5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Help - turn indicator rear right failure! ..but it´s LEDs... (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/help-turn-indicator-rear-right-failure-but-%C2%B4s-leds-126385/)

PauloBMW 09-20-2012 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, once again i´m asking for your precious help :help:

My rear right turn indicator on my 520da Touring 2008 (E61) still blinks but with 5% of the normal light intensity, i am not even shore that other cars see it at night... problem is that the turn indicator is in this case build with "leds", the error that i get is "turn indicator rear right failure!"...

Has it happen before to someone here ? any suggestion ?

pmgoliv 09-20-2012 06:51 AM

This is not a very common problem, but when it happens, there are no easy solutions. I think the only solution for this it is the replacement of the complete tail light. The leds are built in the case and there is no easy DIY for solving it.

Sorry for that.

PauloBMW 09-21-2012 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by pmgoliv (Post 1469840)
This is not a very common problem, but when it happens, there are no easy solutions. I think the only solution for this it is the replacement of the complete tail light. The leds are built in the case and there is no easy DIY for solving it.

Sorry for that.

Hello pmgoliv,

do you know if it possible to remove the module were the leds are ? if i could remove it maybe i could solve the problem...

pmgoliv 09-21-2012 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PauloBMW (Post 1470007)
Hello pmgoliv,

do you know if it possible to remove the module were the leds are ? if i could remove it maybe i could solve the problem...

Perhaps it could be possible, but I think there are no spare parts for it. You would have to rebuild the led module. Not easy, if even possible...
A possibility would be to buy a broken tail light from a wrecked car and switch the inside...

PauloBMW 09-22-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by pmgoliv (Post 1470112)
Perhaps it could be possible, but I think there are no spare parts for it. You would have to rebuild the led module. Not easy, if even possible...
A possibility would be to buy a broken tail light from a wrecked car and switch the inside...

My doubt is if it is possible to remove the led module from inside of the tail light ?

PauloBMW 09-25-2012 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by PauloBMW (Post 1470167)
My doubt is if it is possible to remove the led module from inside of the tail light ?

No more suggestions ?

paulie 09-28-2012 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by PauloBMW (Post 1470654)
No more suggestions ?

When I was upgrading to LCI rear lights I had the same issue. Bought the lights second hand, but one had the same issue you stated. Tried to repair it, but had to buy another light unit.

The problem is that the LEDs are on a PCB which is molded within the light unit. So removing the PCB would involve damaging the complete structure of the light unit from the inner side. Tried to even remove the plastic and check from the other side but damaged more than good. In the end decided to buy another second hand unit.

So, LEDs do work for a lifetime but the connection parts are susceptible to physical damage (flat cables, PCB's).