E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Help - turn indicator rear right failure! ..but it´s LEDs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, once again i´m asking for your precious help

My rear right turn indicator on my 520da Touring 2008 (E61) still blinks but with 5% of the normal light intensity, i am not even shore that other cars see it at night... problem is that the turn indicator is in this case build with "leds", the error that i get is "turn indicator rear right failure!"...

Has it happen before to someone here ? any suggestion ?
Attached Thumbnails Help - turn indicator rear right failure! ..but it´s LEDs...-foto-farol.jpg  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Members

This is not a very common problem, but when it happens, there are no easy solutions. I think the only solution for this it is the replacement of the complete tail light. The leds are built in the case and there is no easy DIY for solving it.

Sorry for that.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pmgoliv
This is not a very common problem, but when it happens, there are no easy solutions. I think the only solution for this it is the replacement of the complete tail light. The leds are built in the case and there is no easy DIY for solving it.

Sorry for that.
Hello pmgoliv,

do you know if it possible to remove the module were the leds are ? if i could remove it maybe i could solve the problem...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PauloBMW
Hello pmgoliv,

do you know if it possible to remove the module were the leds are ? if i could remove it maybe i could solve the problem...
Perhaps it could be possible, but I think there are no spare parts for it. You would have to rebuild the led module. Not easy, if even possible...
A possibility would be to buy a broken tail light from a wrecked car and switch the inside...
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pmgoliv
Perhaps it could be possible, but I think there are no spare parts for it. You would have to rebuild the led module. Not easy, if even possible...
A possibility would be to buy a broken tail light from a wrecked car and switch the inside...
My doubt is if it is possible to remove the led module from inside of the tail light ?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Members

My doubt is if it is possible to remove the led module from inside of the tail light ?
No more suggestions ?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

No more suggestions ?
When I was upgrading to LCI rear lights I had the same issue. Bought the lights second hand, but one had the same issue you stated. Tried to repair it, but had to buy another light unit.

The problem is that the LEDs are on a PCB which is molded within the light unit. So removing the PCB would involve damaging the complete structure of the light unit from the inner side. Tried to even remove the plastic and check from the other side but damaged more than good. In the end decided to buy another second hand unit.

So, LEDs do work for a lifetime but the connection parts are susceptible to physical damage (flat cables, PCB's).