E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Car2VGA adapter from G-Net - 12V issue, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

I bought this Car2VGA adapter from G-Net
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...gnetbmw356.asp

I tried to install it so eagerly into my E61 yesterday, and it did not work

I did exactely as this manual says:
http://www.gnetcanada.com/downloads/...NET_BMW356.pdf
as follows:

1. I turned the ignition off, removed the key and waited more than 5 minutes.
2. Removed the LCD BMW Screen, using TORX10.
3. Unplugged the 2 cables from the back of the monitor.
4. Connected the LVDS BMW Cable to the LCD IN of the adapter.
5. Connected the provided LVDS Connector cable to the adapter LDC OUT just as the white spot show on the delivered paper.
6. Connected the other end of the provided LVDS Connector cable to the BMW monitor. Connected the other BMW Monitor Cable back to the monitor.
7. I provided 12V from the cigar plug to the adapter, as suggested in the paper I got with the adapter
8. Put the key into the ignition again in order to provide 12V.
9. Tried to call the Setup menu of the adapter using the remote -> failed! Tried to connect the VGA signal from the laptop -> failed!
I noticed at once that the power LED of the adapter did not indicate, that the adapter was working.
So I sadly assembled everything together and went home

That was yesterday.
Today in the morning I took the adapter and supplied it with the power from the switching power supply at home, which takes 230V AC and converts it into 12V DC. However, it provides not 12V exactely, but about 13,5V. And than the power LED shined. I guess, the adapted does not get enough power from the cigar plugs.
Is this a know issue, does anyone have experience with this, any hints?
Should look for power supply somewhere else as taking it from cigar plugs?

I have already asked G-Net (Shawn Gusz) for help, but no reply yet.

thanks+regards
simon
Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you can't power this from the lighter socket then you are pretty stuffed. The lighter socket is the best source of raw power in the car. I wonder if the fact that the lighter comes on only when the engine is running has anything to do with this.

GNET have just branded a unbranded interface which many resellers supply and I've never heard anyone complain that they can't even get this to power up. So if may look like your interface is faulty.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Members

thanks,

well, the lighter socket seems to be OK, because I connected the car pc yesterday as well, without the monitor, but the CPU did work.
Nevertheless, I will try to get the adapter running in my friend's car tomorrow. If it will not work, interface is faulty, otherwise, I have to get my car checked.
I hope there won't be any problems sending the adapter in, if that should be the case.
well, we will see...

regards
simon
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

hey i like this product and i think it's a cheaper alternative than getting a new ACM and much simpler to install. can you post a DIY once you get everything working?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='704898' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:46 PM
hey i like this product and i think it's a cheaper alternative than getting a new ACM and much simpler to install. can you post a DIY once you get everything working?
hi,

i tried the adapter in other cars and it did not work as well too bad, I shipped the adapter back to canada
I got my money back without any problems or delays.
I have no idea why it di dot work. Afterwards I tested the CarPC and the software on the trip ca. 2000km and no problems with power supply, or such. (I used an external touchscreen)
I bought another one on cartft.com, and still waiting for the shipment, middle Dec so they said, we'll see...

BTW: is GNET product the only one with VGA?
And if not, do U know other adapters, where VGA-toRCA works good?
Whay I found is:
Car Video Interface for BMW New 5. Print version.
http://www.nav-video-interface.com/bmw_vid...difications.php
http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?PageActi...D&ProdID=30

but I did not find any success stories here or somewhere else about them. Anyone installed it with VGA-to-RCA?

best regards
simon