E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Techno question - Drivelogic button

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

('08 M5 SMG) The rocker selection button for the Drivelogic (center console, just behind the reverse/auto/manual gear selection lever), the button with the lighted indicators (1 thru 6), has recently stopped illuminating (however the indications on the center dash instrument cluster still gives the reading as to setting degree within the Drivelogic)

Anyone know if this would require a "big deal" fix, or perhaps simply a "button" replacement, or better yet just some bulb(s) replacement ? Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Members

Its really easy to get to. Put your gear selector in Neutral, and with all your might pull straight up. However, be careful not pull it right through the sunroof, as the wires that connect everything are not that long. Basically with some control and lots of strength pull straight up. The shifter knob and leather boot will be in your hand exposing some torx screws for you to remove, which will allow you to the rest of the shroud (housing all the buttons) to come free, at that point you can simply unplug the one that needs some attention.

Hope this helps

PS> I just did this on my M5 to remove all the aluminum trim, so I'm speaking from exp...with no issues...ie: I didn't break anything.

Good luck.

D
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Members

thanks for the reply.. when you say : "..Put your gear selector in Neutral, and with all your might pull straight up.." are you saying to pull up on the gear shift selector ?

you didn't happen to see that Drivelogic "button" connection while you had everything torn up, did ya ? I've got a call in to my SA to see if he can lend some light (pun not intended) to this "outage"
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Members

Yep...pull straight up on the knob ! once it pulls free there are wires still connected to it, so be careful. Once its free, the shroud that house all the buttons ( shift hardness selector ) you can have access to. As far as the drive-logic button this only has to come off if you're removing the trim piece. The drive-logic button pulls straight up as well, you don't have to use as much force as the shift knob also, there are no wires connected to it.

Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Members

thanks again -

on another line, I'm very disappointed with the fuse ID map that's located inside the trunk's tool kit - it appears as tho it's a generic 5 series so there's lots of fuse slots that don't pertain to the M5 (I'm guessing)

for another, the little icons are difficult to decipher so there's some fuses that I don't know "what they're for" - I'm down to probably pulling and checking every fuse in the 2 boxes, damn it !

didn't have this "problem" on the E31 - everything there is black and white