E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Got new M5!!! 550i was a close 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008 | 09:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='568629' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:42 AM
burn more gas! burn more money! just let it burn!! yeah.
You forgot, Burn more rubber!

And smoke most others...
Old 04-26-2008 | 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='567056' date='Apr 24 2008, 05:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I knew it! No way are you leaving us! EuroCarFan, CoolTones, Glock-357, Roleez, freed0m, and snikt21 all picked up Ms and are still here. It's home.
Amen, brother!

And congrats, DrLev99! Awesome choice! Fear not about the spacers. Just picked up my car from Dinan yesterday after they installed their Stage 2 suspension kit (which includes spacers on the front rims). Absolutely AWESOME system. No odd vibrations from the front end from the spacers. And no spring binding (a problem noted by a few M5-ers on M5board). Overall, the system is more stiffer than stock (with all the EDC lights off) but who cares?!! Like the BMWUSA website says about the M5 ... "Race car for 5"!!! Enjoy the many drives you'll have! (But not so much the repeated fuel stops, haha).

Time to go for a post-break-in drive! Just got the engine/trans/diff oils changed. So now it's time to see what that P500S/S6 thing is all about!
Old 04-26-2008 | 11:30 AM
Contributors

It seems ur a big Dinan fan. Ur previous E60 had a Dinan mod too. Nice.Btw love the the color Roleez.UNIQUE
Old 04-26-2008 | 12:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='568715' date='Apr 26 2008, 12:09 PM
Amen, brother!

Time to go for a post-break-in drive! Just got the engine/trans/diff oils changed. So now it's time to see what that P500S/S6 thing is all about!
I think you still need to tale it easy for a bit longer (i.e. slowly start increasing the shift point until like 3,000 or whatever it says in the manual).

You will not really get to feel what P500S / S6 is all about unitl you are shfiting at redline at WOT. On the other hand you do want to seat the rings so a few runs up to redline are always good after the 1200 miles, but I would slowly start increasing the shift point over the next 1000 or so miles and then open it up a few times shfiting at redline. I more or less did this and am not using/burning very much oil at all (i.e. added one quart at about 2800 miles and just now I am about to add another at 7,000) much better than some report (i.e. a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so). After the 1200 mile service I took a trip to LA down Hwy 5 just to run the car, I felt like I was killing it driving around the bay area, stop and go... I don't think I was shifting at redline yet though. I waited for the second stage of the break-in to get to redline. I was probably shifting at about 6500rpm through the gears and running it up to about 135... I remeber my daughter was in the car and I figued o.k. there is 3,000 and hit it... I think I would wait until ~3,000 before you are in S6 at redline...

Oh, funny thing is I hang out here way more than m5board and there are not a lot of posts regarding the M5 here. Just good people here, I guess...
Old 04-26-2008 | 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Thanks again for all of the kind words. Eurocar....you ride is awesome, but I think I will keep mine more stock than yours.

As for some suggesting I drop the ride....screw that! I had too many issues due to the H&R's from my other car, granted they were only springs and not coilvers.

I agree, the stock M5 ride height should be lower, esp. in the front. I prefer the "look" of my current drop on the 530xi compared to the M5, but I really don't want to mess with all of that again. Maybe down the road!

Are there even coilovers available out that are of higher quality and better build which outperform the OEM M5 springs/struts?

I am more interested in the spaces size at this point. I want her mean looking at the butt-end, meaner than it is now, of course! What seems to be the consensus re: the correct sized spacers for the M5 with 166's...? I am too exhausted to do a search and read about offsets again. I did enough of that with my xi!!! Just shoot me sizes for the rear mainly and which makers you guys prefer. H&R's, Rogue Engineering, etc.? I know I'll need longer bolts as well. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2008 | 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Great choice. Here's what I think about leaving it stock:

Old 04-26-2008 | 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='568774' date='Apr 26 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks again for all of the kind words. Eurocar....you ride is awesome, but I think I will keep mine more stock than yours.

As for some suggesting I drop the ride....screw that! I had too many issues due to the H&R's from my other car, granted they were only springs and not coilvers.

I agree, the stock M5 ride height should be lower, esp. in the front. I prefer the "look" of my current drop on the 530xi compared to the M5, but I really don't want to mess with all of that again. Maybe down the road!

Are there even coilovers available out that are of higher quality and better build which outperform the OEM M5 springs/struts?

I am more interested in the spaces size at this point. I want her mean looking at the butt-end, meaner than it is now, of course! What seems to be the consensus re: the correct sized spacers for the M5 with 166's...? I am too exhausted to do a search and read about offsets again. I did enough of that with my xi!!! Just shoot me sizes for the rear mainly and which makers you guys prefer. H&R's, Rogue Engineering, etc.? I know I'll need longer bolts as well. Thanks!
IF you ever do decide to lower the car, you can always try Dinan since they have (or they used to) a satisfaction guarantee on their suspension. If you don't like it, they'll refund your money less the labor costs of course. Dinan springs probably have the least aggressive drop compared to H&R and RDSport so I think the ride is probably more comfortable out of those 3 vendors.

As for coilovers, you'll have the benefit of being able to adjust your height as well as dampening levels to your desired stiffness. The problem is that you'll lose EDC functionality that's why most people don't use them on the M5. I know RDSport is developing a coilover system that will work with EDC but I think the retail price is around $3K. Also, unless you track your car, there's really no need for coilovers since once you set them you'll probably never go back and adjust them as you would on a track.
Old 04-26-2008 | 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Doc - Congrats, car is a beaut! Would've chimed in earlier, but the title of this post looked very similar to your other one...DUH on my part! Enjoy!
Old 04-26-2008 | 03:24 PM
Contributors

OKay, the title says, M5 and the picture shows 550i.....
Old 04-26-2008 | 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='568742' date='Apr 26 2008, 01:04 PM
I think you still need to tale it easy for a bit longer (i.e. slowly start increasing the shift point until like 3,000 or whatever it says in the manual).
Glock-357,
Thanks for the concern! Have no worries, I'm fully aware of the '2nd break-in'. I don't plan on rocket launching the car. I just wanted to see how the shifts feel in S6 without flooring it. I'm still going to take it easy to vary the engine revs. After 1200 miles, ZERO oil consumed!

Quick Reply: Got new M5!!! 550i was a close 2nd