E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 automatic rear tailgate install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Hey Cinder, thanks for the extra info. I'll check out that area of the car, I think I know what you're referring to, and had guessed that the only way to get more wires into the cabin must be thru one of those metal curved things, just didn't know if there was any more room besides the wires already there. Thanks for clarifying there should be a little more room at least. Hopefully the shop I go to will know how to pry them open, etc.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

Please upload photos of all mechanism of automatic tailgate in your car. I get all parts and need to do hard work.Just never seen these parts in live car.

Who has E61 with automatic lid open please make HQ photos. How the hydraulic pump stays, its screws and etc.

THANK YOU

Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Hey Cinder, thanks for the extra info. I'll check out that area of the car, I think I know what you're referring to, and had guessed that the only way to get more wires into the cabin must be thru one of those metal curved things, just didn't know if there was any more room besides the wires already there. Thanks for clarifying there should be a little more room at least. Hopefully the shop I go to will know how to pry them open, etc.
I think the INSIDE key for CLOSING the lid can be in another place.You can install it not in the opening part-so you need less work to do and dont need to install these wires problem place

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
New Members

hello

manual electrical installation / photo involvement

thank you
gamers@post.cz
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Members

Someone can help me some photos needed about install electric tailgate.

Who have real electric tailgate.Please contact me via pm.

After work I make "electric tailgate instalation LOG"

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

Finally installed my automatic tailgate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWYTeDy2Vc
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 2010 E61N 520d

I know it's reviving an old thread but do you have a list of all part numbers and possibly a guide on how to do it?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Members

After almost 2 years normaly working auto tailgate I now have a big problems :

1.When it opens you cannot close it with button: it is inactive ??Then I manualy pushed a bit down and button operates and close down ok
2.Sometimes when it opens to 100% sudenly it begins to close automaticaly !!!! you need to pull out the head not to get injuried !!!
3.Sometimes it opens 100% and when you press CLOSE it goes down only 20% and stops and button not operates anymore...
4.When I press control button long to close it moves about 20% and stops...I need to close it manualy by hand...

Today evening I noticed that when tailgate moving down the rear led strips began to flicker !!! and when I press OPEN trunk button the flickering disapears !!! So I think hinge wires the touring famous trable comes there to me
Exactly OPEN button short to rear led lights,,,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! famous problem
Yes HINGE 4 cables was damaged !!!!!

Last edited by bmwspeed; 07-04-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Repaired !
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xi

I just got through removing the power tailgate which came standard on my North America E61 and ordered the gas struts and alternate left hinge cover from Germany after I was quoted $2500 in labor and another $1000 in parts to fix the system. The gas struts are such much more reliable and FASTER than the hydraulic system, I am at a loss as to why anyone would want to do this mod other than to show off. Since one will be standing next to the rear tailgate any time one wants it open anyway, I see no practical reason to put this complicated, slow system in. I am relieved to have removed an issue which has bothered me about the vehicle from day 1.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Good for you, but seriously? You see no practical reason for having a power tailgate? You realize you can push the button to also close it? Not counting the obvious reason which is it's already open as you walk up to it.

Might as well pass that on to all the car manufacturers so they can stop putting in the option, since it's clearly a waste of time. LOL.

Quick Reply: E61 automatic rear tailgate install