E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 automatic rear tailgate install

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to install E61 automatic rear hatch (lid). I read some bmw materials and my info share there.Any info welcome:

it is option SA316:

System components:

1.Hall sensor(angle sensor)

2.Hydraulic cylinder

3.Hydraulic lines

4.Hydraulic unit

5. HKL module

6.Rear hatch button

Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Members

The pictures of hydraulic system and HKL module above spare wheel.
Attached Thumbnails E61 automatic rear tailgate install-p1110002-copy-.jpg   E61 automatic rear tailgate install-p1110003-copy-.jpg   E61 automatic rear tailgate install-p1110001-copy-.jpg   E61 automatic rear tailgate install-p1110005-copy-.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

I'm planning on doing this aswell, just waiting for the right parts to show up on eBay.

I've made a list with all you need included part numbers, but I am on my iPad, so I don't have it here.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Great mod. Mines has it factory-installed. Are you considering the auto-cover function as well? (auto-cover is that the cover not only will go up upon opening but also go down upon closing) ?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM
New Members

Mine is currently failing. Leaking hydraulic fluid from the end of the cylinder. Just got a quote of $1800.00 to R&R the parts 1-3 above (lines do not remove from the cylinder).
Part number is 51247163662 ($1000). They have a rebuild kit part number 51247163663 which is described as various seals and oil (no picture) but are telling me that it is only for the hydraulic pump and that the seals on the cylinder cannot be replaced. Has anybody ever had their cylinder rebuilt?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwspeed
I want to install E61 automatic rear hatch (lid). I read some bmw materials and my info share there.Any info welcome:

it is option SA316:

System components:

1.Hall sensor(angle sensor)

2.Hydraulic cylinder

3.Hydraulic lines

4.Hydraulic unit

5. HKL module

6.Rear hatch button

If you can find them the parts are:
the Hydraulic Pump (4)
the Hydraulic Cylinder (2) which includes the Angle Sensor and the Hydraulic Lines. The Hydraulic Lines are screwed on the Cylinder and are not detachable.
Which would explain the High costs for the replacement. Because you have to take alot apart to replace the Cylinder (roof, etc.)

I did this mod two months ago.
Let me tell you, ALOT of work. Alone you will need at least 2 days.
The most work is taking the car apart in the back and making your own wiring loom.

The costs are also to consider, while getting the pump etc. off ebay you still need the right plugs, pins, etc. And that alone is expensive getting it from the dealer.
Also the HKl Module which controls everything is hard to get used.

The good news is you only have to take the car apart in the back.
Tha bad, you have to wire into the hatch for the switch. and thats really annoying.

You can use the plastic cover of your hatch, you dont need to buy one with the hole for the switch, you can cut the out yourself and save some money.

Apart from that, its a cool feature

Also think while having the car taken apart, what you also can do.
I also did the Back up Camera, because i had to wire into the hatch anyway.
And the complete wiring for the individual sound system.

Btw. if you dont have a Logic 7 or Individual Amp, then you fasten the Hydro Pump without taking apart the left side of the boot.
If you have it you would have to do it, because the amp is infront of a screw.

So if you have any questions...
I also did some Pictures. maybe i upload them later.

cheers
Chris
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by Cinders0

cheers
Chris
Cinder, I'm going to have a shop install a backup camera into the hatch as well (it replaces the hatch door handle with a camera/handle combo), and run the wire into the back of the NAV unit to display it there. Was curious, how do you run a wire into the cabin? There are only two contact points between the hatch and the car, being the two hydraulic arms that I'm guessing within them hold a ribbon type wiring loom, so there'd be very little space in there, if any, for more wires?

Pics for that part would be awesome!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

Thank you for this post. What about coding? Was it enough to add 316 in the VO?

Do you have any tips when it comes to getting the parts? I've been on eBay (mostly ebay.de) almost every day for a while now, but I've only seen the cylinder and the module once, and never the pump or any other parts.

Pics would be nice.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Cinder, I'm going to have a shop install a backup camera into the hatch as well (it replaces the hatch door handle with a camera/handle combo), and run the wire into the back of the NAV unit to display it there. Was curious, how do you run a wire into the cabin? There are only two contact points between the hatch and the car, being the two hydraulic arms that I'm guessing within them hold a ribbon type wiring loom, so there'd be very little space in there, if any, for more wires?

Pics for that part would be awesome!

Hi, difficult to explain.

You need to open the upper part of the Boot and then take away all the plastic on top.
On the right side you see the cables going into the car (thats waht you see on the pic).
They run through a curved metal thingy (there are 2 of those beside each other).
BMW say that you need to replace that if you pry it open to put more wires into it, I didnt know that and just opend it and pressed it back together.

that how you go from the hatch to the car. The Cable comes out where the speaker in the roof is. Just take the right speaker out.

i hope this was helpfull.

greetings
C
Attached Thumbnails E61 automatic rear tailgate install-dscn4616.jpg  
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cinders0
If you can find them the parts are:
the Hydraulic Pump (4)
the Hydraulic Cylinder (2) which includes the Angle Sensor and the Hydraulic Lines. The Hydraulic Lines are screwed on the Cylinder and are not detachable.
Which would explain the High costs for the replacement. Because you have to take alot apart to replace the Cylinder (roof, etc.)

I did this mod two months ago.
Let me tell you, ALOT of work. Alone you will need at least 2 days.
The most work is taking the car apart in the back and making your own wiring loom.

The costs are also to consider, while getting the pump etc. off ebay you still need the right plugs, pins, etc. And that alone is expensive getting it from the dealer.
Also the HKl Module which controls everything is hard to get used.

The good news is you only have to take the car apart in the back.
Tha bad, you have to wire into the hatch for the switch. and thats really annoying.

You can use the plastic cover of your hatch, you dont need to buy one with the hole for the switch, you can cut the out yourself and save some money.

Apart from that, its a cool feature

Also think while having the car taken apart, what you also can do.
And the complete wiring for the individual sound system.

Btw. if you dont have a Logic 7 or Individual Amp, then you fasten the Hydro Pump without taking apart the left side of the boot.
If you have it you would have to do it, because the amp is infront of a screw.

So if you have any questions...

cheers
Chris
Thank you for the good answer to my post.I waiting the used car for dissasemble all parts needed because to buy wires ant all modules from different sources is almost impossible.

Do you have schematic diagrams if you dont have original wires?

And maybe if i dont need switch I can not install them ? and control all from remote key ?

Do that need coding too (HKI module) ? and do you see OPENING ANGLE menu in CCC ?

B.R.

Quick Reply: E61 automatic rear tailgate install