E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

My New M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='487603' date='Oct 29 2007, 07:47 PM
Just curious why you need winter tires in vancouver? For one if temperature is what you are worreid about all season tires have the correct rubber compounds for grip in the cold. Second for the amount of snow you see in vancouver you could EASILY get by with a/s tires. I lived in edmonton for 15 years and nobody I knew in that time had winter tires-a good set of all seasons was all anyone had and winters are far worse than vancouver.

Just makes no sense to have to throw an ugly set of huge winter tires on a beautiful car-550 or m5 when it is completely unncessary nor will insurance every nto cover all season tired car.

Great car though!

Edmonton is as flat as a pancake ,Vancouver is very hilly and we have mountains here. Another major reason is that the snow we do get is usually very wet due to mild temps, this compacts and becomes slick, it is very common to see performance cars running snowies here.
Cheers
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: E46 M3(Sold), E70 X5(Sold), E60 ///M5

GREAT CHOICE!!!
i just bought mine too =p same indy red too =p
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='487603' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:47 PM
Just curious why you need winter tires in vancouver? For one if temperature is what you are worreid about all season tires have the correct rubber compounds for grip in the cold. Second for the amount of snow you see in vancouver you could EASILY get by with a/s tires. I lived in edmonton for 15 years and nobody I knew in that time had winter tires-a good set of all seasons was all anyone had and winters are far worse than vancouver.

Just makes no sense to have to throw an ugly set of huge winter tires on a beautiful car-550 or m5 when it is completely unncessary nor will insurance every nto cover all season tired car.

Great car though!
I want high performance, low profile summers for sure. All seasons would be a compromise....and if I wanted a comprise I wouldn't be driving a 5.
With my 550 with Contis on it at about 5 degrees C the traction control light blinks all the time when you give it some gas, switch to my Michelin Pilot Alpins and the same amount of throttle moves the car quickly with no loss of traction. And all this is simply temperature - no snow. A performance car deserves a the right tires for the right conditions. When there actually is snow on the ground I don't drive the car because there are too many morons on the road without the appropriate tires sliding into people.....

Sorry to hear that you think a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins (245/45/18) on OEM 184 wheels are an "ugly set of huge winter tires", I think they look sexy. But to each his own.

My New M5-dsc_0009.jpg
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dekil_3b' post='487677' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:56 PM
GREAT CHOICE!!!
i just bought mine too =p same indy red too =p
Congrats! Enjoy - looking forward to seeing photos. What interior did you get?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Banned

I didnt mean they are simply ugly-I guess relative to performance tires they are ugly on a performance car. And I will say a/s tires are NOT a compromise unless you track your car. I thoroughly tested and pushed my dunlop 01 sport summer tires, mich PS2s and now I am in mich pilot sport a/s and I drive pretty hard and have pushed them to the limit in a city as far as cornering and turns and my mich pilot sport a/s have absolutely been the same as the PS2s-I have not been able to notice a difference. I can barely make them lose grip in a turn even when trying to get the car to slide a bit-which is obviously not even the norm in city driving and like I say the only place youll be drifting a car is on a track and I couldnt even get the tires to lose grip and drift at all.

Second I have driven in 35 degrees quite regularly this past week and noticed no loss in traction. I have not driven an M5 but seeing how you described a smooth power delivery with not as muh torque from down low it seems reasonable to assume you are able to smoothly control acceleration.

To each their own but I do not think Conti tires are a good representation-they rank 11 or 12/15 on tire rack a/s tires and I wouldnt guage them all based on that.

To say a/s tires are all crap makes no sense after my experience with them. The fact of the matter is the performance a/s tires are simply 95 percent thre performance of summer tires except they hold up in cold temps. Probably nearly as useless in snow as summer tires but they do well in cold temps which summers do not.

I am just saying do not judge a/s based on contis-Fact is with an m5 or 550s torque you could lose traction and make the dsc light come on in perfectly warm dry summer conditions if you step on the gas hard-
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='487235' date='Oct 28 2007, 08:22 PM
Well, after chiming in on many post saying a M5 is not practical, a 550 is better value, etc, etc.......and after wondering if I could sleep if night if I drove a car that gets 9 mpg...
Congrats on pulling the trigger! Sorry if this has been asked and answered already: Are you sleeping at night? I'm interested to know what its like going from to the mighty m5 from 550 an original driver!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff
Now with that color, the police can follow you from a mile away........

Beautiful ride....Enjoy
Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I love that color. It gives the ///M5 the exotic pop it needs to go with it's exotic sporting nature. Congrats on your new beast!!

So what mods do you have planned? I have a bunch of suggestions if you'd like to hear them. I love spending other people's money.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='487603' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:47 PM

Great car though!
The very few days that Vancouver does get snow, absolute pandemonium erupts on the roads. There is stress in everyone's mind for days leading up to potential snow. Businesses shut down, people go home early, schools shut down. All of this over less than 4 inches of snow. It is really quite amazing. I do not know what it is about Vancouver and snow, but it is amazing the impact that snow can have on a city of 2 million people. People who are used to snow just laugh at us. I want to arm myself with the best traction I can get, that is why I have dedicated snow tires. I think most people who don't want to be shut down by the snow in Vancouver do the same.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='487827' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:47 AM
I love that color. It gives the ///M5 the exotic pop it needs to go with it's exotic sporting nature. Congrats on your new beast!!

So what mods do you have planned? I have a bunch of suggestions if you'd like to hear them. I love spending other people's money.
I will have to drive it a bit before I decide, I am still getting used to the car. I've got the aluminum pedals and hard wired V1. I have my eye on the carbon fiber mirror insets (but $500 is a bit rich - that's like a week worth of gas ) Probably the first mod will be the sprint booster. I would love to hear your suggestions.