E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Please help answer some M5 questions for a potential UK purchaser

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 05:54 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

I'm getting more and more interested in purchasing an M5 as the prices of used examples seems to tumble closer to my reach everyday.

I've read hundreds of posts about this that and the other, and have also owned BMWs ( 3 * E39, 1 * E46 + current E60 ) but still have questions which I'm hoping you experienced M5 owners/experts can help me out with.

1) What would the Standard Equipment be on an early ( 2005 ) M5 ( I've attached a PDF but not sure if thats for the newer M5)
2) What changed in the standard equipment late 2005 ?
3) Was there a "facelift" late 2005 and if so what where there changes ?

That was all really.

I'm sure I'm remember more as soon as I've posted this.

Thanks

Si
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
m5_m6_datasheet.pdf (144.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='659841' date='Sep 2 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm getting more and more interested in purchasing an M5 as the prices of used examples seems to tumble closer to my reach everyday.

I've read hundreds of posts about this that and the other, and have also owned BMWs ( 3 * E39, 1 * E46 + current E60 ) but still have questions which I'm hoping you experienced M5 owners/experts can help me out with.

1) What would the Standard Equipment be on an early ( 2005 ) M5 ( I've attached a PDF but not sure if thats for the newer M5)
2) What changed in the standard equipment late 2005 ?
3) Was there a "facelift" late 2005 and if so what where there changes ?

That was all really.

I'm sure I'm remember more as soon as I've posted this.

Thanks

Si
hi ..
standard equip in the UK is pretty high on the M5's. there's not a lot of boxes left to tick to be honest. so any used example should be pretty highly spec'ed. nav pro, pdc, sports everything, HUD.
i dont believe there was a facelift in 2005. possibly they added the start/stop in that year. the LCI came out mid 2007. main changes then were options list. also changed the rear light cluster.
something that's never been standard was the active seat bulsters. big pricey option. i don't have it, and quite frankly, dont miss it. the seats adjust in so tight anyway, that i just don't see the need for it. sure it's a nice feature if you were to find one with it, but not necessary imho.
i bgt mine "nearly" new. i.e, it was on dealer forecourt and only 3 weeks old. the guy who bgt it was on the waiting list for a 997tt so bought the M5 for the wait. couple weeks into M ownership he got the call from Porsche that he could be delivered due to cancellation. so took it back to dealer. he paid ?73k for it. 3 weeks later, I paid ?60k. it had only 1200 miles on it, and had just had it's initial service. perfect!
the main thing i looked for was a low miler. luckily, i found it.

where abouts in the UK are you?

good luck with your search.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:33 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Thanks for the info, so I guess what your saying is that the spec list I posted ( Sept 2006 dated ) would be the standard list of options you have on your car and in late 2005 the only change was the addition of the Stop/Start button.

Having owned a 535D Sport with HUD and loads of spec for 6 months I know what options I'm missing so wanted to check that all those boxes were ticked as standard or already added to the used example as options. Those missing from my car are mainly Logic 7 and memory seats so it appears my list of options should be

Logic 7
Sun Protection Glass ( is his privacy glass ? ?
Extended Voice ( Although I understand this is an easy retro fit )
Telephone - Bluetooth Telephone Preparation with telematics ability
Full Leather

Nice to have
Active Seat Ventilation
M Multifunction seats is that what your are refering too as active side supports ?
Comfort Access - What exactly is this ?
TV

Does that sound about right ?

I'm in MK btw

Si
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:35 AM
Members

oops, I posted the wrong PDF

This is the UK M5 spec as at Sept 2006....this isn't LCI right ?

Si
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW_MM5_LI_M5.pdf (111.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='659891' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info, so I guess what your saying is that the spec list I posted ( Sept 2006 dated ) would be the standard list of options you have on your car and in late 2005 the only change was the addition of the Stop/Start button.

Having owned a 535D Sport with HUD and loads of spec for 6 months I know what options I'm missing so wanted to check that all those boxes were ticked as standard or already added to the used example as options. Those missing from my car are mainly Logic 7 and memory seats so it appears my list of options should be

Logic 7
Full Leather

Nice to have
Active Seat Ventilation
M Multifunction seats is that what your are refering too as active side supports ?
TV

I'm in MK btw

Si
that doesn't look like LCI options list no. one thing you can tell if it's LCI or not, is the addition of USB Audio interface (which is a must, but it's only on LCI).

