E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New 535 XIT Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tire info Lotus. Unfortunately you are correct, Bridgestone does not cover road hazards. I have an appointment with the insurance adjuster tomorrow to find out what they will cover.

I'm in Manitoba so our insurance company is a Crown Corporation owned by the Provincial Government. Since it's not a private company they are limited to how much profit they can make. Every year we get an insurance rebate based on how much profit they made (usually around 10% of what you paid for the year). This year we received 45% back. The refund is just like a Federal Tax refund.

And they cover just about everything with minimal deductibles and pretty cheap yearly premiums. $1,300 to insure the BMW for the year and I'll get 10-45%back. That includes a $100 deductible, $5 mil liability and free car rental when the car is in the shop.

It used to be better with "no fault" insurance years ago. If you were in a single vehicle accident nobody was at fault. No impact to your insurance premiums or license merits. But they got rid of no fault. lol

I'll find out what they will cover tomorrow.

As for BMW Roadside Assistance they have "Trip interruption coverage". "Trip-interruption benefits. If you should experience a breakdown covered by
warranty 100 miles or more away from home, you are entitled to trip-interruption benefits, including reimbursement for meals, lodging, car rentals and/or substitute transportation.
This coverage is limited to a reimbursement up to $1,000 per incident, up to five days from disablement date. Claims for these benefits must
include original receipts for services provided(i.e., meals, lodging, car rentals and/or substitute transportation)."

That quote is from the US agreement. But I found the Canadian one as well and it was $800. Just can't find it now. Will keep looking.

BMW USA Roadside Assistance
Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

BC is the same as MB, but I still didn't think regular car coverage would cover something like damage to wheels and tires caused by oneself hitting something. I guess it could be treated like an accident though no different than you taking a corner too fast, and hitting something with the car... In which case, you could decide if it's worth the potential premium increase to make a claim I guess.

So is that how you'd be making the claim? As a collision?

The trip interruption part I know most insurers provide and it's often included automatically in the optional insurance coverage you can get if you're a good driver. BCAA has that too if you carry their travel insurance.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Members

Yes, I claimed it as a single vehicle accident (collision).

Just got back from the appointment with the adjuster. They will pay 100%, check is in the mail and I should have it in 3-5 business days. After explaining that it happened on the freeway in rush hour traffic, with 4 lanes of traffic doing 70 mph they determined that I was not at fault. There is nobody to blame for the accident so no impact to my premiums or license.

Now to deal with BMW USA for the trip interruption coverage. I'll update how that goes.