E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 27 2005, 09:50 PM
Ok you posted alot of offtopics....the whole topic is "off topic". It's a nonsense and your the only one really supporting this weird theory to revolutionise logic and experience.
I challenge you to point out a single post of mine that is off topic. The topic is that the QP is faster around the track. I never deviated from the title of the topic, and I dare you to prove so. All of what I have stated are logical conclusions drawn from basic facts. Also I am not only the one 'really supporting this weird theory to revolutionise logic and experience', the people of EVO are on my side as well as most of the people on Maserati/Ferrari forums .

You are attacking me without a reason but that I stated something that contradicts your perceptions about the M5. Please be more objective and try to understand my posts instead of replying in non-scientific manners every time.

Did you even thought that TG didn't test the qp because there was no need to. Jeremy and the folks at top gear don't have great words to say about masserati. Even with the latest model gradsport they said yes it's a few steps further than the coupe but then the coupe was utterly rubish...acording to their statement.
The way you even state TopGear reviews of the Maserati shows that you are not following any scientific approach. "Utterly rubish"? What is that exactly in terms of track times or even drag times, and what is 'utterly rubbish' in terms of handling? And the GranSport is a "few steps further"? How do you define that? You lack logical scientific approach my friend. You lack this in many of your posts. You just talk in a macho man attitude saying "just give me an M5 and I will show them". Do you think you are in a wrestling arena or something?

Please point out the logic chapters where the qp would be better suited or better set up than the m5 for track. Suspension? Now it would have to be a miracle of suspension to take the extra weight and come out on top also... :thumbsdown: Power? no...torque? no...tires? nope....drag cx? don't think so....size? nope....please i'm running out of reasons....OOhhhh yeeeeeeees it might be a screw in the back wishbone that's ferrari's latest work of art in high-tech....yes yes yes that must be it ?
[snapback]189609[/snapback]
Suspension on its own is enough to cause that difference in track time. Do you know that the QP has double wishbones in front and rear? What does the M5 have for suspension configuration: front struts and rear multilink suspension. Isn't this alone enough to result in better handling for the Maserati? I am not claiming that double wishbones front and rear are always better than the M5 suspension layout, but this difference in the configurtaion on its own can explain the better handling of the QP.

And BTW, did you know that the suspension configuration used in the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo and all TVRs is double wishbone front and rear?

You want to talk about suspension. Ok. You know what is the Kingpin angle and how to adjust it to get the perfect turn in for curves? Do you know other factors responsible for better turn in?

And there is also the suspension pick-up points which can cause a great difference in a way a car handles. Did you know that the front suspension pickup points can again change the turn-in prpoerties of the car, while the rear suspension pick-up points choice can add or subtract rear toe-in during cornering, which will in turn affect your cornering speeds?

The QP has front and rear double wishbones with 'Skyhook' adaptive damping system featuring continuosly variable damper settings, which is the same concept as the one BMW in the M5 uses under the name 'EDC' or Electronic Damper control. These types of suspension follow programmed software codes. Isn't there a possibility that the QP has a better software that suits the track than M5's which better suits the road?

And this is for the suspension alone from a general overview without going into suspension designing details. I am not going to go into other details that you mentioned which can all have an effect on the handling of both cars, unless I find that you are more objective in your posts and you want to discuss matters in a scientific manner.

Finally folowing your logic of: 'no way that a heavier car with lower power and torque can get a better track time than a lighter car with more power and torque' can you explain to us how the Maserati MC12 with 630 hp, 481 lbft and 1335 kg of weight (471 bhp/ton, 0-62 3.8 s max of 205 mph) is able to achieve a better track time at your beloved TG track than the Ferrari enzo which has 660 hp, 484 lb ft and just 1255 kg of weight (525 bhp/ton, 0-62 in 3.65 s max of 218 mph)? If you find an answer to that, you will find that it is the same answer to why the QP might be faster than the M5 around a track.

Please re-read what I wrote, and think first before you react.

With regards,

Shebs
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Please drop this post.

It doesn?t contribute anything to this forum.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 29 2005, 12:08 PM
Please drop this post.

[snapback]190540[/snapback]
Agree!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 29 2005, 12:08 PM
Please drop this post.

[snapback]190548[/snapback]
Why doesn't it?

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 29 2005, 08:18 PM
Agree!
How brave!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Jeremy, please bring the container... TG-fans knows what I mean.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:33 AM
[snapback]190672[/snapback]
LOL
Old 10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Oct 29 2005, 05:33 PM
Old 10-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Oct 29 2005, 06:08 PM
Please drop this post.

[snapback]190540[/snapback]

I think it's great. Very entertaining.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Oct 29 2005, 11:33 PM

Wouldn't have see all the TG episodes, but was that the demise of Stig 1 in an old Jag off the deck of a ship? Or something dropped from a height on to, say, a Maserati?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Oct 30 2005, 06:21 AM
[quote name='ipp' date='Oct 29 2005, 11:33 PM']Jeremy, please bring the container... TG-fans knows what I mean.

Wouldn't have see all the TG episodes, but was that the demise of Stig 1 in an old Jag off the deck of a ship? Or something dropped from a height on to, say, a Maserati?
[snapback]190825[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh yeah they dropped a container on a maserati...

Quick Reply: Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?