E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Burnt Clutch on an M5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the last guy just did some massive LC's for 2K miles it sounds like an installation error that might have occured. It's not like you are dropping the clutch and taking off like a bat out of hell all the time.

The throw out bearing too? - Most of the time they go out due to Riding the Clutch on a 6MT. Did they show you the clutch? Is it glazed really bad?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrmomoman' post='1044169' date='Oct 31 2009, 10:26 AM
Unless the last guy just did some massive LC's for 2K miles it sounds like an installation error that might have occured. It's not like you are dropping the clutch and taking off like a bat out of hell all the time.

The throw out bearing too? - Most of the time they go out due to Riding the Clutch on a 6MT. Did they show you the clutch? Is it glazed really bad?
i have not seen the clutch yet i'm gonna go check it out tomorrow
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Members

Good luck I hope they find a way to rectify their problem. Especially if they did the repairs. If you know for certain no LC's were done then I would challenge them to explain to you how this could go out in a Transmission that doesn't allow for Riding of the Clutch or 3000-4500 RPM clutch dumps.

I would contact BMWNA and tell them you are going in and would like to also schedule a BMW REP for warranty repairs to come out and take a look with you.

I had an issue with my wheels for the M5 E39 as the Chrome Shadow was showing black spots. They blamed it on me and the products I was using. I told them warm soap and water cannot be blamed so i made them bring a rep. In th end they agreed to front 75% of the costs to have them repainted. I told them that would not be an option. I wanted replacements. They ended replacing 3/4 and I paid 1/2 of the 4th one.

BMWNA knows my history of owning BMW cars. I lemoned an 02 745iL's when they came out in 02. Car turning off in the middle of the highway can end up in a large lawsuit. So they knew they were in trouble.
But I have been back and back again to BMW. I would state my case that way. You are a BMW fanatic and you will continue to be but experiences like this one makes you wonder why should your next car be BWM.

If you have a history of owning BMW's that have registered with BMW warranty then use it and tell them to look them up. Make them understand you are not just another guy who drives a badge but you enjoy the brand.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrmomoman' post='1044643' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:31 AM
Good luck I hope they find a way to rectify their problem. Especially if they did the repairs. If you know for certain no LC's were done then I would challenge them to explain to you how this could go out in a Transmission that doesn't allow for Riding of the Clutch or 3000-4500 RPM clutch dumps.

I would contact BMWNA and tell them you are going in and would like to also schedule a BMW REP for warranty repairs to come out and take a look with you.

I had an issue with my wheels for the M5 E39 as the Chrome Shadow was showing black spots. They blamed it on me and the products I was using. I told them warm soap and water cannot be blamed so i made them bring a rep. In th end they agreed to front 75% of the costs to have them repainted. I told them that would not be an option. I wanted replacements. They ended replacing 3/4 and I paid 1/2 of the 4th one.

BMWNA knows my history of owning BMW cars. I lemoned an 02 745iL's when they came out in 02. Car turning off in the middle of the highway can end up in a large lawsuit. So they knew they were in trouble.
But I have been back and back again to BMW. I would state my case that way. You are a BMW fanatic and you will continue to be but experiences like this one makes you wonder why should your next car be BWM.

If you have a history of owning BMW's that have registered with BMW warranty then use it and tell them to look them up. Make them understand you are not just another guy who drives a badge but you enjoy the brand.

thats my exact strategy i've owned over 5 bmws thanks for you input
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Just got off the phone with NA they said "due to an outside influence we will not be offering any assistance"

can someone tell me wtf they would do in this situation?

i'm loosing my mind
Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by 545iPoeser' post='1045429' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:33 PM
Just got off the phone with NA they said "due to an outside influence we will not be offering any assistance"

can someone tell me wtf they would do in this situation?

i'm loosing my mind
What the heck does "outside influence" mean?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

What does outside influence mean???? E60.net?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

You could always try BMW NA again to escalate, but if I were you I'd probably look at a plan B. Don't waste any more time. The car is a CPO, right? If you have a lawyer, get them involved. If you don't, get one. At a minimum, you need to understand why BMW is trying to wash their hands of this.
Good luck.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1045432' date='Nov 2 2009, 02:38 PM
What the heck does "outside influence" mean?
outside influence means that it is beyond internal failure and the cause was not due to any of their influence.

basically the car was abused
Old 11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

so now i tell them i want to take the car out and bring it to my guy, and they say i need to pay for the labor for 10.5 hours which is $1680 just to say goodye without parts

Quick Reply: Burnt Clutch on an M5?