E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 535 xiT, '11 K1300S

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
The OEM mounts were reused.

Thanks for the reply.

I have CKS coilover on mine and started to experience some clunk noise from rear (had it for 5-months and about 5,000-miles). I am at 66,xxx miles... So, I was just wondering if you had reinforced, new OEM, or what not.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Update: These rear brakes are a pain.

Changing the hubs has proven to be a real challenge; removing them takes some special tools (hub puller) and working in awkward positions (the hub is held on by 4 bolts which much be removed from the inside of the steering knuckle).

My father and I tried building our own hub puller with a small 2-ton floor jack, a steel bar and some chains. The end result was slightly bent/compressed threads on the 1/2 shaft, the hub was content staying where it was. A 12-ton puller from Harbor Freight saved the day, with me (6'8" 250lbs) putting all my muscle into pumping the jack and my father shocking the hub with a small sledge - we became successful.

We now have to re-thread the damaged shaft, replace a bearing has some play in it and appears to be damaged (probably damaged during it's previous removal.... I understand), service and readjust the parking brake, and we will be good to go.

Here are some pictures of this month-long weekend project. I included some shots of the stock E61 hub and M5 replacement which is required to have the rotor and caliper properly align. There is a roughly a 1" difference between the 2 units.

Evan

Why was it necessary to change the rear hubs? The M5 rotors didn't bolt on directly?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

If M5 brakes were mounted directly to the stock xi hubs they would not align with the brake caliper. The stock rotors are offset inward from the mounting mount to compensate for this.

The options are to change xi --> M5 hubs to get the M5 brakes aligned with the stock caliper bracket position OR get some custom caliper brackets made that would compensate for the offset (but this is not really an option as the strength of the braking system would be compromised, I just used it as an example to further clarify the situation).

Evan
Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring

Thanks Evan!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 LCI 535dA SportEdition 2010

Wow, you've done your car really nice!

Did I understand correctly that you are driving now, on the latest pics, with OEM M5 fenders? Where the vents are?

ps. Wheels are sick! Unfortunately they get too expensive to get them to finland...

edit. Ok, i did find the answer from stanceworks topic.. you have "fill them up"

Last edited by Matson^; 02-06-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

I like keeping a low profile with the aesthetics on my cars. I didn't see the functionality of having the vents with my n54 engine and I prefer to have a clean look on the body. Vents, scoops, wings, etc. rarely do it for me so I had them filled in prior to painting the fenders.

In addition to having smooth body aesthetics, I like mods that will be overlooked by civilians and make an enthusiast double-take; in this case: noticing the beefy stance or wondering how I fit 19x9.5 wheels on the front of an xi. On the surface it looks normal but once you dive deeper there is more to it.

Evan

Originally Posted by Matson^
Wow, you've done your car really nice!

Did I understand correctly that you are driving now, on the latest pics, with OEM M5 fenders? Where the vents are?

ps. Wheels are sick! Unfortunately they get too expensive to get them to finland...

edit. Ok, i did find the answer from stanceworks topic.. you have "fill them up"
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 LCI 535dA SportEdition 2010

I like keeping a low profile with the aesthetics on my cars. I didn't see the functionality of having the vents with my n54 engine and I prefer to have a clean look on the body. Vents, scoops, wings, etc. rarely do it for me so I had them filled in prior to painting the fenders.

In addition to having smooth body aesthetics, I like mods that will be overlooked by civilians and make an enthusiast double-take; in this case: noticing the beefy stance or wondering how I fit 19x9.5 wheels on the front of an xi. On the surface it looks normal but once you dive deeper there is more to it.

Evan
I think same, less is more! Clean look, so civilians don't even notice than juts stance and wheels Respect
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

My front wheels are back after being remachined by Forgestar, Rubber is mounted and wheels are installed! As a refresher:

Forgestar F14 SDC - Textured Gunmetal
FRONT: 19x9.5 et23ish Hankook V12 245/40
REAR: 19x10 et30ish Hankook V12 275/35

Since the rear M5 hubs changed my offsets by about 20mm (ordered wheels before brake upgrade ) There is a 12mm spacer on the rear but I am swapping them out to a 20mm.
Wheel Question - Why did you need to have the wheels Remachined? Did they make them a bit lower than 24 considering that's as low as they will go for the 19x9.5 SDC?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Island Road
Wheel Question - Why did you need to have the wheels Remachined? Did they make them a bit lower than 24 considering that's as low as they will go for the 19x9.5 SDC?
Long story I would prefer to forget about, I will email you.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i - M Package

Update please?

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All