E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

headliner rattle 06 XiT

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 XiT

when i have the sunroof headliner all the way open, but glass closed I get a very annoying rattle coming from the back of the car...If i close the headline up to only about a third the way open, it goes way...Anyone experience this? I do not want to take in in to the dealership, because they generally screw up something else, so i didn't know if someone had a fix for this I want thinking that perhaps it is a wire or cable from the reat shark fin or speakers...any help is welcomed as i love the sunshine but hate the rattle!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Members

maybe the clips that attach the headliner to the roof have come apart or unglued. i only know about the clips because a service tech at the dealership broke mine when trying to access the rear sunroof drains on my 06 xiT (which i refused service for to begin with). if it's a clip issue, the headliner would sag a bit. if it seems ok, you could easily separate the h-liner from the weather seal, carefully unclip the h-liner and check it out with a flashlight. hope this helps. just curious, have you had any problems with the sunroof drains or water leaks?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Members

forgot to mention, the clips that i was referring to are at the rear just inside the cargo area.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jsb1970
maybe the clips that attach the headliner to the roof have come apart or unglued. i only know about the clips because a service tech at the dealership broke mine when trying to access the rear sunroof drains on my 06 xiT (which i refused service for to begin with). if it's a clip issue, the headliner would sag a bit. if it seems ok, you could easily separate the h-liner from the weather seal, carefully unclip the h-liner and check it out with a flashlight. hope this helps. just curious, have you had any problems with the sunroof drains or water leaks?
I bought the car CPO in Nov 09 and made sure the dealer checked the sunroof drains, etc...The first time i washed the car, noticed a leak on the inside of the windshield and the dealer replaced the sunroof cassette, and windshield caulk and rubber seal...Now the sunroof makes a howling noise when driving and the rattle when the roof is open...so I am real leary going back to a dealer where their "mechanics" can do more damage... I have downloaded TIS and will likely do my own work on it.

My first 2 months of ownership, the car spent 3 weeks in service, after it was "supposed" to have been inspected...FWIW, this has been my 3rd BMW, (E34 Wagon, X5...) and I am about finished with BMW's because of "tempermental" problems with cars and "tempermental" problems with dealers...