Logic 7 >>> i don't have this one, but wish i had the individual audio (1 up from L7)
Sun Protection Glass ( is his privacy glass ? ?) >> believe so. I have this. tinted rear windows basically.
Extended Voice ( Although I understand this is an easy retro fit ) >>> i have this. works ok.
Telephone - Bluetooth Telephone Preparation with telematics ability >>> have this. works fantastically, even with my blackberry.
Full Leather >>> i dont have. take it or leave it for me.

Nice to have
Active Seat Ventilation >>> in the UK, not so important i think. heated seats are better (standard i believe)
M Multifunction seats is that what your are refering too as active side supports ? (yes that is what i was on about. you have my opinion on this one)
Comfort Access - What exactly is this ? >>> believe it is the keyless entry. heard lots of people get paranoid about this one. have issues walking away from the car. not important imho.
TV >>> something i wouldn't have minded having. but to be honest, when would you watch it exactly? Screens in the headrests for the kids/rear passengers better option.

be careful not to put too many "must haves". by all means, make sure you have what you HAVE to have. when you put your foot down, you'll forget all about one little option it may be missing.

if i were looking for a used, 2005 M5, my main focus would be mileage, colour, servicing, and condition of the interior .. nothing worse than warn seats.
what is your budget if you don't mind me asking? just a range maybe.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Not sure on the facelift differences, but if the price is falling into your range, I HIGHLY suggest getting one. You won't regret it. However, the one thing I will warn you against is... The gas situation. It's terrible. I've owned many, many cars in the past and I have never seen a car suck more gas, so quickly, in my entire life. Be prepared to be at the pump a lot...especially if you're coming from a diesel.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='659920' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:52 PM
Not sure on the facelift differences, but if the price is falling into your range, I HIGHLY suggest getting one. You won't regret it. However, the one thing I will warn you against is... The gas situation. It's terrible. I've owned many, many cars in the past and I have never seen a car suck more gas, so quickly, in my entire life. Be prepared to be at the pump a lot...especially if you're coming from a diesel.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it hurts. but try not let it get to you. will spoil your enjoyment. this car was NEVER gonna return pretty numbers. you can't expect a car of this weight, with 500+ ponies, to be kind to your pocket.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:57 AM
Members

No real fixed budget but I'd say I have about ?30k which gets me several on the AUC

Si
Old 09-02-2008 | 08:01 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by BigladUK' post='659891' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:33 PM

Logic 7
Full Leather

Nice to have
Active Seat Ventilation
TV

I'm in MK btw

Si
From the options you have shown I would personally only mark Logic 7 and Bluetooth as essential, although full leather, seat ventiliation and sun protection glass (it's not very dark, but hey you're in M-K not Biarritz!) may be important to your experience with the car. Comfort Access is nice (it lets you lock/unlock and start the car with the key in your pocket). The non-active M seats are IMO better than the active ones (active bolsters are distracting and your wife / other front seat passenger will hate the, count on it). TV is pointless - won't operate with the car on the move. Extended Voice in the E60 is a bit of a joke. I had it on my 535d and got sick of the limitations so avoided it when I ordered my M5. If your car comes with it, fine, but don't think you'll miss it if you get a car without it.

If you can get one with through-load, I find that much more useful than practically all the other options. Also I don't know if you'll be able to get one with an aux input for an MP3 player, but well worth it if you can.

Have you test-driven an M5 yet? It is very different to your 535.
Old 09-02-2008 | 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JMC' post='659939' date='Sep 2 2008, 05:01 PM
From the options you have shown I would personally only mark Logic 7 and Bluetooth as essential, although full leather, seat ventiliation and sun protection glass (it's not very dark, but hey you're in M-K not Biarritz!) may be important to your experience with the car. Comfort Access is nice (it lets you lock/unlock and start the car with the key in your pocket). The non-active M seats are IMO better than the active ones (active bolsters are distracting and your wife / other front seat passenger will hate the, count on it). TV is pointless - won't operate with the car on the move. Extended Voice in the E60 is a bit of a joke. I had it on my 535d and got sick of the limitations so avoided it when I ordered my M5. If your car comes with it, fine, but don't think you'll miss it if you get a car without it.

If you can get one with through-load, I find that much more useful than practically all the other options. Also I don't know if you'll be able to get one with an aux input for an MP3 player, but well worth it if you can.

Have you test-driven an M5 yet? It is very different to your 535.
Thanks for the info,

No I haven't driven one yet, I have my local dealer trying find me one to test drive so all this chat could be academic but hey it passes the time right.

So if I have it right were saying

Logic 7 or Individual
Bluetooth

Anything else is a bonus.

Thanks guys...thats put my mind at rest now

Si

Quick Reply: Please help answer some M5 questions for a potential UK purchaser