E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Does the back 1/3 of the Panoramic sunroof move?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Was curious if it tilts up at all, or moves back? I don't think so, as I can't find a way, and when I press on it, the seal seems permanent, but I thought I'd ask as I saw Jwest say in another post that this car has a "split sunroof".

Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Members

It does tilt but does not open fully.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

Hmmm. I just have to tilt open the sunroof the normal way to get that to happen? I've looked up before and hadn't seen both open... Or is there another trick?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

Just need to do the normal tilt and both panels will tilt. Harder to see from inside car
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Members

Thanks. I did it tonight, and looked from outside, and both tilt. Though it literally seems to go up like half an inch! What's the point? Can any fresh air really come in with that little of an opening? Most cars before this my sunroof tilted up a couple of inches I'm pretty sure.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks. I did it tonight, and looked from outside, and both tilt. Though it literally seems to go up like half an inch! What's the point? Can any fresh air really come in with that little of an opening? Most cars before this my sunroof tilted up a couple of inches I'm pretty sure.
It's an exhaust vent, not a fresh air intake. With sun panel closed, then pressing up on the "vent" button, they both lift up, and it's more than 1/2", it's actually a gap just enough to get your finger and a rag in to clean it. When the sun panel is closed, and you hit vent, obviously the sun panel shifts open about 2" in the middle at it's split. I LOVE this feature because you get great exhaust venting without hardly any roof noise. It's also nice for letting the car vent naturally when closed up during a hot day.

I don't think our Audi really brings "in" much air when it's vented up either, even though it lifts higher than that rear section. The only way you get air coming "in" is opening the glass fully back.

With the vent applied, your air from outside that comes in your dash vents comes more free flowing. Although it is odd that our bmw cars require the fan to be turned "on". Other vehicles I have simply allow the force of the car moving to feed fresh air in through the vents, no fan required. when you don't want this to happen, you just turn the "econ" button off to seal the vent system.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
It's an exhaust vent, not a fresh air intake. With sun panel closed, then pressing up on the "vent" button, they both lift up, and it's more than 1/2", it's actually a gap just enough to get your finger and a rag in to clean it. When the sun panel is closed, and you hit vent, obviously the sun panel shifts open about 2" in the middle at it's split. I LOVE this feature because you get great exhaust venting without hardly any roof noise. It's also nice for letting the car vent naturally when closed up during a hot day.

I don't think our Audi really brings "in" much air when it's vented up either, even though it lifts higher than that rear section. The only way you get air coming "in" is opening the glass fully back.

With the vent applied, your air from outside that comes in your dash vents comes more free flowing. Although it is odd that our bmw cars require the fan to be turned "on". Other vehicles I have simply allow the force of the car moving to feed fresh air in through the vents, no fan required. when you don't want this to happen, you just turn the "econ" button off to seal the vent system.
Agree with all that, and also annoyed by the operating logic of the AC system.

Particularly and especially annoyed that it doesn't seem possible to get pure fresh air from outside through the vents. With all adjusted properly in the iDrive, in my car at least, the "fresh" air still gets considerably warmed up by engine warmth, even during longer journeys at higher speed and ambient temp of around 16-18 deg. celsius.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the explanation J, makes sense now!