E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What is Tonymac doing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011 | 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Here is an update. I did a quick mockup before fitting the Orions just to see if I remember where everything went LOL. So far I am in love!

Also, you can really see the difference with the clear lens in the last picture. With the OEM lenses, you could not see the lever that flips for the High beams but you can with the clears!

Old 09-25-2011 | 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Tony, so far, of all the LCI xenons I have done, the clients' request has been to black out the corner lens as well, obviously at the expense of losing cornering lights functionality.

Don't know if you want to do that, but I personally think it looks a lot better (even). Otherwise because of the rest of the black(ness), that part really really stands out.
Old 09-25-2011 | 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Jeez, bro, with all this awesomeness going on, you making a bro get some thinking done about ordering up some of those bad-ass orions for myself... just when I thought I was out...

Good luck finishing up this mod, Tony! Can't wait to see the end result - and I'm sure you too. Respect for having the cojones to tackle this, man!
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Tony, so far, of all the LCI xenons I have done, the clients' request has been to black out the corner lens as well, obviously at the expense of losing cornering lights functionality.

Don't know if you want to do that, but I personally think it looks a lot better (even). Otherwise because of the rest of the black(ness), that part really really stands out.
Well, after mocking it up, I did not like how it looked with the chrome reflector. It has since been painted. Right now I am laying back chillin waiting for the paint to dry. After that, I am going to polish up the clear plastic of the headlights so it all looks good together.

By the way, I am pretty sure I have the wrong rings from ümmitza. They are smaller than the ones I saw you put on the LCI you did and it did not come with a harness.
Originally Posted by v_therussian
Jeez, bro, with all this awesomeness going on, you making a bro get some thinking done about ordering up some of those bad-ass orions for myself... just when I thought I was out...

Good luck finishing up this mod, Tony! Can't wait to see the end result - and I'm sure you too. Respect for having the cojones to tackle this, man!
Bro, if I can do it, you can do it. I am not saying I am not a tinkerer, I was just scared to death lol.
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

LOL dude, I told myself I was gonna stop the modding and try to sell this tin can... well, if I do keep it - which it looks like might actually happen now - I've got to do the steering wheel re-wrap ASAP bc the leather is fading badly. But I'm not saying I'll be able to hold myself back from Orions... dammit
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Wow.

I have a broken extra headlight and I decided to try cutting the cover. It looks horrible now and I would never had a courage to do it on my headlights! So --> !

- Antti -
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by tonymac
By the way, I am pretty sure I have the wrong rings from ümmitza. They are smaller than the ones I saw you put on the LCI you did and it did not come with a harness.
Really? Message me pics. I thought I had this figured out with Umnitza. Your big rings are too small?

Antti: you cut opened a headlight and it didn't go well?
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Antti: you cut opened a headlight and it didn't go well?
Yes, but it is a spare one. A broken unit that I got somewhere. It was supposed to be a one to practice with. Well, I did, and the cut looks horrible.

- Antti -
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

Antti, you are the Mod king bro. Did you use an oscillating tool or a soldiering iron?

If you look at the cuts I made they are pretty straight. I used a Dremil Multi-tool. Took my time and got some advice from a genius to have some ice water nearby. When it gets too hot it melts instead of cut so you dip the tip (of the cutting tool funny guys) in the ice water and proceed. Worked like a charm.
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:49 AM
Contributors

A mod king?! Lol !

I used a regular Dremel replica with a round cutting blade. I'm pretty sure I'm leaving my real headlights alone.
I really appreciate what you guys are doing there . This thread along the others gives me a lot of inspiration to start switching the M5 fenders. They've been laying around long enough.

- Antti -

Quick Reply: What is Tonymac doing?