E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Extended voice-activated system

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by juliann' post='287036' date='May 24 2006, 04:51 PM
Cheers mate, I'll book it in.

Just junked my runflats today after one blew (literally) at 110mph on the M5 last night. If you want two cheap NCT 18" spares, the fronts have loads of tread left on them. Let me know if you do.

off topic : I've also got a Weimeraner and she's from Norfolk - spooky !
Never saw this post before for some reason!

How bizzare about the Weimeraner.

Oh and I just sold my run flats cheap and treated the car to some Pirellis!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

This is an interesting thread ... when I purchased my 530d E61 last year (01/05 build date with media pack) I spent some time trying to find a dealer not too far from Cambridge that would fit Extended Voice. I was never quoted less than ?650 and most dealers didn't know what was required :'( . I gave up trying, but it seems you may have found a dealer that is capable of doing the job for the kind of money that was mentioned in some of the previous posts on this topic.

Do you know what was involved in the fitting - did they replace the menu button with the split two-button variant? Can I ask if the price you paid include recoding (i.e. updating to the latest CIP), or was this being done for some other reason?

I did wonder at one point whether car model year was sigificant in terms of cost ... but after I got MP3 working on an 01/05 car (BMW's official support being cars from 03/05) I'm inclined to think the CCC hardware doesn't vary that much.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Members

Apologize for the ignorance, but I have an '04 545 w/ ProNav and the car is voice activated.

What does the "extended" voice activated system do for you and would it apply to my car?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by VTec' post='299062' date='Jun 17 2006, 10:44 PM
Apologize for the ignorance, but I have an '04 545 w/ ProNav and the car is voice activated.

What does the "extended" voice activated system do for you and would it apply to my car?
Hi Vtec, I think this is probably a geographical variation. Here in the UK 'Extended Voice Control' means control of many of the iDrive functions though voice commands. Sounds like you probably have that already.

IIRC you could (at least in 2005) only order Extended Voice Control as an option here in the UK if you also ordered the media pack (Pro SatNav, Pro Radio & Bluetooth phone prep). I imagine it was termed 'Extended' to differentiate it from the limited voice control functionality that was a part of the Bluetooth phone prep if you ordered that alone. By a quirk of the BMW options system this basic voice control was removed when you ordered the media pack and to get voice control of anything you had to specify 'Extended Voice Control'.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by sumu' post='299058' date='Jun 17 2006, 10:31 PM
This is an interesting thread ... when I purchased my 530d E61 last year (01/05 build date with media pack) I spent some time trying to find a dealer not too far from Cambridge that would fit Extended Voice. I was never quoted less than ?650 and most dealers didn't know what was required :'( . I gave up trying, but it seems you may have found a dealer that is capable of doing the job for the kind of money that was mentioned in some of the previous posts on this topic.

Do you know what was involved in the fitting - did they replace the menu button with the split two-button variant? Can I ask if the price you paid include recoding (i.e. updating to the latest CIP), or was this being done for some other reason?

I did wonder at one point whether car model year was sigificant in terms of cost ... but after I got MP3 working on an 01/05 car (BMW's official support being cars from 03/05) I'm inclined to think the CCC hardware doesn't vary that much.

My 535d Touring was built in Jan 05. I purchased it (new, but showroom stock) in May 05. It had the full media package (prof nav, bluetooth etc...) but no voice at all. I tried for over a year to get Carrs, Bury ST Eds, to fit. First they said 'not possible', then they said may be possible, but over ?800.

Lind, Norwich have now done mine & GIzzE's car (at least). I have the 'latest version' which has clever bits like the computer being able to verbalise the names on your sim card. The Menu button is now split Menu/voice and I suspect theres an extra mic in the roof.

The total cost was ?201 + VAT (give or take ?10 either way) - there was no other work done on my car but they did say that my car needed 'a shed load' of updates - which were, of course, done.

Only other cost was the courtesy car @ ?15 per day - a paltry 116i - but still drifted roundabouts well if you kept the revs up.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sumu' post='299073' date='Jun 17 2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Vtec, I think this is probably a geographical variation. Here in the UK 'Extended Voice Control' means control of many of the iDrive functions though voice commands. Sounds like you probably have that already.
Thanks much - just didn't know they packaged it that way in the UK.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by VTec' post='299286' date='Jun 18 2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks much - just didn't know they packaged it that way in the UK.
I too realised that basic voice came out only when I got the car! I went down the same route of calling various dealers and finally got an extremely good deal. So good I got Voice and Aux done for the factory option price of Voice only. In the end I was glad I didn't get voice as an option. Anyway it's no longer a real issue because now BMW package Voice with the media package in the UK anyway.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='299235' date='Jun 18 2006, 12:43 PM
My 535d Touring was built in Jan 05. I purchased it (new, but showroom stock) in May 05. It had the full media package (prof nav, bluetooth etc...) but no voice at all. I tried for over a year to get Carrs, Bury ST Eds, to fit. First they said 'not possible', then they said may be possible, but over ?800.

Lind, Norwich have now done mine & GIzzE's car (at least). I have the 'latest version' which has clever bits like the computer being able to verbalise the names on your sim card. The Menu button is now split Menu/voice and I suspect theres an extra mic in the roof.

The total cost was ?201 + VAT (give or take ?10 either way) - there was no other work done on my car but they did say that my car needed 'a shed load' of updates - which were, of course, done.

Only other cost was the courtesy car @ ?15 per day - a paltry 116i - but still drifted roundabouts well if you kept the revs up.
Hi juliann, sounds like you experienced the same runaround as I did - with the exception that you've now managed to find a solution. I think I'll give Lind a call this week and see what they have to say. I wonder if they've also got a magic solution for squeeky brakes too (the other frustration I have).
Old 06-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by sumu' post='299350' date='Jun 18 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi juliann, sounds like you experienced the same runaround as I did - with the exception that you've now managed to find a solution. I think I'll give Lind a call this week and see what they have to say. I wonder if they've also got a magic solution for squeeky brakes too (the other frustration I have).

Jonathan in service is the guy to speak to. No magic fix for squeaky brakes - I did ask the head tech as I have the same issue which Carrs tried but failed to resolve.

BTW : don't rely on your nav dvd to guide you to the dealership - they've moved since 2005 v1 was issued ! They're now beside the Norfolk Showground - not the centre of town where I first arrived at
Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sumu' post='299058' date='Jun 17 2006, 04:31 PM

Im fascinated to know how you got MP3 on your 2005 car! I have one with Media pack and MP3 doesnt seem to work!

Quick Reply: Extended voice-activated system