E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wow! Is the 545i really that limited???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miguex' post='1025090' date='Oct 5 2009, 12:56 PM
Got it Miguex, thanks.

You are right, gears are the best mods for ANY car!

Thanks,
Hard45
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by hard45' post='1025367' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:16 PM
I added the little things [RPI scoop, sprintbooster, K&N/removed charcoal] and ran it at the track and the car seemed to run about the same as stock. However, I am running the same ET's with but with worse 60' times since the car now seems a little more difficult to keep the tires from spinning at the starting line. That is why I'm dying for a good tune. I believe this car can hit the 13.2 to 13.1 mark with some sticky tires, my current mods and a good tune.
Exactly! you need the LSD! it solves the problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

On the surface it may be disappointing that there are not more engine mods for the 545i motor. The best "mod" is not available here. Alpina supercharges the 4.4L motor in their B5 resulting in 500HP.

However I have the Dinan stage 1 software, exhaust and the Quaife LSD combined with lightweight wheels and normal tires. I find this set up pretty damn fast. In sport mode if I hit it I think the car flies. I seem to run out of road pretty damn quickly. Set up right it?s a damn fast car. Because of the low end torque combined with the high end HP on the street the car feels as fast as my 06 M3 was.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='1025470' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:34 PM
On the surface it may be disappointing that there are not more engine mods for the 545i motor. The best "mod" is not available here. Alpina supercharges the 4.4L motor in their B5 resulting in 500HP.

However I have the Dinan stage 1 software, exhaust and the Quaife LSD combined with lightweight wheels and normal tires. I find this set up pretty damn fast. In sport mode if I hit it I think the car flies. I seem to run out of road pretty damn quickly. Set up right it?s a damn fast car. Because of the low end torque combined with the high end HP on the street the car feels as fast as my 06 M3 was.
Okay, you mentioned sports mode, do you mean the DS mode? My car seems peppier on M mode. At the track on Manual mode, I noticed that for me, it is best to heat the tires with both DTC and DSC disabled (push and hold) then as I proceed to stage, enable only the DTC (one quick push) for so some traction otherwise it goes in smoke.

Every one keeps throwing out the Dinan word out there but I've seen these Dinan cars at the track and I've known owners of both 545i and M cars and they all said the same thing: "gains are marginal at best". I don't mind paying for a good tune but I am NOT paying close to a grand with dyno for some 5rwhp Heck, if that's case, I just ride around with no spare tire/jack and with only 5 gallons of gas...my daily commute is about 12 miles round trip.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm asking too much out of this car in terms of speed. Let's face it guys, we are loosing the speed battle to models such as the new Genesis, G8, G35 or even the new SHO just to name a few? I know these cars are not in the exact same league but hey, they can dish out a good fight and very likely win as well. My super heavy 545i needs some help!!!

Thanks,
Hard45
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hard45' post='1025511' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:31 PM
Okay, you mentioned sports mode, do you mean the DS mode? My car seems peppier on M mode. At the track on Manual mode, I noticed that for me, it is best to heat the tires with both DTC and DSC disabled (push and hold) then as I proceed to stage, enable only the DTC (one quick push) for so some traction otherwise it goes in smoke.

Every one keeps throwing out the Dinan word out there but I've seen these Dinan cars at the track and I've known owners of both 545i and M cars and they all said the same thing: "gains are marginal at best". I don't mind paying for a good tune but I am NOT paying close to a grand with dyno for some 5rwhp Heck, if that's case, I just ride around with no spare tire/jack and with only 5 gallons of gas...my daily commute is about 12 miles round trip.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm asking too much out of this car in terms of speed. Let's face it guys, we are loosing the speed battle to models such as the new Genesis, G8, G35 or even the new SHO just to name a few? I know these cars are not in the exact same league but hey, they can dish out a good fight and very likely win as well. My super heavy 545i needs some help!!!

Thanks,
Hard45
The Dinan tune improves driveability, shift points and throttle response more than overall HP. More HP is always good but in the real world if you add 20-30HP your only going to feel it when you have the car floored and at the last couple hundred RPM before the red line. Not something you are you going to use often unless you live at the track or drive like a nut.

Cars have been getting faster for years but I think those days are waning as the carbon crunchies take over the world. Best 0-60 time I have seen for 545i was 4.8, a new M3 is about 4.4, my 06 M3 was about 4.6-4.8 but you had dump the clutch hard and whale the piss out of it to get those times. I'm not worried about an SHO...

What you need is very light forged wheels, non run flat tires (more weight reduction), a Quaife LSD (to get the power down) and a good tune from the company of your choice. If the car isn't fast enough then start saving for an M5.