E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

rear cargo cover???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntpcrew13' post='685678' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:07 AM
i was wondering if someone could help me out. we recently purchased an e61 and we are having a small issue with the rear cargo cover now, but the dealership cannot fix the issue due to the fact they have never seen it before. we bought the car about a month ago and the rear cargo cover would automatically open and close once you press the liftgate to open or close. the small problem we have now is that the rear cargo cover will only automatically open when we press to open the liftgate and the rear cargo cover will not automatically close when we press the liftgate button to close the trunk. i brought it in for warranty services, but the dealership said its not suppose to close automatically. i told them i wouldnt be complaining about the issue if i didnt see it done before. so my question is can someone confirm that it automatically opens and closes after you press the liftgate button? so there is no confusion, i am talking about the cargo tarp inside the trunk that covers the rear. my dealership has never seen an e61; so they said they cannot fix it unless they actually see or know about the feature i am talking about. we purchased this vehicle from a maryland bmw dealership; since chicagoland dealerships didnt have what we were looking for. so if anyone can help, thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Members

It isn't supposed to close automatically - only open, as far as I undertsand it. I did have a problem with mine which was that it wouldn't always open automatically, and only a replacement luggage blind unit fixed that.
Regards,
Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by Mike.Allen' post='765847' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:55 AM
It isn't supposed to close automatically - only open, as far as I undertsand it. I did have a problem with mine which was that it wouldn't always open automatically, and only a replacement luggage blind unit fixed that.
Regards,
Mike
...My cover always opened and closed automatically until last week when it decided to jam in the up position. If you think the rearward vision is limited by the small hatch window, try driving with the cargo cover blocking the view. The car's due at the dealer tomorrow. Let's hope this an easy fix.
Al T.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Members

Hi everyone,

quick question for those that have the auto-cargo-cover "close" feature....

We have a 2010 US spec 5 wagon. We have the auto-tailgate option (part of the free value package for US-spec 2010s).
The cargo cover auto opens, but it does not auto close. Based on this thread, I told my dealer my car might have been built without that feature by mistake. She told me no US wagons has ever had the auto-cargo-cover "close" feature.

Can anyone with a US-spec wagon point me to pictures or videos of that feature in action? Anyone in the Northeast? My dealer is in the Boston area.
Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KatanaPilot' post='1049713' date='Nov 7 2009, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone,

quick question for those that have the auto-cargo-cover "close" feature....

We have a 2010 US spec 5 wagon. We have the auto-tailgate option (part of the free value package for US-spec 2010s).
The cargo cover auto opens, but it does not auto close. Based on this thread, I told my dealer my car might have been built without that feature by mistake. She told me no US wagons has ever had the auto-cargo-cover "close" feature.

Can anyone with a US-spec wagon point me to pictures or videos of that feature in action? Anyone in the Northeast? My dealer is in the Boston area.
Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Are you sure that feature is part of the value package? I just ordered a US spec E61 and that was not part of the value package. According to the Vehicle Inquiry Report the Value Package is 248 Heating Steering Wheel, 464 Ski Bag, 494 Heated Front Seats, 502 Retractable Headlight Washers, and 6FL Ipod and USB Adapter.

Maybe the auto close feature is part of the Premium Package, 316 Power Tailgate. Do you have that option?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ygbsm' post='1049758' date='Nov 7 2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe the auto close feature is part of the Premium Package, 316 Power Tailgate. Do you have that option?
Yes I do have that option. Sorry for the option package mix-up. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KatanaPilot' post='1049762' date='Nov 7 2009, 09:07 PM
Yes I do have that option. Sorry for the option package mix-up. Thanks.
My Client Advisor confirmed that the cargo cover should go up and down automatically. She will have their mechanic take a look before the car is re-delivered to me.
Thank you all.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by ntpcrew13' post='685678' date='Oct 5 2008, 04:07 PM
i was wondering if someone could help me out. we recently purchased an e61 and we are having a small issue with the rear cargo cover now, but the dealership cannot fix the issue due to the fact they have never seen it before. we bought the car about a month ago and the rear cargo cover would automatically open and close once you press the liftgate to open or close. the small problem we have now is that the rear cargo cover will only automatically open when we press to open the liftgate and the rear cargo cover will not automatically close when we press the liftgate button to close the trunk. i brought it in for warranty services, but the dealership said its not suppose to close automatically. i told them i wouldnt be complaining about the issue if i didnt see it done before. so my question is can someone confirm that it automatically opens and closes after you press the liftgate button? so there is no confusion, i am talking about the cargo tarp inside the trunk that covers the rear. my dealership has never seen an e61; so they said they cannot fix it unless they actually see or know about the feature i am talking about. we purchased this vehicle from a maryland bmw dealership; since chicagoland dealerships didnt have what we were looking for. so if anyone can help, thanks in advance.
It is only opening automatically. It must be pressed down by hands.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Members

I?m really confused now, have people mixed up closing tailgate and tailgate cover ??

I have Euro E61 535D - 05 with automatic tailgate operation. I has bothered me from the beginning that cover is not closing automatically.
Now you guys are telling me that it should work....

Can someone please confirm this that the cover (Not tailgate) really CLOSES automatically and check the mechanism how it works because I did look at it and don?t figure out how could it work impossible

Or there might be some differences in newer production versions
Video would be nice also
Old 11-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by FIN530D' post='1050632' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:36 PM
I?m really confused now, have people mixed up closing tailgate and tailgate cover ??

I have Euro E61 535D - 05 with automatic tailgate operation. I has bothered me from the beginning that cover is not closing automatically.
Now you guys are telling me that it should work....

Can someone please confirm this that the cover (Not tailgate) really CLOSES automatically and check the mechanism how it works because I did look at it and don?t figure out how could it work impossible

Or there might be some differences in newer production versions
Video would be nice also
I am talking about trunk cover. I had two E61 with different options and have friends having them as well and it does not exist a trunk cover that closes automatically, only opens.

Quick Reply: rear cargo cover???