E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New 535 XIT Owner

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a CPO 2008 535 XIT After test driving multiple SUV's (Audi Q5, Lexus RH350, Volvo XC60 R-Design, BMW X5...) I couldn't settle for an SUV and the lack of handling and responsiveness.

This is an extremely rare vehicle in Canada. I might be the only one with this car in my city. There was only one for sale in all of Canada and in Vancouver, about a 30 hour drive from where I am. So I bought one from the US (It is extremely easy for any Canadians looking to buy a US car and bringing it to Canada). Crossed the Border late last Wednesday and had the car safetied, insured and with plates by Friday morning.

It has just over 39k miles. Here are the details of the car.
Black Sapphire Metallic
Natural Brown Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
M-Sport Package
18" 124's
Heated Rear Seats
Lane Departure Warning
Nav
HUD
Night Vision
iPod Interface

So far loving the car except for one problem I ran into while still in the US. I was in Minneapolis and heading to the ballpark with the family (wife and 2 year old and 8 month old daughters). And I hit a pot hole doing 70 mph (113 kph)on the freeway during rush hour. It sounded like a shotgun went off in the car and I immediately got the low tire pressure warning telling me I could still drive for 150 miles at a 50 mph max. But I decided to turn off at the next exit and call BMW road side assistance. They were very helpful and a guy was there in 45 min. And it was a good thing I pulled over, the tire was not damaged but having a closer look I notice the rim was cracked. It ended up being cracked in half along it's diameter. I assume that this was a faulty rim, I have never seen anything like that. Neither had the BWM service center when I took it in. It ended up costing me over $1,900 to replace two rims and two tires (service guy send a second rim was dented and that the tires couldn't be removed due to the damaged rims). Working with my insurance right now to cover the cost as well as the cost of staying 5 days extra in the US while the parts arrived.

Pics are below. Let me know what you guys think. This could have easily been a tragic accident doing 70 mph and the rim splitting in half. But the car did not swerve one bit. [attachment=156835:IMAG0091.jpg]New 535 XIT Owner-imag0090.jpgNew 535 XIT Owner-imag0092.jpg
Attached Thumbnails New 535 XIT Owner-imag0091.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Welcome.. And wow never seen that .
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

Whoa, glad it all worked out. I actually know someone that had the exact same thing happen with brand new factory rims on his brand new car [not a bimmer tho]. Hit a pothole in NYC. Are you running runflats? Only thing I can thing of is that the stiffer sidewall puts stress in a different spot that normal tires, cuz he had RFT as well. Congrats on the new ride. Be careful of snooping around this board, it can cause moddisease, a rare medical condition where you have the sudden urge to spend tons of money on your already expensive automobile. Possible symptoms include, ECU mods, Body Kits, Exhaust mods, Suspension Mods, BBKs and aftermarket rims. The only known cure is discussing these symptoms with your wife, who I'm sure will set you straight.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Members

Holy shi...

First of all im impressed by the car and also the fact that you drive 113 kph i think it was, during rush hour?, whats the speed when theres no rush then.
Anyways, i had a similuar thing happeing to us, it diddnt crack up that good, but 2 rims changed, no tires tough, hit a pothole in 70-80 kph, the bump in the tire came in contact with the calliper and made a very terrifying noise, spoky as hell.

:-)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Members

cute man fixing youre btw, lol
Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Members

To gummysDad - yes running RFTs. And I know all about moddisease. Got the dealer to throw in the m-sport package for $3k, including all parts, painted and installed. Should be ready in a couple of weeks since they had to order it from Germany.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Members

The cute man fixing my tire was what BMW road side assistance sent over. The guy drove up in a Toyota Yaris, and was at least 400 lbs
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

No way should 2 wheels and tires cost that much!!!!!!!

I'm very sorry you didn't know but even at a BMW dealer, the parts department sells those rims new for about $380 plus tax. You would not need new tire pressure sensors as even the damage to the rim would not likely disturb the sensor, but even if you did, one kit is only about $100.

Your tires are nothing special, unless of course they were the Dunlop DSST high performance summer, which are a bit overpriced and I'm not even a tire weenie.

Still, I thought you bought a "cpo" car, which ought to have come with new or near new tires. Anyway, regardless of that, the cost of two sets should be closer to $1000 for rims and sensors plus two tires, which can't possibly be $900! I saw on my car bought from a dealer as a cpo, they had replaced two of the Goodyear RFT which were surprisingly expensive, maybe close to $400 each, but I don't like those tires and went with something else.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Members

It is a CPO with 4 brand new Bridgetone Potenza RFTs. But warranty doesn't cover accidents (hitting a pothole). One tire had a bulge in it and the other one with the cracked rim couldn't be removed without damaging the tire. The $1900 cost is correct.

Rims: $368.91 x 2 = $737.02
Tires: $385.88 x 2 = $771.76
Replacing a valve stem = $15.28
Labor = $96
4 Wheel Alignment = $159.95
Shop supplies = $21.88
Tax = $110.88
Total = $1912.77

My insurance should cover 100% plus some additional expenses. Whatever they don't cover I will have BMW Road Side Assistance cover as per what is stated in their agreement PDF. This should cover my 5 day hotel stay and meals!

Roadside Assistance - The BMW Service Card

BMW Service Card benefits include:

? Trip interruption allowances (by reimbursement) of up to $100 per incident if you are less than 80 kilometres
from your residence and up to $800 per incident if you are more than 80 kilometres from home, which cover
emergency transportation, accomodation, return to repair site and special return of passengers, if required;
? Traffic Accident Services allowances (by reimbursement) of up to $500 for any of the combined expenses,
such as towing, winching and trip interruption allowances as described above, if not provided by your insurer.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

Aram, nice score on the m-tech kit... Next you an ECU mod to make the car perform like its supposed to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 535 XIT Owner