E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New 535 XIT Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Congrats on the car and sorry about the accident! I did the same thing as you (bringing a car up) and have an almost identical car! Here's my thread: https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...t-has-arrived/

RFT's are covered under road hazards too (prorated warranty). The tire warranty should be part of the manuals in the car. If you don't have it, send me a PM and I'll email mine to you (Goodyear's, though I'd guess all RFT's are the same).

You sure your car's CPO is valid here though? I don't doubt that you bought a CPO'd car in the US. But I'm almost certain that (from all the posts I've read across various BMW forums and speaking with dealers here) that the CPO doesn't work when you bring it across the border.

PS Did you manage to activate the BMW Assist here though? Even though the first 4 years are included with the car, they refused to do so for mine because it's been imported...
Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Members

Thanks Lotus99. I love the color combo. We do have pretty much identical cars, except yours is 2 years newer. And they skipped on the park distance on mine as well and instead went with LDA and Night Vision....go figure.

I was wondering about prorated warranty on the tires. I have all of the manuals including the CPO documents but no tire warranty. That would be great if you could email them to me. I'll be seeing the dealer where I bought it from in the coming weeks to have the m-sport package installed.

CPO is not valid in Canada but I get the comfort of knowing that it was CPO and reconditioned by BMW prior to it being sold. So car runs like brand new. I used BMW Assist for the accident while I was still in the US and there were no questions asked. They knew who I was right away, had my name, home address and sent roadside assistance within 45 min. What I will do in the future is continue to use BMW Assist by calling the US number instead of the Canadian number since it is still active under the warranty. And BMW Assist is good for when your car is in the US or CAN. You should do the same.

I called BMW CAN last week to ask about it and they said no CPO extended warranty or Assist as it's not a Canadian car.

BTW - I didn't have to pay the $2-3k that BMW CAN tells buyers they have to pay to make the car Canadian (new cluster, x-drive reprogramming for KM and Celsius...). Nor did I pay them any money ($200-$500) for the recall letter. BMW US provided that for free. But I wonder how my local dealer will be when I do have to take it in for service. Have you been in for service yet?

I have also inquired about third party insurance and have some quotes. Anywhere from $2700 to $4200 depending on the amount of years and KMs you choose. I'm thinking it might be worth it since our cars aren't cheap to fix.

And I read your post and I agree that it's pretty nice to be one of only a handful of Canadians with this car. It turns a lot of heads, I get comments about it all the time.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

PM me your email and the type of tires you have, I might be able to get the PDF for your specific brand even.

When I called BMW Assist the first time (I pushed the button in the car and they could tell my location of course), they didn't have me registered, and first told me as a new owner I'd have to go thru a BMW dealer to have it transfered, etc. and that's when it came out that I'd have to pay their $150 a year (or whatever ridiculous amount they wanted) to have it active in Canada. I think they need a US address to have it registered...

What's the US number? I was going to try to call in when I have some time, just in case somehow I could get it transferred.

With CPO, you might still be able to go back to the US and have work done, I'd think.

The car dealer I used to import it also didn't have to pay any fees or have the cluster swapped in the end, even though at first he said he'd heard recently BMW US dealers won't issue the recall letters for exports. I've been in for warranty work no problem already.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Members

PM'd you my email and tire info.

I didn't use the SOS button but called the Roadside Assistance number. I scanned the Assist card below for you.

New 535 XIT Owner-bmw-assist-contacts_0001.jpg

I forgot to mention that the car is CPO but I didn't purchase it as a CPO. Since the extended warranty wouldn't be valid in Canada I negotiated $2,500 off the price to purchase it and not activate CPO.

The closest BMW dealer/service center is 7-8 hours away from where I am so really not an option for me to cross the border for service.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Members

sorry double post
Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Members

BMW ASSIST and BMW roadside assistance are two separate programs

cpo: roadside assistance standard
cpo: bmw assist only standard for first four years of the car's life. after that you have to pay

fyi: hardly anything involved in getting a car cpo done by bmw. you can search for that. I hope you obtained a ppi.
cpo: good if you find something wrong with the car, otherwise always a good idea to treat a cpo purchase just like any other used car purchase

We ended up purchasing it after the lease as no new wagons coming to NA, still had to call and reactivate the SOS account because once we CPO'ed it, it reset.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by obiwan
BMW ASSIST and BMW roadside assistance are two separate programs

cpo: roadside assistance standard
cpo: bmw assist only standard for first four years of the car's life. after that you have to pay
Good point clarifying that obiwan.

Aram, thanks for scanning the card, I'll check it. I don't have a PM from you, BTW.

So have you tried the BMW Assist number? I'm curious if that would work...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Members

Obiwan, you are correct I have not used BMW Assist but BMW Roadside Assistance. Which are two different things now that I read the owner info here http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...r/Default.aspx

What CPO did for me was get the car $2,500 less then the final price we had agreed on. And knowing that they are willing to add 2 more years and 40k more miles to the warranty. What I have done is used the $2,500 I saved and got a ppi with it at a better deal. So win win.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

Lotus, I'll give BMW assist a try this week and let you know.

Stuck in meetings all day. Just pm'd you.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aram2255
My insurance should cover 100% plus some additional expenses. Whatever they don't cover I will have BMW Road Side Assistance cover as per what is stated in their agreement PDF.
What kind of insurance do you have that covers damage to wheels and tires? I didn't know of auto insurance that covers such things?

And if your auto insurance doesn't cover the damage, BMW Roadside will cover it, or did you mean they'll cover your extra expenses due to your stayover if your auto insurance doesn't?

PS I emailed you the warranty. From a quick read, unfortunately it looks like Bridgestone doesn't cover road hazards, while Goodyear does on their RFT's... Maybe they feel bad charging you $500 a tire for the Goodyears...

Quick Reply: New 535 XIT Owner