E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

Quite the diverse crowd in here. What's up guys?

Interested in the intake development as well. Doesn't seem fair the E9x crowd gets all the fun.

Beautiful car Evan, yours is the primary motivator for me contemplating an E61. Well, that and the Second Ice Age this winter.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Island Road
Evan,

Everything is looking great, I will be watching the 6 M/T Swap closely for sure. As for the RB's are you going to be creating new inlets for the turbos? I am not sure if you have been following the recent development with removing all the stock intake piping for larger more efficient plumbing.

In doing some with 335xi the record is 607 AWHP. I know this is somewhat of a glory run but once this is done it frees up so much breathing room as the turbos don't need to work as hard.

I will be install Hexon turbos until they ship me the RR650. I will be developing some kid of inlets that will require a relocation of the coolant reservoir.

Dan
I have been following the turbo inlets and seen the 600+rwhp and AWHP pulls from the E9X guys, impressive any way you slice it. I don't necessarily want or need to push that kind of power because I have visions of my output shafts and other drivetrain components struggling with the load, I have already replaced a damaged front half-shaft.

BUT I do like the idea of the inlets with upgraded turbos (RBs in my case) being able to make the same power with less strain on the turbo is reason enough for me. Longevity is the name of the game for me and part of the reason why I am upgrading to RBs.

Development of the inlets will likely be interesting as we can copy most of what the E9X guys do but with some unexpected nasty surprises, my biggest concern at this point is clearance around the turbos to fit the intake piping or lack there of, I think the resorting of the engine bay won't be too difficult but I don't have much data to back this up, just a speculation.

There is a another member "Ocean" on N54Tech who is really progressive with his 535xi's performance he may be headed down this road as well, we should all sync up develop together if timing allows.

Regarding the design I like what another N54Tech member did with his "DIY" turbo inlet system; instead of 2 filters and 2 pipes he runs 1 Filter that splits and feeds both turbos. I like the idea of the air pressure and source being the same for both turbos, it makes sense to me, and let's not forget that the parts for his intake build were around $150 as opposed to $1,100 or $1,500 or whatever TFT charges...... murder.

Evan

Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

I like that, but seems the E61 DSC unit is in a problematic location. Where is it on the M5 touring? For that matter, I wonder if the M5 DSC unit would work as a retrofit...
Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jcolley
I like that, but seems the E61 DSC unit is in a problematic location. Where is it on the M5 touring? For that matter, I wonder if the M5 DSC unit would work as a retrofit...
I am not sure about the M5 DSC unit, I will look into that later.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

LED interior lighting

My machined pedals arrived, I ran these on my M5 and love them, pricey but totally worth it.

You drill holes right into your oem pedals.

All mounted

Detail

My Data-logging cable was ran like this and it drove me crazy, I tried to run it through the wire wall once and failed, I wasn't taking no for an answer this time.

The tutorials I saw for 335s and E60 M5s didn't apply to me, I had to cut a hole in the plastic to route the cable.

I used some flashlights to help locate where the hole needed to be

Hole and hanger used for feeding the cable through

Much better

I drained my BMS Oil Catch Can while I had my engine bay apart, a fair amount of oil from maybe 1 year of use

Swapped the e-brake handle for an aluminum one, before

After

Much better, a sport steering wheel and round air bag is next.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

19x10 ====> 19x11 Rears

Evan

Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

I snagged a set of Ultra Racing braces for my wagon, thanks Booyaazaa! Front upper strut, front lower strut, and rear lower. My wagon came stock with some E61 specific pull rods to help with the added weight up top of the panoramic roof, I wasn't sure if this brace would work in conjunction but I ma happy to say it does. This UR braces uses the same mounting locations the M5 pull rods would but I don't think the M5 units would overlap with my E61 rods, so I think this is the best configuration I can manage.

Don't mind my schmorgesborg of an exhaust system; it is ugly and heavy and will be replaced this week or next with a completely custom system with the help of Turbo Hoses out in Livermore, CA ...more on that soon.

There is some contact between the brace and exhaust so as a temporary fix I used some high temp silicone rubber covered with some high temp aluminum foil, hopefully it holds until my new system goes in.

My pull rods were a little weathered so I pulled them off, washed them, and hit them with a couple coats of Rustoleum High Temp paint.

Evan

Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
LED interior lighting
Hey, that looks familiar.... Are those from the same source as I got mine?

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Much better, a sport steering wheel and round air bag is next.
Wait, didn't you have a different trim colour you had plasti dipped like 6 months ago? Did you redo your dip / cover it with vinyl wrap already?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wait, didn't you have a different trim colour you had plasti dipped like 6 months ago? Did you redo your dip / cover it with vinyl wrap already?
It is the same Plasti-Dip I applied a while ago, it has held up extremely well on the decorative interior trim.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring

Where did you source the pedals from?

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All