E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

rear cargo cover???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 530 xd Touring, M-Sport, Carbonblack, Nappa Tobacco, Sport, m package, Comfort Access, Professional Navigation, etc.

Originally Posted by FIN530D' post='1050632' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:36 PM
I?m really confused now, have people mixed up closing tailgate and tailgate cover ??

I have Euro E61 535D - 05 with automatic tailgate operation. I has bothered me from the beginning that cover is not closing automatically.
Now you guys are telling me that it should work....

Can someone please confirm this that the cover (Not tailgate) really CLOSES automatically and check the mechanism how it works because I did look at it and don?t figure out how could it work impossible

Or there might be some differences in newer production versions
Video would be nice also
I have a 530 xd Touring 2008 and yes, both tailgate and the cover open AND CLOSE automatically.

PG
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Members

I was very intrigued by this post, so went out to check out my car. And guess what, the cargo cover moves with the tailgate. This definitely was not checked on the option packages. It is hard to describe, so I took a video:

Cheers,
Gundo
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gundo' post='1050741' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:37 PM
I was very intrigued by this post, so went out to check out my car. And guess what, the cargo cover moves with the tailgate. This definitely was not checked on the option packages. It is hard to describe, so I took a video:

My 2009 E61 Tailgate Video

Cheers,
Gundo
Whow Thanks Gundo. Your video really proves it works

So sorry for doubts but this must have been changed since LCI because mine does not work and have seen/heard many others don?t also.
Is there some wire attached to it or what is pulling it back.

Thanks for clearing this out!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Gundo' post='1050741' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:37 PM

My 2009 E61 Tailgate Video

Cheers,
Gundo
Hi Gundo,

Very nice wagon you have there. Great colour. Would you share some photos. It's so seldom to see a nice E61 over the pond.

Cheers
Marco
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Members

Well thank you for the compliments - loving this car so far. There is a night and day difference compared to the A6 Avant we were driving. It's got more power, better handling, and far more comfort.

This car is pretty rare here in the States. Americans seem to love giant, fuel guzzling SUVs (yes, we've got one of those too) and overlook the very competent wagons that are being manufactured. When we venture outside of this part of Connecticut, it becomes even more rare.

Here's a couple of photos taken on delivery day:

Originally Posted by ///Marco.it' post='1050867' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Gundo,

Very nice wagon you have there. Great colour. Would you share some photos. It's so seldom to see a nice E61 over the pond.

Cheers
Marco
Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Gundo' post='1050924' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:12 PM
Well thank you for the compliments - loving this car so far. There is a night and day difference compared to the A6 Avant we were driving. It's got more power, better handling, and far more comfort.

This car is pretty rare here in the States. Americans seem to love giant, fuel guzzling SUVs (yes, we've got one of those too) and overlook the very competent wagons that are being manufactured. When we venture outside of this part of Connecticut, it becomes even more rare.

Here's a couple of photos taken on delivery day:

Really nice looking wagon.
Do you have any interior photo?
I am glad to here that you are happy with it and that you think is better than the A6. Here in western Europe there are more and more Touring, actually it's easier to see a touring than a sedan, specially in Italy and Germany.
Follow the forum and you will find many interesting things about BMW and its cars.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I just got my 530xiT today...
It has the Premium package on it so it has both the power lift gate and the power up and down Cargo cover.

It has two sets of tabs...

1st mode the cargo cover is released and slides up and out of the way but you manually have to lower it back in to place

2nd mode for the cargo cover is the fully automatic mode, so open the lift gate and it goes up, push the close button and it closes....

3 mode..... not in use...

I have not tried both modes with just the glass open... Starting to get the first waves of the Hurricane/tropic storm...
I'll mess with it tomorrow in the parking garage at work...
Old 02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ntpcrew13
i was wondering if someone could help me out. we recently purchased an e61 and we are having a small issue with the rear cargo cover now, but the dealership cannot fix the issue due to the fact they have never seen it before. we bought the car about a month ago and the rear cargo cover would automatically open and close once you press the liftgate to open or close. the small problem we have now is that the rear cargo cover will only automatically open when we press to open the liftgate and the rear cargo cover will not automatically close when we press the liftgate button to close the trunk. i brought it in for warranty services, but the dealership said its not suppose to close automatically. i told them i wouldnt be complaining about the issue if i didnt see it done before. so my question is can someone confirm that it automatically opens and closes after you press the liftgate button? so there is no confusion, i am talking about the cargo tarp inside the trunk that covers the rear. my dealership has never seen an e61; so they said they cannot fix it unless they actually see or know about the feature i am talking about. we purchased this vehicle from a maryland bmw dealership; since chicagoland dealerships didnt have what we were looking for. so if anyone can help, thanks in advance.
Have you fixed your problem now ? If not, let me know and I will tell tyou how. I had that problem and is now fixed.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Yeah after the electronic rebuild , I too had issues and the dealer did not even know about the feature.

They had to tear apart 2 other E61's that happened to be in for service (I'm sure their owners will be happy to find out!).
There are some magnets that have to be lined up correctly for the whole cover thing to work. When they rebuilt the interior of my car they had the magnets facing the incorrect way and the car was not "seeing" that the cover was ready to lower. Nice.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi e61 Sport Wagon

Hi All -
Thanks for posting this thread and for so many other e61 owners weighing in.

I have a 2006 530xi sport wagon. I have never seen my rear cargo cover return to the closed position but sure would like if it could.

I purchased the vehicle used, and although I do have the window sticker I'm not sure if the option is included.

My window sticker shows the vehicle having Premium Package - which includes "Automatic Tailgate" as one of four included items (along with the leather interior, rear dimming mirror and auto garage door opener).

Is this the option that should include the auto-return cargo cover? The tailgate is functioning well -- but the inner shade (cover) has to be pulled back manually...

I've never inspected it closely - this thread has me wondering.

Thanks-
John

Quick Reply: rear cargo cover???