E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 PM
J_K
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring

I'm losing the will to live.
I've read so much on coding with ncs expert and flashing with winkfp but none of it is going in.

I've done the full hardware install including wheel with paddles.

I want to get the paddles working first off. So in NCSexpert, do I delete $205 and create $2TB (because it's not in the list to add).
Then code that into the CAS and LMA to get them working?
Do I have to do anything to the KOMBI to get the dash displaying correctly or will it read the CAS and work it out?

Then latter on I can flash the EGS with the $2TB software to get the rev matching etc??

Is there anybody in the UK who is willing to fb chat or ring me and talk me through it??

I'm soooo confused
Old 04-12-2015, 11:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 LCI 530i

NCS will not code a module unless it's in the VO so, I would add $205 to the VO (CAS & LMA) which should allow you to code the paddles.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535D lci E61

hello,
i have 535D lci with everything from this thread, 2tb, paddles, modified software in EGS but only one difference is when i push sport its the same as when i put selector in S its the same. i have active steering, dont have dynamic drive, but steering is the same when i push sport, same gear changing times, no re vmatching (diesel)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 AM
New Members

Here is a summary of the more informative posts here
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 04-13-2015, 03:54 AM
J_K
New Members

Originally Posted by Know-Dice
NCS will not code a module unless it's in the VO so, I would add $205 to the VO (CAS & LMA) which should allow you to code the paddles.
Do you mean add $2TB??
Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 AM
New Members

Yes - probably...
Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J_K
I'm losing the will to live.
I've read so much on coding with ncs expert and flashing with winkfp but none of it is going in.

I've done the full hardware install including wheel with paddles.

I want to get the paddles working first off. So in NCSexpert, do I delete $205 and create $2TB (because it's not in the list to add).
Then code that into the CAS and LMA to get them working?
Do I have to do anything to the KOMBI to get the dash displaying correctly or will it read the CAS and work it out?

Then latter on I can flash the EGS with the $2TB software to get the rev matching etc??

Is there anybody in the UK who is willing to fb chat or ring me and talk me through it??

I'm soooo confused

I will do my best to help out. This was my successful process for retrofitting the SAT hardware, flashing the SAT firmware and coding the $2TB options to the appropriate modules.

This assumes you have fully functioning NCS Expert and WinKFP with known good complete Daten files for the E60 chassis.

Step 1: Retrofit SAT hardware to car.

Step 2: Flash SAT to EGS using WinKFP.

-Load Winkpf software

-Press (F1) comfort mode

-Press (F3) Update ZUSB

-Choose ECU: GKE215<-- This may not be your ECU. Double check before proceeding.

-Press (F2) Choose ZUSB

-Choose ECU GKE215 and next to it there will be ZB-Numbers..Find 7601458 <-- Be sure this is the correct ZB number for your car!!! This particular one is known to work on LCI 535i and 535i XDrive cars.

-Click ok

-If you have done it correctly so far you will see at the top Assembly Identification number 7601458<-- Again this may be different for your particular car.

-Press (F4) Enter VIN (make sure you double check you have entered the correct VIN numbers).

-click ok

-Press DONE (F8)

-Press (F3) Program

-Pop up window will say you can code the ECU 63 more times, click ok

-Flashing begins and you will have to wait until it reaches 100% twice. The first bar will finish rather quickly and then the next one will take 3-4 minutes.

-If everything is done correctly, then you will get a pop up screen saying programming done, click ok

At this point you will have firmer and quicker shifts that hold longer into the rev range when you engage the "Sport" button. When you move the lever over into sport/manual mode you will see S1, S2, S3 etc. In manual mode with "Sport" engaged you will have much quicker upshifts and downshifts with the better rev-matching. You will still have a rock hard steering wheel with "Sport" engaged.
You will not have "SPORT" displayed in the KOMBI and you will have a string of errors if you look in INPA relating to coding mismatch. These errors do not show up on the dash or in iDrive.

Last edited by biz77; 04-13-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:10 PM
New Members

Please excuse the multiple posts. The forum is limiting me to 20,000 characters. The first draft was 107,000.

Step 3: Remove $205 and add $2TB to VO in both CAS and LMA modules.

1. In NCS Expert, load the Expertmode or Expertenmodus (OFFEN) profile.

2. Press F1 or the VIN/ZCS/FA button.

3. Press F3 or the ZCS/FA f. ECU button.

4. In the Choose CHASSIS pop-up window, choose the E60 chassis and press the OK button.

5. In the Choose ECU pop-up window, choose the CAS ECU and press the OK button.

6. The model (CHASSIS), VIN number (FG), and VO (FA) should be displayed in NCS Expert.

7. Press F2 or the Enter FA button to modify the VO.

8. In the Choose CHASSIS pop-up window, choose the E60 chassis and press the OK button.

9. In the Enter VIN pop-up window, verify that the Vin listed is the correct VIN number for the vehicle. The last digit attached to the VIN number is a checksum. You should not have to change anything on this step. Just verify and press the OK button.

10. In the Enter FA pop-up screen, for the Attribute text field, input the SA or Service Code. After typing in the code, press the Add button, and verify that the code was listed in the list of FA codes. After verifying, press the OK button.

Type $2TB and press “Add”

Select $205 and hit Delete button on computer keyboard.

