E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Soon to be E61 Owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by NotYourMomsWagon
I have been using the VIN decoder and was wondering which option number is for the sport seats. I have seen 456 Comfort Seats, Electric. Adjustable and 459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory
i have an 07 530xiT with the sport package and comfort seats. my build sheet says:

456 - Comfort Seats, Electric, Adjustable

they are amazing
Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi with spot package, comfort access, HUD, Nav

Originally Posted by BostonJon
i have an 07 530xiT with the sport package and comfort seats. my build sheet says:

456 - Comfort Seats, Electric, Adjustable

they are amazing
Thanks, now I know what to look for on the VIN decoder.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

The wagons (LCI at least) never came with sport seats. Regular or Comfort, or possibly ventilated.

Here's the 2010 brochure and options sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
The wagons (LCI at least) never came with sport seats. Regular or Comfort, or possibly ventilated.

Here's the 2010 brochure and options sheet.
Got it. I think they were referred to as sport seats earlier because they came with the spots package. So I am looking for option 456 then.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM
New Members

So, I am pretty sure that I found a wagon I like, link below, and am planning to buy it on Monday. I saw and test drove the car today and everything seemed to be in order. It does have some scrapes and dings but nothing I am too worried about. I like that it has both the comfort access, winter package, and parking sensors.

Any opinions on the car or things I should double check on it before I buy would be great.

Used 2008 BMW 535xi For Sale in Englewood CO | Stock: T8CX01594 | serving Denver
Old 03-19-2016, 02:55 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Has it ever had the turbos replaced? How about the oil filter gasket? Injectors? Intake blast? Do you have service records? At that mileage, you're past the 80k turbo warranty, so if anything other than the HPFP goes, it'd be on your own dime. Have you had a PPI? You can learn a lot just by getting under it and taking the plastic skid plates off... they hide a lot of little leaks.

No comfort seats... Not sure where that ranks on your priorities, but it was a huge deal breaker for me.

Nice that is has logic7 sound and heated rear seats if you carry passengers.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket
Has it ever had the turbos replaced? How about the oil filter gasket? Injectors? Intake blast? Do you have service records? At that mileage, you're past the 80k turbo warranty, so if anything other than the HPFP goes, it'd be on your own dime. Have you had a PPI? You can learn a lot just by getting under it and taking the plastic skid plates off... they hide a lot of little leaks.

No comfort seats... Not sure where that ranks on your priorities, but it was a huge deal breaker for me.

Nice that is has logic7 sound and heated rear seats if you carry passengers.
They do not have the service records for the car but said neither the turbos nor the HPFP were replaced. Since neither of those have been replaced I am assuming nothing else has been replaced either. I will try to get under the skid plates to check for leaks.

However I am planning on getting an extended warranty that covers everything including the turbo and gaskets for 3 years or 30k miles. How long do the turbos usually last?

Comfort seats aren't make or break for me. The only thing it must have is the winter package and I would prefer that it has the comfort access and parking sensors. The one thing that is really attractive is the price since it gives me a little wiggle room just in case anything goes wrong immediately.

On another note, I have 20" snow tires and 16" snow tires and was wondering if either would be usable on the wagon. I know they have to be the same diameter so the awd system doesn't get messed up.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

Wow 12K, that's a great price! Buy it before someone else does.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010

They do not have the service records for the car but said neither the turbos nor the HPFP were replaced. Since neither of those have been replaced I am assuming nothing else has been replaced either. I will try to get under the skid plates to check for leaks.

However I am planning on getting an extended warranty that covers everything including the turbo and gaskets for 3 years or 30k miles. How long do the turbos usually last?

Comfort seats aren't make or break for me. The only thing it must have is the winter package and I would prefer that it has the comfort access and parking sensors. The one thing that is really attractive is the price since it gives me a little wiggle room just in case anything goes wrong immediately.

On another note, I have 20" snow tires and 16" snow tires and was wondering if either would be usable on the wagon. I know they have to be the same diameter so the awd system doesn't get messed up.

Thanks for the tips.
If they don't have service records, call your local BMW dealer's service dept. If you get a decent service advisor, they may be willing to provide you with any service information they have in their database. I called the dealer that originally certified mine when I bought it (even though they weren't the seller), and they walked me through everything I wanted to know.

Based on forum posts, I have seen the turbo life to be highly variable. Mine lasted about 70k miles before the dealer replaced mine due to waste gate rattle. The turbos were still functional, but I got a few underboost codes without noticeable issues with power, and the dealer replaced them under warranty. At about the same time, I also had the oil filter gasket and intake blast done. However, my first week of ownership at less than 60k miles included injectors and spark plugs.

As for the snow tires, I assume you have 4 of each size since you mentioned matching diameters. I don't think 16" wheels will fit over the brakes. And 20's would need to be very low profile.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

So, I am pretty sure that I found a wagon I like, link below, and am planning to buy it on Monday. I saw and test drove the car today and everything seemed to be in order. It does have some scrapes and dings but nothing I am too worried about. I like that it has both the comfort access, winter package, and parking sensors.

Any opinions on the car or things I should double check on it before I buy would be great.

Used 2008 BMW 535xi For Sale in Englewood CO | Stock: T8CX01594 | serving Denver

also looks like the rear cargo cover is missing. those can be pretty pricey....IF you can find one.

Quick Reply: Soon to be E61 Owner looking for advice