E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by jcolley
Very nice Evan. What's your take on the MS-8?
I have not finalized the stereo installation (and I am actually having some issues with the MS-8 setup) but I ran an MS-8 in my old M5 and it was a pretty powerful tool. In my last setup I had a set of 6.5" DLS components powered by an Alpine PDX 4.150 amp, no rear stage and 2 Image Dynamics IDQ 12s powered by an Alpine PDX 1.1000, MS-8 was solely for processing and it did a fantastic job.

I am an audio enthusiast but far from an audiophile, the rabbit goes DEEP and EXPENSIVE for home, mobile, and personal audio and my interest merely scratches the surface. That being said the MS-8 had a profound impact on my previous system the imaging (I think that is the correct term) was great you were surrounded by the sound and the vocals seemed like they came from just below the rear view mirror, so distinct it was almost like you could touch it them. Turning off the processing abilities of the MS-8 instantly made the system sound harsh and the music was noticeably coming from the speakers as opposed to active MS-8 processing where the sound seemed to come from mid air, crazy stuff.

The MS-8 gets mixed reviews in the mobile audio world but those who criticize it often have had a reliability issue (myself included) or argue that another manual eq/processor can produce better results but my take on it is: for how easy the MS-8 is to setup and for the quality of sound it produces (even with mediocre speakers and power) is phenomenal.

There is an 8 year old, 445 page thread on DIYMA if anyone wants to jump down that rabbit hole!
JBL's MS-8 processor! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

I will update my thoughts once I have my E61 system up and running. It will be interesting how the end results differ from E39 to E61 aside from hardware limitations.

Evan
Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

Awesome stuff. I contemplate the MS-8 when I did the install in my old M3, but ended up ripping out everything and going in a different direction. HLCDs and Image Dynamics with the goal of simplifying the system and reducing the number of drivers.

Looking forward to the review on this from the E61 perspective. My M5 has L7 and a parts car I just bought had the full Individual audio system. As much as I want to swap it into my car, I still need to sell it.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Kbc
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Default ready to upgrade my e61...any idea where to get this done in Seattle?

luv what you've done to your E61.

the wastegates on mine are shot and BMW wont replace them (no CEL). while i'm doing that i might as well upgrade the car to look/perform the way i want it to.

does anybody have a recommendation for a shop in seattle that is capable of these upgrades? i'd luv to DIY but that's not an option unfortunately.

- wastegate turbo fix/upgrade
- OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders (Vents Deleted), OEM M5 Skirts, OEM M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear Bumper
- OEM M5 Brakes, KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces Forgestar F14 SDC 19x9.5 19x11, Hankook V12

a recommendation on where to buy these parts would be great also. thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kbc

the wastegates on mine are shot and BMW wont replace them (no CEL). while i'm doing that i might as well upgrade the car to look/perform the way i want it to.

does anybody have a recommendation for a shop in seattle that is capable of these upgrades? i'd luv to DIY but that's not an option unfortunately.

- OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders (Vents Deleted), OEM M5 Skirts, OEM M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear Bumper
- OEM M5 Brakes, KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces Forgestar F14 SDC 19x9.5 19x11, Hankook V12

Thanks for the kind words and I am flattered my wagon is such an inspiration to you.

May I suggest posting your questions in a regional forum/thread, you are much more likely to get helpful information there as opposed to my build thread. There are some other BMW forums which have active regional forums like E46fanatics, M5board, and Bimmerpost.

I am not sure how experienced you are modifying cars but some of the mods I did required a lot of calculating and massaging to work, they are not as bolt-on as they seem so if you plan to build a replica of my wagon, which I assume you are since you copied and pasted a portion of my mod list, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Searching the forums is a great way to collect information and I would strongly suggest spending some time doing that before asking rather general questions.

Lastly, modifying cars is fun an rewarding as the vehicle ends up being a reflection of the person who built it and their interpretation of an ideal ride, whether it be fast, low, functional, flashy, subtle, stanced, unique, whatever. It is your car and you can take it any direction you want, if it ends up being a clone of my wagon, at least it will look good!

Evan
Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by Kbc

There is Extended warranty by BMW on the turbos which specifically addresses wastegate rattle even, you're aware that? Pretty sure I've posted PDF's of the bulletin, if you search around here, if not, just do a Google search, and you should find them at least on E90post.com, which is where the N54 3 series guys hang out mainly.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

In lemming-like fashion I went with the Earthquake SWS8xi subs, here pictured with the appropriate spacers and some poly fill.
Nice work as always!

For my 335, which has the same setup with the two subwoofers Under the front seats, I was also going to replace them with the SWS subs, like everyone does. But I can't figure out if I should get the SWS8x or the xi's, like you did. I recall something vaguely about different impedances for each one. I've got the Logic 7 system in that car, if it makes a difference, and would be just upgrading these subs, plus adding an amp in the trunk, and buying the harness from Mr. Technic, like you.
PS On the topic of amps, any recommendations for anything small that would fit the bill for me? The one thing I'm hoping to have with the amp is the ability to remotely control the bass / gain with a knob up front, which I used to be able to do with an Infiniti Basslink I had in my Audi Aa4 years ago...

Probably not the ideal setup I'm guessing, but I figured it's easier when you just want to adjust the bass up and down quickly for different songs, father than going into the equalizer or adjusting the Bass level thru the radio controls.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Lotus,

The 8x is 4ohm and 8xi is 2 ohm. I am not very familiar with the the L7 system but I do know it puts out much more power than my HiFi system. It may good to confirm it's power output, in particular to the subs but it would probably be best to run an aftermarket amp.

My only amp experience is with some Alpine PDX, I ran ran them in my M5 and enjoyed them a lot. Technology is progressing quickly and for the audio enthusiast, many of the new digital ohm stable amps are a great option; smaller footprint, less heat, easy connectivity. My current sub amp, the JBL MS-A5001 has not been put through it's paces yet so I can't confirm it's performance but I am optimistic after reading reviews. The price is fair and as a bonus JBL sells an optional wireless bass knob.

Evan
Old 06-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

I was a little frustrated with my inability to control the 6AT so I decided to retrofit a SMG steering wheel. Motiv Mods supplied the wiring harness and I sourced a wheel from a 2010 M6 with only 30k.

The wheel was a bit of a gamble as it was from a low mileage car but showed signs or neglect as the wheel presumably sat for a bit exposed in a wrecking yard. I rolled the dice and purchased the wheel hoping it could add some new life to the wheel. The wheel cleaned up nicely but there are a few scuffs and dents which surprisingly don't bother me when I drive; I don't feel them and seldom notice the visual flaws, they are more apparent in photos than real life IMO.

The paddle retrofit really makes the transmission bearable and it is always a pleasure to hold a M-steering wheel, I love their oval wheel shape, thumb rests, tri-colored stitching, and soft leather. Both of my previous "normal" and "sport" wheels feel crude in comparison. I know this may be due to the fact that they are heated but the difference is so substantial that I am happy to sacrificing the heat for the refined M-wheel.

Evan

M6 wheel when I received it.

Original condition

Old wheel vs new

Before

After

Love me some Tri-color stitching...

Installed

SMG paddles illuminate.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Lotus,

The 8x is 4ohm and 8xi is 2 ohm. I am not very familiar with the the L7 system but I do know it puts out much more power than my HiFi system. It may good to confirm it's power output, in particular to the subs but it would probably be best to run an aftermarket amp.

My only amp experience is with some Alpine PDX, I ran ran them in my M5 and enjoyed them a lot. Technology is progressing quickly and for the audio enthusiast, many of the new digital ohm stable amps are a great option; smaller footprint, less heat, easy connectivity. My current sub amp, the JBL MS-A5001 has not been put through it's paces yet so I can't confirm it's performance but I am optimistic after reading reviews. The price is fair and as a bonus JBL sells an optional wireless bass knob.

Evan
Thanks for the tip on the JBL sub. I will ask Mr. Technic when I get his harness which sub to get, I'm sure he will know.

For your new wheel, The rubber coating around the buttons looks like it's in pretty good shape, But if it ever wears off, consider wrapping that section Like I did. I posted my experience here somewhere. Funny, I toyed with putting paddles on the steering wheel a few months ago, and I think I even PM'd you about it. Glad to see you've pulled it off now!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks for the tip on the JBL sub. I will ask Mr. Technic when I get his harness which sub to get, I'm sure he will know.

For your new wheel, The rubber coating around the buttons looks like it's in pretty good shape, But if it ever wears off, consider wrapping that section Like I did. I posted my experience here somewhere. Funny, I toyed with putting paddles on the steering wheel a few months ago, and I think I even PM'd you about it. Glad to see you've pulled it off now!
I transferred the buttons from my previous heated sport wheel, which were also used but in excellent shape as you stated. I am pretty conscious about keeping things in optimal condition so I hope it doesn't get the the point where I need to repair or cover the trim. I just wrapped my trim with some fresh vinyl and I have plenty left over if I ever want to go that route.

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All