Press “OK” button

• Press F6 or the Back button.
  • Press F4 or Process ECU button.
  • For the Choose ECU pop-up window, select CAS and press the OK button.
  • Press F2 or the Change job button.
  • From the Choose job pop-up window, select FA_WRITE and press the OK button.
  • Under “get coded:”, verify that CAS is the ECU selected to get coded. Also verify the JOBNAME is equal to FA_WRITE, and then press F3 or the Execute job button.
  • After the job has ended, we need to also write the new VO to the LMA ECU so that it will be both wrote to the CAS and LMA ECU. Press F1 or Change ECU button.
  • From the Choose ECU pop-up window, choose the LMA ECU and press the OK button.
  • Under “get coded:”, verify that LMA is the ECU selected to get coded. Also verify the JOBNAME is equal to FA_WRITE, and then press F3 or the Execute job button.
  • After the coding has ended, you can exit out of NCS Expert.
    This will take care of some of the coding mismatch errors that pop up in INPA, but I noticed no difference in behavior of the transmission, steering or KOMBI after performing the above. After this step you still do not get "SPORT" displayed in the KOMBI.

The following users liked this post:
Arbuz (01-21-2022)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
New Members

Step 4: Adding "Sport" to KOMBI.
Open NCS Expert
Load Expertenmodus (OFFEN) profile - expertmode profile gives me an error as do many of the other profiles listed. I've been successful using expertenmodus (OFFEN) for everything else.
F1
F3
Select E60 Chassis
Select CAS module
F2 Enter FA
Select E60
Don't change anything in the FA, just click OK
F6 Back
F4 process ECU - Choose KOMBI
F2 Change Job
Select SG_Codieren
F3 Execute Job

After this is done, you will now have "SPORT" displayed in the KOMBI when you press the Sport button. No other changes noted.

To change the weight of the steering wheel, you can alter the following in the KGM module via NCS Expert:
GESCHWIN_WERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_01
STROMWERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_01

The comfort mode settings are wert_09. The lower the number, the heavier the steering.

So I tried the above to get the steering to not feel like there was zero power-assist. I plugged in a "5" to start with on both settings. When I drove the car I noticed very odd behavior. The steering wheel had a very uneven feel. Right turns felt lighter than left turns and the more I turned the wheel, the lighter the steering got. I decided to go back in and double check the settings. What I found was multiple entries under both settings. Something along the lines of:
GESCHWIN_WERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_04
wert_09
wert_12
STROMWERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_0

wert_09
wert_12

I decided to go ahead and write the $2TB to the KGM module to see if I could alleviate this issue. Follow the steps above for writing $2TB to the KOMBI. This time instead of choosing the KOMBI module, you will chose the KGM module.
Open NCS Expert
Load Expertenmodus (OFFEN) profile - expertmode profile gives me an error as do many of the other profiles listed. I've been successful using expertenmodus (OFFEN) for everything else.
F1
F3
Select E60 Chassis
Select CAS module
F2 Enter FA
Select E60
F6 Back
F4 process ECU - Choose KGM
F2 Change Job
Select SG_Codieren
F3 Execute Job

This resulted in a default setting of
GESCHWIN_WERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_07
STROMWERTE_SPORT_KGM wert_07

I have decided to leave it at that.

My last step was to code the EGS module to $2TB.
Open NCS Expert
F1
F3
Select E60 Chassis
Select CAS module
F2 Enter FA
Select E60
F6 Back
F4 process ECU - Choose EGS
F2 Change Job
Select SG_Codieren
F3 Execute Job

The last step is to make sure the EGS module is set correctly for paddles. If you have paddles, you want the following setting:
PADDLES=wert_01
If you do not have paddles on the steering wheel, you need to set it to:
PADDLES=wert_00

For basic coding and setting a few options I mentioned above such as turning paddles on/off or changing the steering weight in the KGM module, follow these steps. Again, this assumes you have NCS Expert setup and functioning properly. This also assumes you are using the BMW Coding Tool V2.50. If you do not have it, do yourself a favor and get it (it's free and can be downloaded from multiple sites.) It makes updating the Daten almost foolproof and removes many of the daunting steps required when working with NCS Expert.

1. Open Coding Tool
2. Open NCSExpert
3. FileàLoad Profile – load Expertmodus (Offen) profile
4. Click “OK”
5. Click F1: “VIN/ZCS/FA”
6. Click F3: “ZCS/FA | ECU”
7. Select chassis (E60)
8. Click “OK”
9. Choose ECU – select “CAS”
10. Click “OK”
11. You should now have VIN and FA appearing. FA is VO code.
12. Select F6 “BACK”
13. Select F4 “Process ECU”
14. Select module to process from the pop-up
15. Click “OK”
16. Select F4 “Read ECU”
17. Window will pop up with .TRC file. Close it.
18. Go back to coding tool and select “Load TRC-File”
19. You should get a list of all settings available in the module.
20. Use “search” button to find parameter. Click “Search next” until you find the parameter you are looking for.
21. Select parameter value, for example “nicht_aktiv”
22. Pop up box will appear to alter the value. There may be a tick box for a “quick change” from “nicht_aktiv” to “aktiv” for example. In some cases you may have to input the data, “wert_04” for example.
23. Once value is changed, click “OK”
24. Click “Save MAN-File”
25. Click “YES” on pop-up
26. Click “SAVE” on pop-up
27. Click “YES” on pop-up: “Do you want to backup the MAN-File?”
28. Click “SAVE” on popup.
29. Go back to NCSExpert and click F2 “Change Job”
30. Select “SG-Codieren”
31. Click “OK”
32. Click F3 “Execute job”
33. Close coding tool
34. Click “Yes” on popup: “Do you want to empty the MAN-File?”
35. Done!
Huge thanks to all those that contributed to this thread before me, including leew and BMWRIDER2010 who helped me directly. I also owe thanks to www.codinge90.com and www.bmwcoding.com.
The following 2 users liked this post by biz77:
Arbuz (01-21-2022), pavjayt (05-21-2023)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM
J_K
New Members

Now that was a helpful post.
And totally what I was looking for. Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit