5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   rear cargo cover??? (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/rear-cargo-cover-62906/)

ntpcrew13 10-05-2008 07:07 AM

i was wondering if someone could help me out. we recently purchased an e61 and we are having a small issue with the rear cargo cover now, but the dealership cannot fix the issue due to the fact they have never seen it before. we bought the car about a month ago and the rear cargo cover would automatically open and close once you press the liftgate to open or close. the small problem we have now is that the rear cargo cover will only automatically open when we press to open the liftgate and the rear cargo cover will not automatically close when we press the liftgate button to close the trunk. i brought it in for warranty services, but the dealership said its not suppose to close automatically. i told them i wouldnt be complaining about the issue if i didnt see it done before. so my question is can someone confirm that it automatically opens and closes after you press the liftgate button? so there is no confusion, i am talking about the cargo tarp inside the trunk that covers the rear. my dealership has never seen an e61; so they said they cannot fix it unless they actually see or know about the feature i am talking about. we purchased this vehicle from a maryland bmw dealership; since chicagoland dealerships didnt have what we were looking for. so if anyone can help, thanks in advance.

rugger 10-05-2008 10:54 AM

Im not aware that it is able to close automatically...I have only seen the auto open function....when poping the hatch, split window, and hatch release switch by the drivers side left leg. I think you may be mistaken.

hondik 10-05-2008 11:09 AM

R u sure it is supposed to close automatically? Did it really work? As far as I can tell I am 100% convinced it isn't supposed to do this.

ntpcrew13 10-05-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hondik' post='685782' date='Oct 5 2008, 02:09 PM
R u sure it is supposed to close automatically? Did it really work? As far as I can tell I am 100% convinced it isn't supposed to do this.

yes ive seen it work numerous times. it just stopped working for some reason last week.

narvselius 10-05-2008 11:01 PM

.. one of the most anoying thing about the cargo cover is that it automatically opens...but then you have to manually close it before you close the lid. More than once I've found myself in the drivers seat ready to Go... just to realise that black thing in the rear mirror needs closing. :bash:

I have never heard about an auto closing function on the cargo cover - maybe this is a US thing?

LW78 10-06-2008 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='686199' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:01 AM
.. one of the most anoying thing about the cargo cover is that it automatically opens...but then you have to manually close it before you close the lid. More than once I've found myself in the drivers seat ready to Go... just to realise that black thing in the rear mirror needs closing. :bash:

I have never heard about an auto closing function on the cargo cover - maybe this is a US thing?

We've had the company E61 for two years now, and there's definitely no auto closing for the cargo cover!

Just look at the mechanism (at least for Eu versions)

smarty156 10-06-2008 04:35 AM

No, definitely doesn't close automatically. Have a look at the runners and mechanism - how can it possibly close itself? There's nothing physically there to pull it down.

LW78 10-06-2008 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='686310' date='Oct 6 2008, 02:35 PM
No, definitely doesn't close automatically. Have a look at the runners and mechanism - how can it possibly close itself? There's nothing physically there to pull it down.

That's what I'm saying!

ntpcrew13 10-06-2008 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='686310' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:35 AM

do you guys have the long springs running along inside the tracking of where the rear cargo cover goes up? there are 2 black tabs on the top that push the cargo cover down automatically when the liftgate is being closed. i know that the e91s do not ahve the springs and the black tabs inside the tracking.

LW78 10-06-2008 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ntpcrew13' post='686367' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:09 PM
do you guys have the long springs running along inside the tracking of where the rear cargo cover goes up? there are 2 black tabs on the top that push the cargo cover down automatically when the liftgate is being closed. i know that the e91s do not ahve the springs and the black tabs inside the tracking.

There's definitely nothing there to push the cover down.

I worked for BMW during the introduction of the e61, so I've seen lots of e61's and none of them auto closed the cargo cover. There was an option to auto close the liftgate, but in my memory the cover didn't close with it.