E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 production stopped!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a call from my dealer today with an invitation to the first VIP premiere of the M5 in Sweden.

It?s up in 3 weeks!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 8 2004, 07:33 AM
Got a call from my dealer today with an invitation to the first VIP premiere of the M5 in Sweden.

It?s up in 3 weeks!!!
[snapback]42608[/snapback]
now you can sleep better .
Old 10-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Met the BMW M boss mr. Ulrich Bruhnke yesterday at the Swedish VIP premiere of the M5. Very nice person that took his time to talk to his customers ( me! ).

He told me that the delay of the M5 was caused by a modification to the E60 early next year taht they want to wait for, before they start producing the M5. He would not tell me what this modification was, but I suppose it?s something significant. Maybe structural? They had also experienced a total breakdown of their testrig for the engine/gearbox, so they now have started building a new one. This will cause some months of the delay!

July delivery is maybe not so bad after all?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 29 2004, 09:47 AM
Met the BMW M boss mr. Ulrich Bruhnke yesterday at the Swedish VIP premiere of the M5. Very nice person that took his time to talk to his customers ( me! ).

He told me that the delay of the M5 was caused by a modification to the E60 early next year taht they want to wait for, before they start producing the M5. He would not tell me what this modification was, but I suppose it?s something significant. Maybe structural? They had also experienced a total breakdown of their testrig for the engine/gearbox, so they now have started building a new one. This will cause some months of the delay!

July delivery is maybe not so bad after all?
[snapback]50791[/snapback]
you should ask him to give you a good discount to compensate the wait .
Old 10-30-2004, 12:01 PM
HIO
Members

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 29 2004, 01:47 PM
He told me that the delay of the M5 was caused by a modification to the E60 early next year taht they want to wait for, before they start producing the M5. He would not tell me what this modification was, but I suppose it?s something significant. Maybe structural?
That?s very interesting, then I wonder if the mods are due to the EuroNCAP crashtest, that?s perhaps some structural thing afterall.
Perhaps members in this forum with cars on order should delay the manufacturing date!!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

HIO

I was thinking the same. Must be something significant ( structural, mechanical etc ). Otherwise I don?t think that they would delay the M5, because there is a big demand for this car. Already 75 sold in Sweden! If you order one today it?s delivery in october 2005, earliest!

If it was a software problem they could easily solve that after the cars were produced.

By the way - congrats to the very nice car you ordered! My friend gets delivery next week of his 535DA touring. Testdrive, testdrive! That engine will be extraordinary. Probably the best diesel engine ever built.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Mr. Bruhnke also told me that there is 920 BMW M5 E39 sold in Sweden!

And that is out of 20.000 total produced. Quite amazing, don?t you think?
Old 10-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

OK...
The rumours I've heard and nobody at BMW wants to confirm...:

The E60 "failed" in the EuroNCAP and got "only" 3 of 5 possible stars in the rating...
Results are not released, since BMW is going to solve the poroblems...
The German T?V heard about that and took a closer look at the next "to be released" 5series, what is the Emmy... and refused the car...
Now BMW is working on making the car safer, so that it doesn'T fail again in the EuroNCAP and that the M5 will get licensed...

But those are rumours...

The truth might be somewhere in between...

So far, NOBODY at BMW is saying ANYTHING, and they even say... "Euro what?"... so it looks like there is a major problem...

Old 10-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Ouch!

That is bad news. Wonder how bad the Euro NCAP test was for the E60?

What if they sold me an expensive luxury class car with bad crash results?

Not good at all!
Old 10-30-2004, 02:24 PM
HIO
Members

Cidair Thanks!
I think it?s quite amazing that a small country like Sweden has relatively big share of M5-cars. I?cant see any reason that there will be any big changes with the new M5.
75 cars ordered already

I?ll try to get some info about the modifications, but i?m not certain how realiable facts my sources can get.

Quick Reply: M5 production stopped!