E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Got new M5!!! 550i was a close 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008 | 09:41 PM
Contributors

what went wrong with the H&R drop?
Old 04-25-2008 | 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='568431' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:39 PM
Why mess with perfection?

well said...
Old 04-25-2008 | 09:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='568432' date='Apr 26 2008, 01:41 AM
what went wrong with the H&R drop?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=why+lower+H

Check above if you have about an hour to kill...

It was improper bump-stock cutting or lack thereof that caused my ongoing, undiagnosed issues from July '07 through the first weel of April '08. It's all good now, although still a bit bumpy.
Old 04-25-2008 | 09:54 PM
Contributors

OMG, its good you changed your car, I just read ur first post. Its awful. gd to know ur back on track.
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='568412' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:00 PM
but i heard the spacers can hurt the rotor badely for HIGH TORQUE ENGINES. Many people are prefering not to put them on V8 engines. So imagine what would happen to ur V10. id watch out if i were you.Tc

Ask around about spacers.gd luck
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... He said HIGH TORQUE ENGINES. 383 ft-lb is high?
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by elyk' post='568422' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know much about spacers, so I can't really chime in on that...
BUT I do have some recommendations
since the vehicle is leased, I wouldn't blow too much on it. I would want to keep the vehicle simple and clean looking.
maybe some new reflectors in the front juts to get rid of the amber and possibly tints?
Holy Crap!, I gotta stop posting such long posts... There has gotta be something better to be doing with my time, but hope this is of some help (I am tempted to delete it)...

Who cares if it is leased, just put it back when you turn it in and sell the parts or sell the car at the end of the lease to a third party and have the dealer transfer directly or just buy it out if you mod it so much you want to keep it for longer...

Again, this is why I hate a lease, but you can't look at it like that. It is just another way of financing. It is your car, you are not renting it. Enjoy it. You only live once...

Spacer's shouldn't be a problem, most peoples with the stock 166 use 10mm spacers all around or 10mm in the back and 12mm in the front. Drop it with RdSport IMHO.

Mine will be dropped with RDSport springs and sway bar kit and new 20" wheels by bimmerfest next weekend

The RDsport springs are about 1/4" lower than H&R (front and back) and with about .10 inch more rake (so actually .35" lower in the front and .25" lower in the back) then the H&R (~1.5" front and ~1" rear). I hear RDSport is a little softer (which sounds good to me). Heck my only worry was that it woudl be too stiff as opposed to the H&R. Seems those that have had both think the RDsport are softer (go figure since it is lower ride height). Also why I went ahead with the sway bar kit. Heck just look at ECF's car and how it sits and rides. Also he is rolling with 20mm spacers with those wheels. I don't think he has any worries using spacers...

A little on the SMG...

Drive the car like a manual. While breaking it in, take it easy and don't use S5 or S6. ALSO, don't drive around a lot below S3 as it slips the clutch alot (stories of someone who burned out their clutch in stop and go in D1 during break-in). The car is a manual it will drive and you need to drive it like a manual. Just remember the car revs up and responds according to your throttle input before/while you input the shift so if you are on the gas when you shift stay on it while it clutches and matches RPM then you can let back off and visa-versa. D3/4 and S3/4 are good for break-in. More gas/rpm will make it shift faster in any mode. Once in a while you'll get a clank or a clunk. You'll figure it out over time. If the SMG get's to be particularly clunky or moody, just reset the SMG by cruising about 40, putting it in neutral and then pulling in both paddles for 2-full second and then return shifter to the right (it's somewhere in the manual, but states to do it if you change tires) it will reset the clutch, etc. It is not a Steptronic it is a manual only the car handles the clutch for you (a process I don't mind giving up at all). D-mode is for cheeseburger eating on the road, it works fairly well, but it is now shifting the manual for you too and it won't do it at your preferred RPM/shift points most of the time. I did use D/S mode 50/50 during break in, though just to make sure I took it easy.

I generally run in S3/4 to warm up and then mostly S5/S6 (now that it is broken-in). Never in S1 or S2, only in S3 for warm-up, sometimes S4 for warm up.

When driving slow it will shift slow, just as you would if you were doing the clutching. Your not going to bang gears at low RPMs / slow speeds, but you can get it to shift faster by pushing further on the pedal (even at slow speeds) you just get to speed quicker then let off (but not in a middle of a shift. You can't escape the feeling the shift just as you will always feel the gear change with a traditional manual.

Congrats on the RIGHT decision. You are gonna luv it more each day... and when you get it broken in and your banging gears in S6 at redline, well, something you just have to experience to appreciate... The M5 is sick. That 550 looked nice too. Well I am kind of partial to a Black BMW and love the way the 550 sits stock... The M5 is a bit of an off-roader at stock height.

Oh, the BMW engineers know what they are doing, but it does not mean that is what you want form your car. They are trying to please everyone and keep it a Sedan... Maybe you are willing to sacrafice the luxury side for a little better performance for example.

My old E39 M5 stock had a little less body roll so I am missing that (not for long, though)...

Nice car man, Enjoy it! BTW, I was just like you until I ran into ECF and the rest of the NorCal / SoCal gang and parked my 4 x 4 next to them, HaHa! (i.e. maybe I'll just paint the wheels...) Heck, I didn't even notice how hideous the orange reflectors were until Vegas so quickly pointed out to me... I think it was the first thing he said when we met. "Is that a 2008? I can tell by those ugly ass reflectors, HaHa.." -V.T.
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='568447' date='Apr 25 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah, not really. (See I can post a short one)...
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='568453' date='Apr 25 2008, 11:26 PM
Heck, I didn't even notice how hideous the orange reflectors were until Vegas so quickly pointed out to me... I think it was the first thing he said when we met. "Is that a 2008? I can tell by those ugly ass reflectors, HaHa.." -V.T.
Even shorter:
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='568447' date='Apr 26 2008, 02:17 AM
I have a 520, so yeah, Pretty high to ME.

but seriously, many people have prefered not to put them on their V8s.read it several places.
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:06 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

spacers wont hurt. that's all.

Quick Reply: Got new M5!!! 550i was a close 2nd