grommets about 6/8 months ago and have had no negative effects.

Stu

Hey Stu, tanks for reply

Yes checked the electrical compartment - clean, no traces of water (add dracalon in case...)

, checked The battery compartment and the left side compartment - clean, no water
and also removed the tubes ends, All the drain tubes are clean no clog's

The problem is the seal sunroof, i made a movie to explain the problem

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
msc
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Premium, Cold, Nav, Comfort Seats

Looking forward to doing this DIY myself. I had it in at the dealer for something else, and asked about the sunroof seal, because I am getting a lot of noise in the front, and a serious squeaking in the back.

The estimate was $385 dollars. I asked how that could be with a $30 part. He said, well, it is quite a bit of labor, and the part is closer to $100. And followed up with, "Well, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference anyway."

Of course, I had already read all the threads here, at bimmerfest, and at bimmerforums about how easy it is to do yourself in an hour for $30 bucks, and what a huge difference it makes.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Your dealership is ripping you off. I paid 200 bucks for mine at the dealership for mine.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: '06 530xiT

Great post! I just bought a '06 E61 and it has serious wind noise at speed. I'll be looking into doing this before it gets too cold!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nosamk
Great post! I just bought a '06 E61 and it has serious wind noise at speed. I'll be looking into doing this before it gets too cold!
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind noise - fixed