E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

This battery discharge is driving me mad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More of the same unfortunately...

Anyone have any insight on the following.

My '06 530xiT has recently started going haywire. First the IBS cable supposedly (code wise) was acting up and the battery (4yo) was not charging, apparently a dead cell. So...Over the weekend...fresh battery (Interstate H9) and a new IBS cable/lead. Car still losing 1-1.5v overnight.

Also, after battery/IBS swap I find the 40A hatch fuse blown and hatch not opening (will open manually). I replace the fuse...no dice...no hatch.

Today...park the car for 1 hr...come out...key fob will not open car...open driver's door with key...car starts on second hit of the start button...ZERO instrument, dash i-drive lights, stereo, int. lights, etc. ad nauseum...BUT...car drives "normally" around the block 10-12 times. Cannot open the other doors or hatch.

Was about to check the tailgate module before the latest incident with...central locking perhaps?

Are both modules in the rear spare tire well? Unfortunate signs of moisture in the area!

Suggestions before I drive/trailer/tow it to the dealer...???

Oh yeah...just went outside...Start button is illuminated!

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Members

Followup...

So this morning the car unlocked as normal. I drove my son to school and then cleared the faults with an Autologic. All the faults were K-CAN line fault related.

Next I took apart the spare tire area...and...sure enough, the spare wheel well foam tray was wet/frozen. There are two modules and three relays there. One module seems dry (air suspension control) and one module was wet/corroded...surprise, surprise this is the hatch control.

I don't know how any of this ties into the K-CAN errors and the central module getting confused but hopefully this will solve the issue once rectified.

Now I need to figure out where the water came from...Rear fixed window seal? Sunroof drain?? It appears to come from the right side, behind and above the fuse panel...???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis
Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

Originally Posted by buldogge
Now I need to figure out where the water came from...Rear fixed window seal? Sunroof drain?? It appears to come from the right side, behind and above the fuse panel...???
have you removed the SureClog valves from the rear drainage tubes? search "SureClog" in this forum
Old 12-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Members

I have not...but I will have a looksee tomorrow...thanx for the heads up!

-Mark

Originally Posted by yeewiz
have you removed the SureClog valves from the rear drainage tubes? search "SureClog" in this forum
Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Members

I forgot to mention...that after a day of trouble free driving (without the hatch control module plugged in), in the late afternoon I started getting ride control error messages... Unfortunately, that module is $410!

-Mark