E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to chime in so late, but I believe many of those "slow" lap times around certain tracks can be attributed to the driver not being familiar with the M5's many suspension and SMG settings. From what I have been reading the "M" setting is too hard for most tracks and that the setting one step down is optimal. I am sure Wolverine will enlighten us all come monday Oct 24th when he picks his up.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by reckamech' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:04 PM
Sorry to chime in so late, but I believe many of those "slow" lap times around certain tracks can be attributed to the driver not being familiar with the M5's many suspension and SMG settings.? From what I have been reading the "M" setting is too hard for most tracks and that the setting one step down is optimal.? I am sure Wolverine will enlighten us all come monday Oct 24th when he picks his up.
[snapback]187785[/snapback]
Ha! Very funny! I will be tracking the car with the OEM wheels and Conti's, but not for a few months. I think you have an excellent point though. I have heard that in the Sport Auto 'Supertest' they found the M5 was faster on some of the 'softer' suspension settings. This may be a case where the settings were not optimal.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by reckamech' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:04 PM
Sorry to chime in so late, but I believe many of those "slow" lap times around certain tracks can be attributed to the driver not being familiar with the M5's many suspension and SMG settings.? From what I have been reading the "M" setting is too hard for most tracks and that the setting one step down is optimal.? I am sure Wolverine will enlighten us all come monday Oct 24th when he picks his up.
I think that's a good point too. Sort of like the iDrive. It doesn't work well if you don't know how to use it.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:15 PM
[quote name='reckamech' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:04 PM']Sorry to chime in so late, but I believe many of those "slow" lap times around certain tracks can be attributed to the driver not being familiar with the M5's many suspension and SMG settings.? From what I have been reading the "M" setting is too hard for most tracks and that the setting one step down is optimal.? I am sure Wolverine will enlighten us all come monday Oct 24th when he picks his up.
I think that's a good point too. Sort of like the iDrive. It doesn't work well if you don't know how to use it.
[snapback]187876[/snapback]
[/quote]
LOL!
Exactly.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:28 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

then the QP ist faster than a 996 Turbo too...

Video
Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

sorrie I couldn't post faster was on vacation in Phoenix arizona! gotta say a very beautiful place but let me get back on topic.

I still find the results fishy @ best, yes I know Maserati is now owned by ferrari but shiss*** let's be real here. Everywhere I've seen tests Maserati's aren't even close to being on top. I even give Top gear more credibility than your so called trust worthy EVO magazine, not to offend anymore but that is saying alot esp. with the way Clarkson reviews cars. Maserati's are beautifully made cars but their performance?? ummh not so sure about that! and this magazine is trying to tell a car that has 100hp less and weighs more is still faster! not a chance in hell not even when you compare the E55 to an M5, the 55 has more torque slightly weighs more and has barely over 30hp less and the M5 barely beats in a straight line. Now we are talking about a car that weighs MORE, key word being MORE and has over a 100hp LESS, and the key word being LESS is going to beat the M5, when a 996 gets smoked yea right! when the guys over @ evo wake up and drink some real coffee tell them to get back to me
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by reckamech' date='Oct 24 2005, 04:04 AM
Good point, but I think the EVO people know a little more about cars than to just try a car with the hardest suspension setting, but still you have a point. They had the test drive done on September issue against the Lamborghini Gallardo. I will try to get that article soon.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Oct 24 2005, 09:28 PM
then the QP ist faster than a 996 Turbo too...?

Video
[snapback]188102[/snapback]

Who said that the QP was faster in a straight line ? You?

Because I never said so . Of course the M5 is faster in a straight line, it has 277 bhp/ton compared to the humble 207 bhp/ton of the QP. But unfortunately the faster car around a track has to have more qualities than just power .
Old 10-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Simple1' date='Oct 25 2005, 01:06 AM
sorrie I couldn't post faster was on vacation in Phoenix arizona! gotta say a very beautiful place but let me get back on topic.

I still find the results fishy @ best, yes I know Maserati is now owned by ferrari but shiss*** let's be real here.? Everywhere I've seen tests Maserati's aren't even close to being on top.? I even give Top gear more credibility than your so called trust worthy EVO magazine, not to offend anymore but that is saying alot esp. with the way Clarkson reviews cars.? Maserati's are beautifully made cars but their performance?? ummh not so sure about that! and this magazine is trying to tell a car that has 100hp less and weighs more is still faster! not a chance in hell not even when you compare the E55 to an M5, the 55 has more torque slightly weighs more and has barely over 30hp less and the M5 barely beats in a straight line.? Now we are talking about a car that weighs MORE, key word being MORE and has over a 100hp LESS, and the key word being LESS is going to beat the M5, when a 996 gets smoked yea right! when the guys over @ evo wake up and drink some real coffee tell them to get back to me
[snapback]188192[/snapback]

An reply to an post with an video having information .

What has the E55 AMG got to do with track times ? Anyone who understands how a car works knows that the E55 has no chance in recording a better track time than a QP or a BMW M5, due to its wobbly handling and soft setup.

And who said that TopGear wasn't credible? I never said so. If you can find a track time for the QP on TopGear's circuit, I'd be delighted to see it.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:34 AM
[quote name='Simple1' date='Oct 25 2005, 01:06 AM']sorrie I couldn't post faster was on vacation in Phoenix arizona! gotta say a very beautiful place but let me get back on topic.

I still find the results fishy @ best, yes I know Maserati is now owned by ferrari but shiss*** let's be real here.? Everywhere I've seen tests Maserati's aren't even close to being on top.? I even give Top gear more credibility than your so called trust worthy EVO magazine, not to offend anymore but that is saying alot esp. with the way Clarkson reviews cars.? Maserati's are beautifully made cars but their performance?? ummh not so sure about that! and this magazine is trying to tell a car that has 100hp less and weighs more is still faster! not a chance in hell not even when you compare the E55 to an M5, the 55 has more torque slightly weighs more and has barely over 30hp less and the M5 barely beats in a straight line.? Now we are talking about a car that weighs MORE, key word being MORE and has over a 100hp LESS, and the key word being LESS is going to beat the M5, when a 996 gets smoked yea right! when the guys over @ evo wake up and drink some real coffee tell them to get back to me
[snapback]188192[/snapback]
An reply to an post with an video having information

What has the E55 AMG got to do with track times ? Anyone who understands how a car works knows that the E55 has no chance in recording a better track time than a QP or a BMW M5, due to its wobbly handling and soft setup.

And who said that TopGear wasn't credible? I never said so. If you can find a track time for the QP on TopGear's circuit, I'd be delighted to see it.
[snapback]188323[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ok you posted alot of offtopics....the whole topic is "off topic". It's a nonsense and your the only one really supporting this weird theory to revolutionise logic and experience.
Did you even thought that TG didn't test the qp because there was no need to. Jeremy and the folks at top gear don't have great words to say about masserati. Even with the latest model gradsport they said yes it's a few steps further than the coupe but then the coupe was utterly rubish...acording to their statement.

Please point out the logic chapters where the qp would be better suited or better set up than the m5 for track. Suspension? Now it would have to be a miracle of suspension to take the extra weight and come out on top also... :thumbsdown: Power? no...torque? no...tires? nope....drag cx? don't think so....size? nope....please i'm running out of reasons....OOhhhh yeeeeeeees it might be a screw in the back wishbone that's ferrari's latest work of art in high-tech....yes yes yes that must be it

Quick Reply: Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?