E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

rotary switch with no bounds / iDrive Controller like

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for a rotary switch, something like iDrive controller. One that I could rotate around its axis so many times I want, like iDrive does, without any bound like the normal rotary switches have.
I've been googled as a crazy wolf over the web, forums, electronic shops, companies etc. I have found nothing.
Have I been looking with wrong keywords( rotary manipulator, rotary joystick, rotary switch), or maybe there is no such a switch I am looking for.

Do you know anything I was not able to find? please let me know....

and what do I need it for? Well, I'm about to build a CarPC into my E61, and I need to handle the UI Interface somehow, since I cannot use the iDrive Controller itself, because I do not know any way to do this, I need something that works on similar basis.
BTW: if there is a way to user iDrive Controller, give me a hint, that would simplify the matter

regards
simon

PS. I was also wondering about making my own 'switch' using a simple computer mouse. There is this wheel, that rotates without any boundaries....isn't there It hat some push buttons as well, and is USB-able too.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Members

Hello,

small update. So it seems, I was searching with a slightly different keywords. What I wanted was:
rotary encoder
rotary shaft encoder
optical encoder
incremental encoder

and I found some usefull addresses, and this is the nicest I found, bacause the smallest:
http://www.usdigital.com/products/encoders...remental/rotary

They all work based on optical elements, just as computer mouse does.
However, at the end I decided not to build my own controller, but to buy one, this one:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/
It is already on its way to me, so I hope I can update this post soon

I hope to be using it in my car pc, as soon ad this issue:
Car2VGA adapter from G-Net - 12V issue, HELP!
is solved.

regards
simon
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Why not buy a track-ball instead?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackball
Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='704856' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:02 PM
Why not buy a track-ball instead?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackball
hi,

i did think about the trackball. But one has to be to much concentrated on the trackball and its movement/accuracy while driving.
Meanwhile I bought the 3dconnextion space navigator.
I integrated it into my software. It is not 100% what I expected, because it does not rotate and therefore does not have the discrete rotate steps, as idrive does. Still I am testing it, ant it is not bad. When the tests are done, I will post the whole experiences with screenshots.
I was hoping, I will be able to test it with the software on the BMW screen, however the G-NET Adapter did not work and I had to ship it back
I am currently waiting for another one, from another manufacturer, hope this one will work.

best regards
simon