E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5's don't fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by grover432' post='550021' date='Mar 24 2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I agree. Allowing the kid to drive a race car built for the road and not correctly assessing his maturity led to a random freak accident that was 1 million to one. I don't think so! The fact is there are hundreds of these incidents in the US every year. This one made headlines because the extreme operation of an extreme vehicle resulted in a sensational crash. The M5 has really two purposes: (1) to go fast; (2) to provide entertaining transportation. To an 18 year old, #1 is the only thing most would see. If you think differently, you better make sure you know your kid well, or after you hand your kid the keys, you may be burying him just as this parent had to do (if he could find all of the pieces). You can stick your head in the sand and say "shit happens". I agree, when you don't take the necessary caution with your kids, shit is more likely to happen.

Grover,
If you read what I wrote carefully, along with what I wrote previously on the topic, you will see that I am not removing responsibility here. I'm simply saying that we can't condemn the parents (as I myself did) too harshly from one side of our mouth and yell "Woo Hoo!!!!!! " while watching a forum member race his car through traffic on You Tube.
Is it "Nice Driving" as long as no one gets hurt?
We've all (maybe most) have done things behind the wheel that if ended in tragedy would be no surprise in hind sight.
I certainly have, especially as a teenager.
Lets face it, part of the allure of Fast cars, motorcycles and jet skiis is the inherent danger. Not too many guys on www.forums.LeisurlyStroollDownMildIncline.net
When I said "This just occurred to me" I meant it. It just occurred to me after I got home from a pretty aggressive drive.